Thread: DC Mayor, and Police Chief Announce New Anti-Gun Plan

Post imported post

This latest stupid, totalitarian move by DC Government officials seeks not only to violate 2nd Amendment rights, but also 4th Amendment rights.

Be sure to read the comments about the article, too. More and more comments keep appearing -- nearly all of which deride this latest plan by the mayor and police chief as completely ridiculous and wrong.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031202717.html

D.C. Mayor, Police Chief Announce New Anti-Gun Plan

By Allison Klein Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008; 2:38 PM

D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) and Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier announced several new initiatives today aimed at combating gun crimes, including one encouraging residents to submit to voluntary searches of their homes in exchange for amnesty if the residents have illegal guns or drugs.
    The "safe homes initiative" is aimed at residents, such as parents or guardians who know or suspect their children have guns in their home, who want to cooperate with police, Lanier said.
    "If we come across illegal contraband, we will confiscate it," Lanier said. "But amnesty means amnesty. We're trying to get guns and drugs off the street."
    All seized guns will be tested to see whether they have been used in criminal activity. If they have, police may initiate a criminal investigation, Lanier said.
    The program will begin March 24 in the Washington Highlands area of Southeast Washington, where officers will go door to door asking residents for permission to search their homes. It will then expand to other areas of the city.
    In addition to the safe homes initiative, D.C. police are starting to hold monthly meetings with law enforcement partners to identify trends in gun-related crimes.
    "We are not satisfied with the number of guns on the streets of the District of Columbia," Fenty said.
    Next week, the Supreme Court is set to examine the District's ban on handguns.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Wasn't it Boston that was going to try a version of this late last year?

Just tell the radio stations to tell their listeners to refuse consent to searches.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

One of the people who posted a comment said something about hearing that this wasn't working in Boston.

Post imported post

Just when I think the lefties couldn't possibly be more stupid, something like this comes along......

Post imported post

Here's a link to the Channel 9 website article on this topic:

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...?storyid=69579

Check out the comments.

Also click the link in the last sentence of the article to check out Bruce Johnson's blog.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Maybe a bunch of civil rights-minded folks can go door to door just ahead of the police squads tellingresidents not to consent.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Welcome to Washington DC or should I say Nazi Germany. Unfortunately, a majority of DC residents might think this is a good idea(including the politicians who live there). It's amazing to me that just 20 minutes from my house is a totally different country. So what, give criminals amnestyso that the next day they can return to their illegal activities. This just shows how any measure of gun controldirectly effects law-abiding people. Gun control gives criminalsthe control overthose who can't legally own a gun. What's next another buy back program to rid the streets of broken firearms?

Freakin' stupid man!

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Maybe a bunch of civil rights-minded folks can go door to door just ahead of the police squads tellingresidents not to consent.

Well, in some neighborhoods that may be a bad idea.

But a flyer campaign might be effective. If nothing else, it'll piss off the high and mighty, and there's something to be said for that.

Post imported post

"If we come across illegal contraband, we will confiscate it," Lanier said. "But amnesty means amnesty. We're trying to get guns and drugs off the street."
    All seized guns will be tested to see whether they have been used in criminal activity. If they have, police may initiate a criminal investigation, Lanier said.
    So how exactly is that amnesty?
    -Unrequited

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Well, in some neighborhoods that may be a bad idea.

Good point.

Hey! I know! We'll just dress gangsta-style*, but leave all our bling back at the crib!

*You've been wanting to improve my fashion sense for quite a while. If this doesn't solve it, nothing will.

PS: I like the flyer campaign idea.

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    Yeah, that was so blatant I didn't think it needed highlighting.

They don't usually tip their hand so quickly, do they?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    unrequited wrote:
    Yeah, that was so blatant I didn't think it needed highlighting.
    And some people wonder why I object to police asking consent to search me/my car. Look at where it can, and has, led. Sheesh.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Post imported post

Do what I call a Nancy Reagan, just say NO!

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Post imported post

Sounds to me like the political hacks from D.C. are not at all confident in prevailing in the upcoming supreme court decision regarding their handgun ban. They are already scrambling for alternatives months before the high court is expected to announce their decision.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    "All seized guns will be tested to see whether they have been used in criminal activity. If they have, police may initiate a criminal investigation, Lanier said.
    Interesting thought. Is a gun "used" in a crime by virtue of the fact that it's in your house, and not in the entryway, since it's in fact illegal to carry a gun from one room in your house to another?

And by the way, it seems odd to me that the police get to choose which laws they enforce. Obviously I don't agree with the gun ban, but the police should not have the freedom to say they won't prosecute some individuals for violation of that law, while they will prosecute others. I'm not a lawyer, I'm sure there's tons of case law on this. Just kind of interesting, isn't that ground for appeal for others who have been convicted of the crime? If nothing else, it's UNEQUAL protection under the law.