• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Left Hand Canyon

Evil Ernie

imported post

To all my Colorado brothers and sisters, anyone know if the Left Hand Canyon range above Boulder is still open? I had heard some rumors but still haven't had the time to get up there and check. I usually go prospecting up there, but haven't in some time.

denwego

imported post

I was up there last weekend, and the place was hopping as always. The rangers have been around more frequently, making people follow the rules and pick up their trash, but otherwise it's business as usual.

denwego

imported post

They're being stricter about enforcing the rules against shooting that sort of stuff, but it's a huge place and (as far as I know) there are only the two rangers, so people still do it anyways. One thing they're really cracking down on is people shooting over the horizon. They've had a few incidents over the past year where bullets coming back down to earth have landed around people driving ATVs, hiking, etc, on the trails to the east and south of the place where most people do their shooting... it's common sense to not do that for most folks, but apparently not everyone.

One of the nicer things some people have done is set up some stands down at the end of the canyon for people to attach paper targets to. The rangers normally frown on people leaving that sort of permanent things up there, but it keeps people from shooting at live trees, so it's become a handy new tool. Give it a whirl!

Evil Ernie

imported post

Wow what a drag!!!! I prospect up there on occasion and getting a few target rounds off would cap an otherwise great day of diggin. It would have been nice if they would have come up with a better solution before just closing it down.
I've heard about many acts of irresponsibility up there and the overall design does leave a lot to be desired as far as safety is concerned.

I just don't understand why some folks have to pretend that they're in Falusia or something when they get out in the forest. I went digging on the south side of Idaho Springs one day (the old GS camp) and two guys were up there with leveractions just hipshotting lead in all directions. No wonder I get a bonanza of lead fragments when I go metal detecting up there.

denwego

imported post

That's f**king ridiculous. Way for irresponsible idiots to ruin it for the rest of us.

Time to find a new place in Roosevelt for the weekends :cuss:

Evil Ernie

imported post

Just spoke to a friend of mine at work, evidently folks haven't heard that it's off limits. Last weekend quite a few people were up there slingin lead all over the place. I haven't heard that it was reopened (no news on the NFS site), nor did my friend see any postings or signage to denote it's closure. Is there anyone up that way to verify?

Adamdude04

imported post

I heard about the closing via Fox31 News. I have yet to go up and check it out. But via the last post from evil, if no signs..might as well go up and shoot. If the Police show up, play dumb. Unless there is a sign posted, you are doing nothing wrong. Now from what I seen on the news there were signs posted..but someone may have tore them down.

I'll be going up myself now to see if there are any signs, if not, you can expect to find me up there. I have bought a lot of ammo over this winter season, so I have a few thousand rounds of .40sw to put through my black XD40 (carry gun, practice makes perfect!)

-A

l_d29e25223f30cc281b2e244bbec0da98.jpg

Adamdude04

imported post

So today was my day off (wow lucky me!) and I decided to take a nice lil drive now that the weather is nice outside.. I live in DTC (Denver Tech Center) so it was a bit of a hike..

New fresh signs posted, NO TRASH!!, and no one up there..I took a few pics. I'll upload them tonight, and post them. Bummer..I even had a few guns with me too that I wanted to shoot in hopes there were no signs..:?

SANDCREEK

imported post

Off topic a bit - sorry. My daughter applied for her CO CWP on Mar 17th, 2008. Still not received it. I received mine about a year & a half ago in just 12 days. Anyone know if this is currently typical- due to large volume of applications? (as I suspect) El Paso County resident.

FogRider

imported post

SANDCREEK wrote:
Off topic a bit - sorry. My daughter applied for her CO CWP on Mar 17th, 2008. Still not received it. I received mine about a year & a half ago in just 12 days. Anyone know if this is currently typical- due to large volume of applications? (as I suspect) El Paso County resident.
I took quite a while to get mine in Arapahoe Co. The dep. in charge said it was due to volume. Apparently by June of '07 they had recieved as many applications as they had in all of 2006.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Two weeks for mine back in Feb. for Douglas Co. El Paso is backlogged up the yin yang from what I've heard. You might want to gently inquire, just to make sure nothing is wrong, but they do have 90 days to deny. Sheriff Maketa is a staunch supporter of RKBA and self defense. He even goes as far as to send thank you letters to permit recipients for taking a stand against the bad guys.

forum

imported post

Don't I wish, I'm at 46 days so far on mine from Adams county. They said more than likely at least 60 days so it's still going to be a while.

As far as other places to shoot I know of a few(and more is always better), but its hard to describe how to get to them. However if anyone ever wants to go shooting I'm always up for a few(hundred?) rounds.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Thanks for the come-backs on CWP delay. As I suspected...... a log-jam! I didn't want to "bug"Sheriff Maketa's office. Those gals are busy enough trying to get the permits mailed out I'm sure. Guess daughter will just have to be patient OR ...OC !

FogRider

imported post

forum wrote:
Don't I wish, I'm at 46 days so far on mine from Adams county. They said more than likely at least 60 days so it's still going to be a while.

As far as other places to shoot I know of a few(and more is always better), but its hard to describe how to get to them. However if anyone ever wants to go shooting I'm always up for a few(hundred?) rounds.
If you are talking about places along the front range I'll grab a few guns and join you sometime. Just name a time and a place to meet.