• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just a few recent OC experiences

Manka Cat

imported post

As I posted before in the Wyoming section, I've been kicked out of one liquor store, and asked to leave another. Both times I tried to explain my position, and the law, (since neither person seemed to realize this was legal. I left after only a few seconds though, so as not to be trespassing, and have not returned. (For those of you living in Cody or Wyoming, Discount Liquors by the Maverick asked me to leave. The other store was new, I don't remember the name. It's behind Burger King.)

So, now I shop at Eastgate Liquors, since they are the only other place that doesn't have a bar built in with no distinguishable separation between bar/store. I have been in there at least five times now, dealt with three different women, and have never had a hard time. They are a bit more pricey, but I shop there anyway, so I don't have to disarm.

I was in there earlier today for a bottle of wine, and it was one of the women I dealt with before. She asked for ID, and I gave it to her, commenting she carded me a few days ago. She looked at my ID, and said "Oh right. The guy with the gun".

After a moment she says, "By the way, my manager say you on the camera last time, and doesn't think carrying in a liquor store is a good idea. We have a lot of women working here, and they will think you are to rob them."

This is of course, at least in my opinion, one of the dumbest responses you can get. If I was going to rob you, would I shop pleasantly with my fiance and keep the gun in plain sight for a while before checking out???

I said to her, "Well, hopefully everyone here will get to know me, and learn that I'm not here to hurt them, just to shop. Your manager may not feel its a good idea, but it is legal, and I'm not going to forfeit my right for the ease of others. If someone thinks I'm going to rob them, I'll deal with that when it happens, but I'm not here to hurt anybody. If your manager decides to make it store policy that no guns are allowed, I'll respect it, but I'll shop somewhere else, or at least only use the drive-through."

She asked if I was having some sort of problem that I needed a gun to deal with. I said no. Then I said, while paying, "I purposely shop here even though it's a little more expensive because I've carried in here before with no problem."

Hopefully that part gets back to her manager.

I also had an encounter at Wal-Mart (where I open carry regularly with no trouble so far by the way) with a cashier. She eyed it for several minutes while I was in line, (at least she noticed), and then carded me to buy a movie. I gave her my ID, and she said, "Yeah, you have to 17 to buy an R rated movie...." I said, "Oh, its ok. I'm 21." Then I paused, and hoping to break the tension about my gun a little added with a smile, "I do have a gun after all."

She looked at it again, and handed back my ID without even checking it. "That makes me nervous...."

"No need for that," I said. "If I was here to hurt someone, I wouldn't have it in the open, right?"

She said "Well, some people can be really crazy or messed up. Is that even legal?" This was my first time to get asked this. I said, "Yes, absolutely. Thats part of why I do it. No one seems to realize its legal."

"But not everywhere right?"

"No, not in government buildings, and not in all states. But in Wyoming it is."

She didn't say anything else, and I tried to make my voice gentle and comforting, but confidant, so she would believe I knew what I was talking about.

I'm still new to OC, and need to get more comfortable with it before I can respond as well as possible. I'm learning and getting better. Let me know how you guys thought I did, or what you think I should do different. I feel happy with my responses, but always wish I had been able to say more to educate the people I was talking to. Hopefully I don't find a "No Guns Allowed" sign next time I go to Eastgate.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Sorry bout the Liqour Stores.

OC everytime I go to Stores here in SLC.

1 time there was a brief conversation with a teller about carrying. One of her co-workers overheard us, he said that he has a CCW, and agreed that OCing was 100% Legal.

We had a good conversation.

I stated to the one teller sarcastically "We love Gun Control. ESPECIALLY the Criminals, It just makes their job SOOO much easier. She looked at me wierd and said something to the effect "That is true, nobody has put it that way before. That makes sense". I hope I have "converted" another one

TJ

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Manka Cat wrote:
As I posted before in the Wyoming section, I've been kicked out of one liquor store, and asked to leave another. Both times I tried to explain my position, and the law, (since neither person seemed to realize this was legal. I left after only a few seconds though, so as not to be trespassing, and have not returned. (For those of you living in Cody or Wyoming, Discount Liquors by the Maverick asked me to leave. The other store was new, I don't remember the name. It's behind Burger King.)

So, now I shop at Eastgate Liquors, since they are the only other place that doesn't have a bar built in with no distinguishable separation between bar/store. I have been in there at least five times now, dealt with three different women, and have never had a hard time. They are a bit more pricey, but I shop there anyway, so I don't have to disarm.

I was in there earlier today for a bottle of wine, and it was one of the women I dealt with before. She asked for ID, and I gave it to her, commenting she carded me a few days ago. She looked at my ID, and said "Oh right. The guy with the gun".

After a moment she says, "By the way, my manager say you on the camera last time, and doesn't think carrying in a liquor store is a good idea. We have a lot of women working here, and they will think you are to rob them."

This is of course, at least in my opinion, one of the dumbest responses you can get. If I was going to rob you, would I shop pleasantly with my fiance and keep the gun in plain sight for a while before checking out???

I said to her, "Well, hopefully everyone here will get to know me, and learn that I'm not here to hurt them, just to shop. Your manager may not feel its a good idea, but it is legal, and I'm not going to forfeit my right for the ease of others. If someone thinks I'm going to rob them, I'll deal with that when it happens, but I'm not here to hurt anybody. If your manager decides to make it store policy that no guns are allowed, I'll respect it, but I'll shop somewhere else, or at least only use the drive-through."

She asked if I was having some sort of problem that I needed a gun to deal with. I said no. Then I said, while paying, "I purposely shop here even though it's a little more expensive because I've carried in here before with no problem."

Hopefully that part gets back to her manager.

I also had an encounter at Wal-Mart (where I open carry regularly with no trouble so far by the way) with a cashier. She eyed it for several minutes while I was in line, (at least she noticed), and then carded me to buy a movie. I gave her my ID, and she said, "Yeah, you have to 17 to buy an R rated movie...." I said, "Oh, its ok. I'm 21." Then I paused, and hoping to break the tension about my gun a little added with a smile, "I do have a gun after all."

She looked at it again, and handed back my ID without even checking it. "That makes me nervous...."

"No need for that," I said. "If I was here to hurt someone, I wouldn't have it in the open, right?"

She said "Well, some people can be really crazy or messed up. Is that even legal?" This was my first time to get asked this. I said, "Yes, absolutely. Thats part of why I do it. No one seems to realize its legal."

"But not everywhere right?"

"No, not in government buildings, and not in all states. But in Wyoming it is."

She didn't say anything else, and I tried to make my voice gentle and comforting, but confidant, so she would believe I knew what I was talking about.

I'm still new to OC, and need to get more comfortable with it before I can respond as well as possible. I'm learning and getting better. Let me know how you guys thought I did, or what you think I should do different. I feel happy with my responses, but always wish I had been able to say more to educate the people I was talking to. Hopefully I don't find a "No Guns Allowed" sign next time I go to Eastgate.
It's your age. Most of the problems I hear about with open carry are with males between 18 and 25 years old. Not fair, but.. Sounds like you are doing it right, dress appropriately and be polite. A nice smile can go a long way.

MustangDave

imported post

I know what you're going through, I'm 22 and someone in November said they though I was 14. I know I look young, but 14? Although I have never been asked to leave I have gotten some weird looks.

So far I've only been asked about it once, guy thought I worked for an armored car service.

squarepeg

imported post

MustangDave wrote:
I know what you're going through, I'm 22 and someone in November said they though I was 14. I know I look young, but 14? Although I have never been asked to leave I have gotten some weird looks.
Grow some facial hair, it should help in the age department.:dude: To the OP, sounds like you did well. I think it is useless to just say "its my right" or becasue I can. I think you spoke fine. Hey the cashier didn't go running for her manager, so at least you didn't scare her. :)

compmanio365

imported post

I know the facial hair has helped me.......22, but I know I look more like in my 30s.......

What I end up doing most of the time is asking for the general manager of any store that I am being asked to leave, rather than taking it at the word of the employee, or even the assistant manager, as I have encountered before at Walmart. An assistant manager has no authority to ask you to leave, nor does an employee, generally.

After hearing from the assistant manager at one of the Walmart stores around here that I had to leave cause I was OCing, I asked for the general manager, and he was quite apologetic about the treatment I received, and had no issue at all with my carry. I haven't heard anything about it since, so I can only assume the assistant manager was reprimanded for his actions.

Don't be belligerent, and respect private property, but it's usually good to verify a business' stance from the person in charge before writing them off. If the person in charge at that store says you have to go, then inform them you'll be taking your business to their competitors, and informing their upper management of this fact, and then leave so you are not trespassing.......of course, I don't know if the law in WY is different where you have to be a lot more careful about sticking around after you are told to get out.....even if it is only a employee with no authority in the business. Don't do anything to get arrested, obviously. :)

Prophet

imported post

MustangDave wrote:

So far I've only been asked about it once, guy thought I worked for an armored car service.
start smoking cigarrettes...everyone looks older and cooler when they smoke cigarettes...or at least thats what the movie waiting taught me.

protector84

imported post

It seems like people are obsessed with how one should appear while carrying. I can understand looking decent whether or not you are carrying simply to exhibit good culture. However, taking it to the level of growing facial hair to look older so that people won't think you are suspicious while carrying is ridiculous. Just as one should support the 2nd Amendment, it is also important to support the 1st Amendment. Honestly, if you are going to a store to buy groceries, you should not be focused on what other people think of you. The only logical thing to focus on would be your grocery list. As far as I am concerned I don't give a crap if someone has an issue with me carrying a gun.Then they expect me tonot have an issue with the fact that they weigh 300 pounds and are taking up space in the isle. So if someone wants to dish it out, I'll see if they can take it. Otherwise, I am going about my business not trying to impress anyone or scare anyone but just running an errand and expecting other people to do the same and mind their own freaking business. If that is a problem, that is their issue and if they make it my issue then I will make extra sure that it is indeed now their problem. I don't have a problem telling people off regardless of whether or not I'm carrying. I'm sick of this political correct BS where freedom-loving Americans have to coddle to these bleeding heart whimps and we're supposed to be afraid to say anything that is clearly the truth.

Manka Cat

imported post

protector84 wrote:
It seems like people are obsessed with how one should appear while carrying. I can understand looking decent whether or not you are carrying simply to exhibit good culture. However, taking it to the level of growing facial hair to look older so that people won't think you are suspicious while carrying is ridiculous. Just as one should support the 2nd Amendment, it is also important to support the 1st Amendment. Honestly, if you are going to a store to buy groceries, you should not be focused on what other people think of you. The only logical thing to focus on would be your grocery list. As far as I am concerned I don't give a crap if someone has an issue with me carrying a gun. Then they expect me to not have an issue with the fact that they weigh 300 pounds and are taking up space in the isle. So if someone wants to dish it out, I'll see if they can take it. Otherwise, I am going about my business not trying to impress anyone or scare anyone but just running an errand and expecting other people to do the same and mind their own freaking business. If that is a problem, that is their issue and if they make it my issue then I will make extra sure that it is indeed now their problem. I don't have a problem telling people off regardless of whether or not I'm carrying. I'm sick of this political correct BS where freedom-loving Americans have to coddle to these bleeding heart whimps and we're supposed to be afraid to say anything that is clearly the truth.

You're right as far as we shouldn't be afraid of what people will think of us, we have a right protecting that too, etc. But as I have heard and quoted, "I carry for defense. I am OPEN carrying to exercise my right". I try to dress decent, (nothing I wouldn't already wear on a good day), as to be professional. If someone asks why I am carrying, (take my examples above), I want to be polite and informative, and not turn them off by attacking them. And I definitely don't want to look like a slob. If someone was walking around my with jeans falling down and a torn, stained T-shirt, unshaven, with untied shoes, (pick your own sloppy appearance), and is OCing, I'm going to be nervous that he's sloppy with his gun too. He's also going to be asked to leave before I am, because others will be nervous too. It may not be right, but use common sense. I wouldn't walk into an interview dressed like that, (or a CWP class either for that matter!), so why not take some pride in public? I am proud of my right, I am proud that I carry, and I want people to take me seriously, especially when I have a gun.

protector84

imported post

I did say that people should dress and act decently regardless of whether or not they are carrying simply to exhibit good culture. What I am referring to is taking appearance to the extremes such as growing a beard just so that you can look more normal (by looking older) while carrying. Even if my state did not require a permit to conceal a weapon, I would still mostly open carry because it is more convenient. It is not very easy for me to conceal guns because I don't want to wear oversized clothes and it is too easy for the gun to show through the shirt or wherever it is at. As far as I'm concerned if the public is so used to carrying a cell phone on their hips, I don't see what the big deal carrying a gun openly displayed is either. Unfortunately, I do run into idiots just like you do as well. Some can be educated, others cannot. I do find it amazing though some of the reactions and comments people have made. They think guns are the problem in society when in reality television is more likely the issue as they watch too much of it.

squarepeg

imported post

I am secretly trying to create an army of goatee wearers, so stop trying to tell guys not to grow facial hair. Those of us with goatees will rule the world:what:.

Really, the beard thing is mostly a joke I tell my buddies who are older than me when they get carded for beer and I don't.I agree that cloathing choices shouldn't matter. I won't wear a polo every time I want to carry, Tshirts are just fine

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hopefully slightly oversize jeans or cargo shorts, skater shoes and a band tshirt are considered good enough, because that's the best anyone's going to get out of me on most days.

Kivuli

imported post

Could be worse I guess. I typically wear clean black BDU pants with a short-sleeved button up shirt and a T-shirt beneath it. I haven't gotten any funny looks, though a cashier at Wally-world was unusually short-spoken with me.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I'm 66 now but used to get carded all the time and my 1st wife had to buy the beer once because I wasn't believed even with ID.

I was 17 and carrying a .45 as a Military Police/Guard in the Marines.

Actually, one could say I have been OCing for 49 years.....since 1959.:celebrate

"Ain't Gonna Quit Now!"

Aran

Banned
imported post

My daily wear is cargo shorts/pants (weather dependent, and the pockets are usually stuffed with things I'll need for the day) and either a T-shirt or occasionally a polo-type shirt if that happens to be what I grab. The shoes I'm currently wearing are completely worn out, the laces are frayed, and they're as comfortable as can be so they're not likely to get 'replaced' with another of my 6-7 pairs of shoes any time soon.

My hair changes colors at my whim, currently bright orange, I'm overweight, and a lot of the time I'm not big on smiling, but I'll always at least give you a nod if you smile at me. I'm also young, at 22.

I expect, but don't accept, that people will look down at me for at least one or two of the above things, but most of the time I'm treated like everyone else when I'm out and about - The most outspoken people about "YOU'RE RUINING OC FOR EVERYONE BASED ON HOW YOU LOOK!" are found on online forums. And always people who've never met me.

rmodel65

imported post

I dress the same way almost daily, kakhi pants or shorts normally. maybe black pants wither boots or tennis shoes, if my back is bothering me off brand crocs :p and a almost always a shirt with a collar and 3 buttons. rarely do i wear a t shirt and if i do its normally a biketoberfest T. At least i made it last year before my harley got totaled.
I do think how you dress influences people thought and perceptions about the person, but I personally will dress how I feel

Carry

imported post

Prophet wrote:
MustangDave wrote:

start smoking cigarrettes...everyone looks older and cooler when they smoke cigarettes...or at least thats what the movie waiting taught me.
NOT !!

SlacK

imported post

squarepeg wrote:
I am secretly trying to create an army of goatee wearers, so stop trying to tell guys not to grow facial hair. Those of us with goatees will rule the world:what:.

Really, the beard thing is mostly a joke I tell my buddies who are older than me when they get carded for beer and I don't.I agree that cloathing choices shouldn't matter. I won't wear a polo every time I want to carry, Tshirts are just fine
you've officially converted me to the goatee army.

HungSquirrel

imported post

I specifically wear a goatee so the sheeple don’t assume I′m a LEO, since I only OC in business casual clothing. Why such attire? Baby steps. I live in Alabama, where LEOs have no idea OC is legal, despite a pretty active letter-writing campaign to educate them. As I probe the waters, there′s no sense looking like a thug and getting the cops called. Also, I′m 25...the age at which the average Alabamian first starts respecting you as an adult.