Thread: Open carry of long arms

Post imported post

Does anyone know if it's legal to OC long guns, and if so, how?

Post imported post

I would like to know the answer to this also.

Post imported post

I would like to know the answer to this also.

I'm guessing that you'd be safe OCing a long gun in a case or scabbard, but OCing any other way would be asking for trouble.

Post imported post

I am not familiar with the code for your state....

I know that OCing a rifle is going to get you far greater attention than a pistol.

I would not recommend it unless you have a need to use a long gun for some specific reason. Otherwise handguns for personal protection are adequate.

Post imported post

Yes, open carry of long guns is legal in Arizona. When I was in college (years ago) I didn't have a car and I would frequently open carry my AK-47 slung over my shoulder while riding my mountain bike out to the range.I found out that I could fita 1,000 round case and spare mags neatly into my backpack along with some water bottles. (I know what you're thinking, why did I have an AK and no car? The answer is that I had my priorities straight and the gun came first.)

Sometimes I would stop at a store on the way back and get more water and I got strange looks from some of the other customers as I walked through the store with an AK slung over my shoulder; however,I didn't haveany problems andno one really seemed to care.I got my water and was on my way without incident.

Post imported post

sddutch wrote:
    Yes, open carry of long guns is legal in Arizona. When I was in college (years ago) I didn't have a car and I would frequently open carry my AK-47 slung over my shoulder while riding my mountain bike out to the range.I found out that I could fita 1,000 round case and spare mags neatly into my backpack along with some water bottles. (I know what you're thinking, why did I have an AK and no car? The answer is that I had my priorities straight and the gun came first.)

Sometimes I would stop at a store on the way back and get more water and I got strange looks from some of the other customers as I walked through the store with an AK slung over my shoulder; however,I didn't haveany problems andno one really seemed to care.I got my water and was on my way without incident.
    Don't you just love Arizona? :celebrate

Post imported post

Arizona has no gun laws as to how you can carry a long arm. Carry it anyway you want. Allot of times I have my AK47 in the seat next to me uncased and loaded. I've been pulled over but the AK ws never a big deal

Post imported post

When I was visiting my brother in Cottonwood, he bought a long arm and walked home with it slung over his shoulder

Arizona is awesome!

Post imported post

In the valley, I think you'd get the most funny looks, but the police still wouldn't give a rats ass.
    The most important lesson I have learned from my time in the freedom movement and further studying it is that trying to create an organization without preventing the issues caused by narcissistic sociopaths and democracy is a lot like heading to sea in a sieve. It'll never work.

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I wonder what would happen if I walked right down the main road cutting through the university with a shotgun? I'm sure the looks would be priceless because of this "guns in school" irrational fear people have. Since it is the street, it's legal, though.

Post imported post

protector84 wrote:
    I wonder what would happen if I walked right down the main road cutting through the university with a shotgun? I'm sure the looks would be priceless because of this "guns in school" irrational fear people have. Since it is the street, it's legal, though.

They couldn't do anything. But i'm sure you would see a good push in Arizona to tighten up on the gun laws. It wouldn't be a good move. I don't think it would make you to popular with the gun crowd in the State

Post imported post

lostone1413 wrote:
    protector84 wrote:

They couldn't do anything. But i'm sure you would see a good push in Arizona to tighten up on the gun laws. It wouldn't be a good move. I don't think it would make you to popular with the gun crowd in the State
    Not likely. Most "anti" laws never make it out of comittee. We 'zonies like our guns.

Post imported post

Dahwg wrote:
    lostone1413 wrote:
    protector84 wrote:

Not likely. Most "anti" laws never make it out of comittee. We 'zonies like our guns.
    Its that way now but all the nuts from Ca and out East or Illinois moving to AZ you can bet it won't stay that way. I see them everyday. Moving to Arizona and doing everything t hat can to make it like the State they left

Post imported post

They cannot even pass a law prohibiting open carry if they wanted to. It is in the Arizona State Constitution. Besides, there are lots of people out there who don't like guns and who don't own guns but who still believe in the right to keep and bear arms. This is not something I am worried about.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    I am not familiar with the code for your state....

I know that OCing a rifle is going to get you far greater attention than a pistol.

I would not recommend it unless you have a need to use a long gun for some specific reason. Otherwise handguns for personal protection are adequate.
    I have done it in more than one state. The feeling one has when exercising your right to open carry long guns is fantastic. Research your state laws (& local if applicable) before you OC a long gun. Keep it on your shoulder and you should have no worries.:celebrate

Funny how LEOs do not recommend you to exercise your rights.:shock:

"A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost" Isn't that the OCDO Motto?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

sddutch wrote:
    I know what you're thinking, why did I have an AK and no car? The answer is that I had my priorities straight and the gun came first.)
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    I have done it in more than one state. The feeling one has when exercising your right to open carry long guns is fantastic. Research your state laws (& local if applicable) before you OC a long gun. Keep it on your shoulder and you should have no worries.:celebrate

Funny how LEOs do not recommend you to exercise your rights.:shock:

"A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost" Isn't that the OCDO Motto?

I actually agree in general with LEO that it's unnecessary and pretty much useless.
    A long gun is combersome, and will convey the wrong message to a lot of people. I support the right to do it, and certainly don't object, but I really don't see the point of carrying a rifle or shotgun as a general SD piece. In addition to large size and ******* off yuppies who we are trying to win over (that applies a lot more in other states), overpenetration in an actual seld defense situation could be a very real problem.
    The most important lesson I have learned from my time in the freedom movement and further studying it is that trying to create an organization without preventing the issues caused by narcissistic sociopaths and democracy is a lot like heading to sea in a sieve. It'll never work.

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

You may carry a long gun on your person. By statute, it must be in a sheath or container made to carry the weapon, and must be 'wholly or partially visible'.

Depending on the area and LE, you can get away with slinging it on your back, but technically you are not in statute..you are trying to make case law.

Post imported post

Actually, there is no A.R.S. which says a long gun MUST be in a case or other carrying device. There is a statute where it exempts concealed carry of a long gun without a permit as long as the gun is in a carrying device and that particular device itself is visible. Read the law carefully. With or without a permit, I can carry a long gun openly right in my hand as long as the gun itself is not carried in a reckless, dangerous, or threatening manner. There is no statute saying that you cannot lawfully carry a gun without a carrying case openly. Just as an armed guard may carry a shotgun or rifle in his hands withthe barrel pointing up, there is no prohibition of this for civilians in the statutes either. There is a routine problem with gun owners and perhaps even LEOs misinterpreting a statute exempting certain types of concealed carry to mean that open carry is required in this manner. It is not so. Besides, there are certain situations where you may have to temporarily carry a gun openly and not in a case. An example is when you are checking your weapon. You will have to pull your weapon out of its holster, unload it, and then hand it to the operator. As long as you do so safely, you are legal.

Post imported post

Many years ago... before I moved here permanently... I called AZ State Police 'n inquired as to 'what was legal to carry' now. (This was before the internet was invented... or it it's present form at least.) Ennyhoo... the guy (Laffing) said I could carry a bazooka down the street openly... 'long as I didn't point it at anybody... I knew then this is where I belonged!

Post imported post

Sounds like a winner to me.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.