• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tukwila Mall

Crackajack

imported post

http://q13.trb.com/news/kcpq-031208-southcentershoot,0,1591345.story

Article said:
Shooting in Parking Lot at Southcenter Mall
March 13, 2008, 1:52 AM PDT

One person has been shot in a parking lot at Southcenter Mall in Tukwila.

Police say a fight broke out between two groups of young men about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. They say several shots were fired and one person was hit.

The victim was shot on an outdoor walkway on the north side of the mall and was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. He is said to have non-lifethreatening injuries.

Police say the men they believe are the shooters went inside the mall, but police were able to catch them and no more shots were fired. They now have four people in custody, including two men they believe to be the shooters. Officers also recovered two guns.

The SWAT team kept customers inside the mall for hours, checking them before they were allowed to leave. They wanted to make sure they talked to any witnesses and found any evidence left behind by the suspects when they ran in the mall.

Tukwila police say they don't know what started the argument. They are still looking for witnesses who may have left before police arrived. If you have any information please call Tukwila Police.

Apparently the mall has said there will be no increase in security measures. I say don't worry, I'll bring my own. ;)

just_a_car

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Crackajack wrote:
The SWAT team kept customers inside the mall for hours, checking them before they were allowed to leave.
F***ing nazis. I hate the Tukwila PD.
I agree it does seem kind of heavy-handed, especially since we're talking about a non-homicide case.

BUT

We're always talking about putting the crack down on criminals who use guns instead of cracking down on guns. To do that effectively, they'll need every piece of evidence they can get to prosecute the hell out of these jackasses. And, to do that effectively takes time. Unfortunately, there's the possibility that someone caught a glance of one of the shooters doing something like tossing some garbage into the garbage can and thought nothing of it, until Officer "O'mally" showed him a picture and the mall patron says "Oh yeah, he tossed something there in that garbage." Then they end up finding a pistol that matches ballistics to shots fired at the scene and there's another nail in that criminal's coffin, so to speak.

Remember, we're talking the media who like to sensationalize here. It could have been 2 hours while an understaffed police force did as quick a job as humanly possible interviewing hundreds (perhaps over a thousand) mall-goers to get them on their way.

Trust me, A, I remember how they treated you and I don't fault you for jumpin' on 'em, but I'm personally reserving judgement on them until I have more facts (which I doubt I'll get from media sources).

expvideo

imported post

Now we're going to get a bunch of mall employees with the give-me-some-attention "emotional trauma" calling the cops every time they see a gun. They'll even put it in their witness statement "I was at Southcenter when there was a shooting... it changed my life". Bunch of f***ing pu**ies. One of those people that suffered the emotional "trauma" of being at the tacoma mall when there was a shooting called the cops on me at southcenter for OCing, and started the whole problem. Jesus Christ, people! you heard a damn gunshot or two, and now you're emotionally crippled?!

Rant over.

DrewGunner

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Now we're going to get a bunch of mall employees with the give-me-some-attention "emotional trauma" calling the cops every time they see a gun. They'll even put it in their witness statement "I was at Southcenter when there was a shooting... it changed my life". Bunch of f***ing pu**ies. One of those people that suffered the emotional "trauma" of being at the tacoma mall when there was a shooting called the cops on me at southcenter for OCing, and started the whole problem. Jesus Christ, people! you heard a damn gunshot or two, and now you're emotionally crippled?!

Rant over.
Maybe we should do lunch at the food court?

joshmmm

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
expvideo wrote:

Rant over.
Joking, right?

just_a_car

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
expvideo wrote:

Rant over.
Joking, right?
I hope so... that's just irresponsible and damn insensitive. As much as I hate the whole "everyone's feelings" crap, when you're dealing with a fresh shooting, showing up with guns is not going to help our cause in the least.

I think our lunches are more geared towards showing authorities such as local PD's and security guards that we won't be intimidated or harassed into CC'ing or giving up our rights. That's why we try to coordinate locations for our lunches with recent "encounters" locations such as Tacoma, Olympia and Tukwila.

I admit, one of our other objectives is to demonstrate to the populace at large that "normal", responsible, law-abiding citizens not only own, but carry guns. We are able to do this through OC just by going about our daily lives and being ourselves. Unfortunately, people will only use logic and put it together that "normal" people carry guns when they're receptive to the idea... soon after a shooting is not one of those times.

joshmmm

imported post

Furthermore,

The idea of an OC gather in a mall that forbids weapons (as is its right) is foolish, to say the least... not to mention the trouble that has been had there before!

thewise1

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
Furthermore,

The idea of an OC gather in a mall that forbids weapons (as is its right) is foolish, to say the least... not to mention the trouble that has been had there before!
Agreed. However, it might be a good time to point out how little good a no guns policy does to the mall's management :)

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I'm going to have to agree everything that J-A-C has stated. When you're trying to make a POSITIVE impact on the generalpublic's views, I'll submit that TIMING IS EVERYTHING. People have a right to protest (w/in reasonable limits), whatever they like, or dislike,in this country. One can protest abortion, the war in Iraq,or even the fact Walmart sells white socks. Open carrying is, in one form or another, a protest against people's misconstrued mindsets that a gun=criminal. But there is a time and place for everything. Example: Protesting the war in Iraq at the cemetary gates where a fallen soldier is being laid to rest. NOT the correct timing. Even other "anti-war" people would agree that it does NOT help the "cause," just shows that those particular protesters have no sense of tact. Showing up w/guns (legal as it may be) just after a shooting, is NOT the correct timing.

As has also been mentioned, the owner's property rights on their PRIVATE PROPERTY, exceeds your 2nd Amendment rights on their property. We may not like that, but how can we reasonably expect people to respect the rights we choose to promote, when we totally and completely ignore the rights that they choose to exersize, and rules that they choose to set??? We can't. If we want to try and change policy of a private company, on their private property, we can't expect to get very far by trampling their right to set the rules on that property while we try to "teach" them something. It's not as eloquent as I'd like, but you get my point?

Dave Workman

imported post

thewise1 wrote:
joshmmm wrote:
Furthermore,

Agreed. However, it might be a good time to point out how little good a no guns policy does to the mall's management :)

Lemme take care of that.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

thewise1 wrote:
joshmmm wrote:
Furthermore,

Exactly, 10 politely armed men says a few things...

The first thing it says is 'you can't stop people from carrying guns', it also says 'would you rather have ONLY bad guys carrying guns, or ONE bad guy and TEN good guys carrying?'

But alas, I agree, silly pansies...

DrewGunner

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
expvideo wrote:

Rant over.
Joking, right?
No, not really.

DrewGunner

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
joshmmm wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
expvideo wrote:

Rant over.
Joking, right?
I hope so... that's just irresponsible and damn insensitive. As much as I hate the whole "everyone's feelings" crap, when you're dealing with a fresh shooting, showing up with guns is not going to help our cause in the least.

Maybe 'showing up with guns'(and not shooting, unless we have to) wouldshow them thatnormal people carry guns and that they arent bad... First thing they tell you to do after a major car accident is get back in the car and drive. Cops go to the range after a shooting.

DrewGunner

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
Furthermore,

I've OC'd there before and have never seen a no gun sign, guess i got lucky..

Dave Workman wrote:
Lemme take care of that.
Do your dirty work Mr. Dave.

DrewGunner

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I'm going to have to agree everything that J-A-C has stated. When you're trying to make a POSITIVE impact on the generalpublic's views, I'll submit that TIMING IS EVERYTHING. People have a right to protest (w/in reasonable limits), whatever they like, or dislike,in this country. One can protest abortion, the war in Iraq,or even the fact Walmart sells white socks. Open carrying is, in one form or another, a protest against people's misconstrued mindsets that a gun=criminal. But there is a time and place for everything. Example: Protesting the war in Iraq at the cemetary gates where a fallen soldier is being laid to rest. NOT the correct timing. Even other "anti-war" people would agree that it does NOT help the "cause," just shows that those particular protesters have no sense of tact. Showing up w/guns (legal as it may be) just after a shooting, is NOT the correct timing.

As has also been mentioned, the owner's property rights on their PRIVATE PROPERTY, exceeds your 2nd Amendment rights on their property. We may not like that, but how can we reasonably expect people to respect the rights we choose to promote, when we totally and completely ignore the rights that they choose to exersize, and rules that they choose to set??? We can't. If we want to try and change policy of a private company, on their private property, we can't expect to get very far by trampling their right to set the rules on that property while we try to "teach" them something. It's not as eloquent as I'd like, but you get my point?

So by open carrying I'm protesting?

Yea, I get your point.