• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in inclement weather

YG

imported post

wat about momentairly covering ur weapon from exposure to rain if u are OCing

imperialism2024

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

It would depend on the state regarding how much you can cover while it still remains "open", but I'd say generally no.

But to paraphrase a post from another thread... "If simple rain affects the function of your gun at all, it's time to get a different gun!"

denwego

imported post

It's an interesting question here in Colorado. Within the law itself, there's no exception for something like that, unless you'd otherwise be covered under a defense (e.g., you're OCing while you're hunting, it starts to rain, and you can conceal your gun because you're actively engaged in hunting). Just out and about town, you run into some serious criminal trouble without a CHP.

However, the origin of the unrestricted concealed carry while "traveling" comes from a court precedent dealing with a now defunct Denver law from the turn of the 19th century: they banned carrying concealed weapons, requiring people coming into the city on horseback to openly carry their guns no matter what the conditions were. As you might know, wearing a gun on a dry, dusty day or on a wet, muddy day while you're riding a horse can destroy a gun's finish (or even it's action/springs) in very short order... as such, the court ruled that while Denver had an interest in preventing crime by regulating the use of weapons, a person's right to private property overruled that, so a person riding their horse into the city from the countryside "while traveling" had a greater right to conceal their weapons until they stopped traveling and dismounted in town.

As such, there is a small precedent for taking necessary actions to prevent the destruction of your property under the choice-of-necessary-evils defense. BUT... that is a very tenuous and last-resort sort of thing, since Colorado is a shall-issue state, and it behooves you much more to get your CHP and be able to conceal without having to go before a judge and prove that your gun was going to be destroyed by the weather. It's still interesting, though.

hirundo82

imported post

Well, since I live in Texas I only get to OC when out of state. When I do OC, it is a Glock 17, so I don't worry about the weather.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Don't worry its more than likely youve reached ambient temperature if that happens.

OmSigDAVID

imported post

So thay bury u in a state of felony . . . .

Imagine the shame, at the funeral !

Loneviking

imported post

OmSigDAVID wrote:
What if your gun gets covered by snow ?
That's what I love about my Peacekeeper. It has a thick, matte black finish that was never polished down. Mud, snow, dust, gunpowder, road crime with salt---as long as you wipe it off within a few hours, thegun isn't harmed as there IS no finish too harm. Internals? It's a wheel gun, not much internals too worry about....