• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Post - Packing Heat in Loudoun

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

http://loudounextra.washingtonpost.com/blogs/living-loco/2008/mar/13/packing-heat-loudoun/

Packing Heat in Loudoun
By Erica Garman at 10:52 a.m., March 13, 2008

On March 4, Gov. Tim Kaine vetoed a bill that would have given more leeway to Virginians who have concealed handgun permits -- which appears to be a rising segment of our Loudoun population.

From circuit court records I obtained yesterday, 765 Loudoun residents were issued concealed handgun permits in 2007. That’s a 27 percent increase from 2006 (602 permits). Since January this year, 220 permits have been granted -- indicating that there will be a significant increase of citizens "packing heat" in 2008 as well.

Virginia Senate Bill 476 would have allowed permit holders to bring concealed handguns into bars and restaurants. Patrons would have to notify their server of the weapon and they would not be allowed to consume alcohol on the premises.

The law currently states that concealed weapons are not allowed in establishments that serve alcohol.

I spoke with state senators Jill Holtzman Vogel (R) and Mark Herring (D), whose districts include Loudoun, and asked them about their votes on SB 476.

Vogel fully supported the legislation. “The majority of concealed weapon permit holders carry a gun as part of their job -- they are business owners, security workers, retired law enforcement or military officials -- and they don’t want to leave their weapon in the car where it could be stolen or used against them.”

Herring did not support the bill. “Drinking alcohol and carrying firearms is not a good mix. It’s a public safety issue. There was no compelling case for loosening the restriction on carrying a concealed weapon into bars.”

This bill aside, what are your thoughts on concealed handgun permits? Do you have one or are you planning on obtaining one?

Why do you think applications for concealed handgun permits are growing in Loudoun?

Moderator edit: [Article addedand moved to news forum]

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

This has just never been a problem in Utah. We allow legal carry into establishments selling alcohol and even allow a permit holder to imbibe while carrying if he chooses. He may not be legally intoxicated. But if he wants a glass of wine with dinner, or a beer while watching a game, no biggie. I don't think we've ever had a permit holder get into problems with this.

And of course, the article failed to mention that OPEN CARRY of guns into alcohol serving restaurants in Virginia is perfectly legal and not uncommon from my personal experience.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
http://loudounextra.washingtonpost.com/blogs/living-loco/2008/mar/13/packing-heat-loudoun/

Virginia Senate Bill 476 would have allowed permit holders to bring concealed handguns into bars and restaurants. Patrons would have to notify their server of the weapon and they would not be allowed to consume alcohol on the premises.

Herring did not support the bill. “Drinking alcohol and carrying firearms is not a good mix. It’s a public safety issue. There was no compelling case for loosening the restriction on carrying a concealed weapon into bars.”
I guess clear thinking isn't required of anti-gun legislators. The new law would have forbidden drinking for carriers, but Herring still objected that "guns and alcohol don't mix" (the tired old liberal catch-phrase). No need to think when one can quote liberal scripture.

I'd say that "antigunners and logic don't mix".

Erus

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
This has just never been a problem in Utah. We allow legal carry into establishments selling alcohol and even allow a permit holder to imbibe while carrying if he chooses. He may not be legally intoxicated. But if he wants a glass of wine with dinner, or a beer while watching a game, no biggie. I don't think we've ever had a permit holder get into problems with this.

And of course, the article failed to mention that OPEN CARRY of guns into alcohol serving restaurants in Virginia is perfectly legal and not uncommon from my personal experience.
Same thing here in Nevada. (though you do not have to be a "permit holder" to imbibe... or did I read that wrong, utbagpiper.. can you OC and imbibe in Utah as well?.. might just have been in the wording..)

Forty-five

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
ed wrote:

I guess clear thinking isn't required of anti-gun legislators. The new law would have forbidden drinking for carriers, but Herring still objected that "guns and alcohol don't mix" (the tired old liberal catch-phrase). No need to think when one can quote liberal scripture.

I'd say that "antigunners and logic don't mix".
It gets worse. Herring voted for SB 776 (recently signed by Kaine), a bill that permits Commonwealth Attorneys and their deputies, with NO requirement for any firearms
training, to carry a concealed handgun into a restaurant that serves
alcohol AND DRINK while they're at it. Herring apparently believes the lives of public officials are more valuable than ordinary persons. Herrring also apparently believes that public officials are more trustworthy than ordinary citizens. Herring needs to hear from people. Herring is apparently ok with public officials drinking and carrying firearms.

http://sov.state.va.us/SenatorDB.nsf/ddd222d4e7192a8685256fc7004febb1/b98786b1b9ef48e0852571090052acd3?OpenDocument

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Erus wrote:
Same thing here in Nevada. (though you do not have to be a "permit holder" to imbibe... or did I read that wrong, utbagpiper.. can you OC and imbibe in Utah as well?.. might just have been in the wording..)
Utah is true open carry only by permit. Open carry without a permit requires that the firearm not have a round in firing position (or be able to fire a round with the actuation of a single mechanism once). Unless you OC a revolver, keeping one out of the chamber is legal. With a revolver, a little more involved.

In any event, so long as you are legal to have your gun (lots of school zones in Utah what with our large families and sadly we do include colleges in the definition of schools, one of our rare black marks), you are legal to imbibe so long as you are not intoxicated.

Erus

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
Erus wrote:
Utah is true open carry only by permit. Open carry without a permit requires that the firearm not have a round in firing position (or be able to fire a round with the actuation of a single mechanism once). Unless you OC a revolver, keeping one out of the chamber is legal. With a revolver, a little more involved.

In any event, so long as you are legal to have your gun (lots of school zones in Utah what with our large families and sadly we do include colleges in the definition of schools, one of our rare black marks), you are legal to imbibe so long as you are not intoxicated.
Yes that's right the "Two actions" thing, thanks utbagpiper for clearing it up.

I lived in Murray for a short time but I was only 19, sofirearms lawswere kinda moot. Do you still have to bring your own liquor into adining establishmentif you want a drink? I remember restaurants only serving set-ups unless it was a "private club".

I liked Utah a lot.. but it had/has some odd laws.