• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio CCW Question

Sword

imported post

For anyone who has recently gone through the course and passed. What was the certificate or paperwork you recieved and gave to the sheriffs office with your CCW application. Meaning was it CCW specific or just a basic pistol course completion?

Thanks

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Sword wrote:
For anyone who has recently gone through the course and passed. What was the certificate or paperwork you recieved and gave to the sheriffs office with your CCW application. Meaning was it CCW specific or just a basic pistol course completion?
What is the offical name of Ohio's carry permit? I think the term "CCW" needs to be rubbed out of existence.

SWhetsel

imported post

I don't know for sure, but as far as I know it is just a basic pistol course. I did not have to take ANY class because my training in the military was enough. So based off that I dont think it's "CCW Specific".

Also, the Ohio permit is a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) yet, every dang sign at the summit county sherriff office says CCW even their website has a "CCW renewal" link. Take your pick I guess...

Brian D.

imported post

Mike wrote:

What is the offical name of Ohio's carry permit? I think the term "CCW" needs to be rubbed out of existence.

"Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun", or OLTCACC for short. Really rolls off the tongue and keyboard, doesn't it? :D

PKtheRipper

imported post

What kind of military training excludes someone from the CCW course? Does Army Infantry School count?

reefteach

imported post

PKtheRipper wrote:
What kind of military training excludes someone from the CCW course? Does Army Infantry School count?
DD214 with separation date of less than 5 years from application. If the separation date is too long ago, then mail your stuff to FL and carry on a FL permit as an OH resident.

PKtheRipper

imported post

Thanks,I just read on the Summit County Sheriffs site that if you're currently in the Army Reserve that you don't have to take the certicication Course,do you know anything about that? Also do you know how I would get the safety pamphlet produced by the Ohio Peace Officers Training Commission? Thanks

reefteach

imported post

2923.125:

(3) One or more of the following competency certifications, each of which shall reflect that, regarding a certification described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), (e), or (f) of this section, within the three years immediately preceding the application the applicant has performed that to which the competency certification relates and that, regarding a certification described in division (B)(3)(d) of this section, the applicant currently is an active or reserve member of the armed forces of the United States or within the six years immediately preceding the application the honorable discharge or retirement to which the competency certification relates occurred:
Looks like it is 6 years separation, not 5. But since you are active, you probably show your ID.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The course requirements for the Ohio Concealed Handgun License are essentially a longer version of the contentof the NRA's Basic Pistol course, which is NOT CCW specific.

Whereas the NRA course is designed to be taught in 10 hours (8 classroom, 2 range), Ohio's law specifies a minimum of 10 hours classroom and 2 hours range (live fire).

To be clear, Ohio DOES NOT require one to take the NRA course, rather it requires one to take a course which includes such things as handgun and ammunition safety, general knowledge, and demonstrated shooting and safety skills. The law also requires a test on the class content.

Here is a link to the content of the NRA's Basic courses:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/basictraining.asp

For the purposes of applying for the Ohio CHL, the certificate given to you must state that the course content complied with the ORC section describing the required content.