• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

As somone from out of state what letters/statues should i carry on my person to help me out ?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There is a printable folder about Virginia gun rights on the site. Go to the discussion forum's main page, look for "Rules of Engagement" at the top, go down to "Law Library" and find "Your Virginia Gun Rights". It has about all the info you'd need. I've carried the letters from the VCDL site for about 3 years, and have yet to need to show them to anyone. Most folks by now just seem to know its legal.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I used to carry the restaurant letters, never needed to show it to anybody. Except for when we tried to give a copy to the cops at Tonys, but they wouldn't have any of it. So I don't bother anymore.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

minus wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has a letter from vasp that says oc is legal under all circumstances in the commonwealth?

There is nothing that says OC is legal. Virginia law is based on listing the things you cannot do, If there is not a law against it, you can do it.

Virginia has a very short list of places where you cannot carry at all. Most of the restrictions are from the Feds, like National Park lands. Because so much of the state has historical significance from the Revolutionary War and the Civil War of Northern Agression to Eliminate Slavery Against Southern Secession there are National Parks and National Historical Sitesjust about everywhere. Unfortunately the public roads that cut through are (technically) covered by the NPS prohibitions. I have never had any problems as long as I stayed in my car to read the info on the side of the road, and have not heard of anybody else getting busted for carrying while "car touring" along the Civil War Trail (for example) but that is not to say NPS police could not arrest you if they found out you were carrying.

stay safe (and enjoy your visit. Keep Virginia green - bring money.)

skidmark

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
minus wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has a letter from vasp that says oc is legal under all circumstances in the commonwealth?

There is nothing that says OC is legal. Virginia law is based on listing the things you cannot do, If there is not a law against it, you can do it.

Virginia has a very short list of places where you cannot carry at all. Most of the restrictions are from the Feds, like National Park lands. Because so much of the state has historical significance from the Revolutionary War and the Civil War of Northern Agression to Eliminate Slavery Against Southern Secession there are National Parks and National Historical Sitesjust about everywhere. Unfortunately the public roads that cut through are (technically) covered by the NPS prohibitions. I have never had any problems as long as I stayed in my car to read the info on the side of the road, and have not heard of anybody else getting busted for carrying while "car touring" along the Civil War Trail (for example) but that is not to say NPS police could not arrest you if they found out you were carrying.

stay safe (and enjoy your visit. Keep Virginia green - bring money.)

skidmark
More than 140 years later and the federal government is still subjecting VA to reconstructionist like restrictions on armed travel, by proxy to the parks dept, through the very areas that serve as a reminder of the violent excesses of the federal government and the extremes it will go to in retaining power. :X