Thread: UL-Monroe: man arrested for NOT carrying a firearm

Post imported post

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Man-arreste...with-gun-9674/

Man arrested at ULM after entering library with gun

Created: March 12, 2008 01:30 PM
    Modified: March 12, 2008 01:30 PM

A 21-year-old man dressed in black entered the University of Louisiana at Monroe library's computer lab wearing a gun on his hip. He was taken into custody within minutes.

It happened Tuesday. Laura Harris, ULM media relation's director, said university police arrived within a few minutes and the man was quickly removed. University officials said the gun was through to be a semiautomatic pistol but it turned out to be a BB gun.

Jonathan L. Pope of Holly Ridge was booked on a charge of carrying a firearm on school property.

Post imported post

I was just reading RS 14:95 (thanks to Mark for pointing me to it.).
    It seems to say that "School" does not include a college or university:

"School" means any elementary, secondary, high school, or vo-tech school in this state and "campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the school property.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78739

Or am I misreading that?

gridboy

Post imported post

Case law makes it out to be a jury question.

Post imported post

14:95.2 does specify college campuses as being illegal for carrying a firearm.

Was he in violation of the law, mmmmmm. Even though it was 'just a BB gun'

He did deserve ot be arrested. If I walked onto campus with an airsoft pistol, I would expect obe arrested for vioaltion of 14.95.2, even though in the end it turns out I was not carrying a firearm, it would be a justifiable arrest, and I could possibly recieve persecution under the law for disturbing the peace, since I was enteringa firearm free zone with oemthing that is amazingly simliar to a real gun.

I have no sympathy for the man. I am fighting the battle to be allowed to carry on campus, but until it is changed, I do not condone blatent disrespect of the law in this manner.

Post imported post

disturbing the peace is not valid if you are OCing somewhere that it is LEGAL. Since a school zone is a gun free zone, and you are intentionally OCing something that looks similiar to a real firearm enough to be mistaken for one, that would qualify.

Post imported post

Only one quarter of it pertains to funerals.

None of it pertains to the holstered display of firearms, real or otherwise.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78253

Post imported post

How about "inciting a riot"? I've had many a gunstore owner tell me that one and I just brush it off.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote: So i would assume then, that if one were to carry all these documents on their person, and show them to the detaining officer, there should be no reason for the LEO to hold you any longer. This is very interesting.

They would still try to get you for carrying a concealed weapon (if you don't have a permit.)