• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who's Afraid of "Rate My Cop"? ProLibertate from blogspot.com

swillden

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
I was there this AM before I posted my up-date. Ahhh, let me see my history file...yep, ratemycop.com worked just a couple of hours ago.
Ditto It's working just fine for me...

http://ratemycop.com/
It appears to be web server virtual hosting misconfiguration. I can get to the site fine if I use Internet Explorer, but it doesn't work with Firefox (Windows, Linux or OS X), Konqueror (Linux), Mozilla (Linux) or Safari (OS X). Retrieving http://ratemycop.com with wget grabs the doll home page, too. I have no idea how this can possibly work with IE, but it does.

So, my suspicion is that it's relying on some bug or other non-conformity of Internet Explorer to handle the virtual host selection. That's beyond idiotic.

Both lovingfamilydollhouses.com and ratemycop.com resolved to the same IP address (72.167.159.53) and the dollhouse site appears to be the default (i.e. if you use the IP address as the URL, that's what you get).

Edited to add results of wget test.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

swillden wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
I was there this AM before I posted my up-date. Ahhh, let me see my history file...yep, ratemycop.com worked just a couple of hours ago.
Ditto It's working just fine for me...

http://ratemycop.com/
It appears to be web server virtual hosting misconfiguration. I can get to the site fine if I use Internet Explorer, but it doesn't work with Firefox (Windows, Linux or OS X), Konqueror (Linux), Mozilla (Linux) or Safari (OS X). Retrieving http://ratemycop.com with wget grabs the doll home page, too. I have no idea how this can possibly work with IE, but it does.

So, my suspicion is that it's relying on some bug or other non-conformity of Internet Explorer to handle the virtual host selection. That's beyond idiotic.

Both lovingfamilydollhouses.com and ratemycop.com resolved to the same IP address (72.167.159.53) and the dollhouse site appears to be the default (i.e. if you use the IP address as the URL, that's what you get).

Edited to add results of wget test.
I shut down my router & cable modem for about 20 minutes while I ran CleanUp!, Spybot and adaware scans and cleanups. Even in IE (I usually use firefox) I still cannot get the ratemycop page, just that stupid lovingfamilydollhouses. But then Charter is bad about clearing out their DNS servers and I had to use a friend's DNS server for about 2 months one time because of a bad address in Charter's cache for a forum I admin'd. Starting to tick me off :X I have yet to reach the page since I heard about it last week.

swillden

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I shut down my router & cable modem for about 20 minutes while I ran CleanUp!, Spybot and adaware scans and cleanups. Even in IE (I usually use firefox) I still cannot get the ratemycop page, just that stupid lovingfamilydollhouses. But then Charter is bad about clearing out their DNS servers and I had to use a friend's DNS server for about 2 months one time because of a bad address in Charter's cache for a forum I admin'd. Starting to tick me off :X I have yet to reach the page since I heard about it last week.
It's not a DNS issue. Both the doll site and ratemycop resolve to the same IP address.

What version of IE are you using? It's possible that whatever hack they're using for virtual host selection only works in some versions of IE.

UPDATE1: Yep, that's it. I just updated my IE version from 5 to 6 (this was on a fresh copy of XP) and now it doesn't work for me any more either. I'll try updating to 7 and see what happens.

UPDATE2: IE7 doesn't work. Trying IE8, just for giggles.

UPDATE3: Okay, this is very weird. It turns out that the breakage when upgrading from IE5 to IE6 had nothing to do with the browser. The difference was that I turned off use of my proxy server (because the upgrade process had trouble working through the proxy).

So what I see now is that all browsers work, but only if they're proxied through my squid proxy server first. Unproxied, all browsers take me to the doll site.

For others who can use the site, can you describe your configuration?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

swillden wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
It's not a DNS issue. Both the doll site and ratemycop resolve to the same IP address.

What version of IE are you using? It's possible that whatever hack they're using for virtual host selection only works in some versions of IE.

UPDATE1: Yep, that's it. I just updated my IE version from 5 to 6 (this was on a fresh copy of XP) and now it doesn't work for me any more either. I'll try updating to 7 and see what happens.

UPDATE2: IE7 doesn't work. Trying IE8, just for giggles.

UPDATE3: Okay, this is very weird. It turns out that the breakage when upgrading from IE5 to IE6 had nothing to do with the browser. The difference was that I turned off use of my proxy server (because the upgrade process had trouble working through the proxy).

So what I see now is that all browsers work, but only if they're proxied through my squid proxy server first. Unproxied, all browsers take me to the doll site.

For others who can use the site, can you describe your configuration?
I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.12 on XP Pro with no proxy (direct connect to the internet.) Anything else you need, you'll have to walk me through getting, since I'm no IT expert...

I just pinged both ratemycop, and lovingfamilydollhouses and they returned different IP addresses? ratemycop was 205.234.222.18, and lovingfamilydollhouses was 77.167.159.53. Both successfully pinged and I can still access both separately. (I have no idea if this is relevant info)

swillden

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
I just pinged both ratemycop, and lovingfamilydollhouses and they returned different IP addresses? ratemycop was 205.234.222.18, and lovingfamilydollhouses was 77.167.159.53. Both successfully pinged and I can still access both separately. (I have no idea if this is relevant info)
Very relevant. In fact, it explains everything.

It IS a DNS issue. My proxy server is using different DNS servers than my other machines, and when it does the resolution it comes up with correct IP addresses for the two domains. My other machines use a different set of servers that return the doll IP for ratemycop.com.

The authoritative DNS servers for ratemycop.com (ns1.mycpanelhost.info and ns2.mycpanelhost.info) return the 205.234.222.18 address, so eventually all caching DNS servers should expire their entry and get the right value. The time-to-live on the cached (incorrect) value is about 27 hours. I don't know when the change to the current, correct value was made, but all caches should expire 27 hours from that time.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Swillden, thanks for tracking down the issue! I actually found a few webpages where people discussed having discovered what you have (it just took them longer ) :p

Unfortunately, I'm betting that I'm going to have a problem for longer than 27 hours. Charter is known to not clear their cache for longer periods. Meh, OpenDNS for a few days if I decide I want to see the site that badly.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/

Each week, if not every day, brings in its train another illustration of the fact that those who scrutinize us cannot abide reciprocal scrutiny. Witness the apparent demise of the "Rate My Cop" website.

Carly Kullman, a one-time police cadet

Not surprising, another wannabe cop who couldn't make it through the academy who had to turn their anger towardsthe police instead of looking at themselves. Shocker. Hmmm, I've seen this type of behavior before......:lol:
I've read this type of post before.

Attachments

• broken_record.jpg
    broken_record.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 127