• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Searching private homes for guns proposed in DC

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=58825

Searching private homes for guns proposed in DC
'Amnesty' offered for illegal weapons, unless investigators link them to crime

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: March 13, 2008
10:22 pm Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily

The District of Columbia police department is preparing to launch a massive new home-by-home search program to confiscate and destroy handguns, despite arguments pending before the U.S. Supreme Court that challenges the constitutionality of its ban on residents having such weapons.

"Right now we're working under the laws that we have, and we'll continue working under the laws that we have," Police Chief Cathy Lanier said in announcing the program that targets all handguns in the district.

The voluntary program would work like this, according to Traci Hughes, an official with the Metropolitan Police Department: Residents of homes or apartments would contact police and ask them to come and search for such weaponry, they would sign a release, and officers would conduct the search.

She said those who voluntarily contact police would be granted amnesty for any illegal weapons uncovered during the search, although they would not be granted amnesty if those weapons would be traced to any previous crime.

Lanier announced the program, calling it a new anti-violence campaign, during a visit to the DC's 7th District Police headquarters.

Officials estimate authorities already are confiscating and destroying 2,000 handguns annually, but that's not enough

"For those people who have handguns in their home that become stolen or get out in the street in some other way, a child carries it out and puts it in his backpack and takes it to school, or whatever, worries me," Lanier said in a video posted on WUSA-Television.

The announcement comes just days before the U.S. Supreme Court is to hear arguments that challenge the district's handgun ban as a violation of the Second Amendment.

Lawyers for Dick Anthony Heller, a security guard, sued to overturn Washington's law that prohibits citizens from owning or having handguns. It also imposes severe restrictions on other firearms such as shotguns.

Several other city residents joined in the action, claiming the Second Amendment's individual right to own a gun. A district court judge rejected their claims, but in 2007 a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled the amendment also protects the right of individuals to privately own guns.

The U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments March 18 in the dispute, in which dozens of outside groups have filed arguments in support of the appellate decision.

The district's perspective is that the Second Amendment only allows people to have guns in connection with service in a militia – not to own guns as an individual. That is the perspective under which Lanier, a graduate in management from Johns Hopkins University, is operating.

Hughes told WND the program is scheduled to launch on March 24, during spring break for District of Columbia public school students, and the goal is to get "more weapons off the streets" by taking them out of closets and off shelves in residents' homes.

"We're hoping that if the custodian of the premises voluntarily allows the police department to search for weapons, we can immediately remove those weapons. We hope it would prevent [it] from being used in other crimes or against other members of the household," she said.

She said attorneys have developed a release form that grants permission for the officers to search, confiscate and destroy weapons and for the resident to be given amnesty for violating the ban on handgun possession.

However, "if it's tied to a crime, then we do have to investigate," she said.

She said there aren't specific plans if the law is overturned. "We've not crossed that bridge," she said.

"I cannot think of a more inappropriate thing to do," Larry Pratt, chief of Gun Owners of America, told WND. "It may very soon be legal [to own handguns in DC]."

"And do they really think that criminals will be inviting them in?" he asked.

In a commentary on WND, Sandy Froman, the immediate past president of the National Rifle Association of American, and Kenneth Blackwell, the former mayor of Cincinnati and a visiting fellow at the American Civil Rights Union, discussed the issue.

From Froman's perspective came this comment: "My political awakening came in the form of terror when a thug tried to break into my house in the middle of the night. Unable to defend myself, it suddenly became very clear that the person responsible for protecting my life and safety was I. I refused to be a helpless victim. It was time to buy a gun and learn how to use it. Later when I joined the NRA and began receiving their flagship publication, The American Rifleman, I knew that Chuck Connors was right. Guns in the hands of good people save lives."

And from Blackwell: "Things were tougher in the South where the Deacons of Defense, most of whom were veterans like my father, chased away KKK riders and thugs. These groups of armed men patrolled their neighborhoods to keep them safe at night. Whether individuals or families, against random criminals or organized threats, our lives are evidence that women and minorities – especially in today's urban areas – need our Second Amendment rights."

They noted the Supreme Court for the first time is settling the question whether individual citizens have a constitutional right to possess private firearms.

The amendment says; "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

The current case will decide whether that right refers to private, law-abiding citizens as individuals, or whether the right is a "collective" right that refers to the National Guard or some other militia.

Among the 92 different law enforcement voices speaking in support of the individual's right to own guns is the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, which said in its brief:

"Numerous surveys show that firearms are used (usually without a shot needing to be fired) for self-defense at least 97,000 times a year, and probably several hundred thousands times a year. The anti-crime effects of citizen handgun ownership provide enormous benefits to law enforcement, because there are fewer home invasion emergencies requiring an immediate police response, and because the substantial reductions in rates of burglary, assault, and other crimes allow the police and district attorneys to concentrate more resources on other cases and on deterrence."

"Guns save lives," the brief said. "In the hands of law-abiding citizens, guns provide very substantial public safety benefits. In all 50 states – but not the District – it is lawful to use firearms for defense against home invaders. The legal ownership of firearms for home defense is an important reason why the American rate of home invasion burglaries is far lower than in countries which prohibit or discourage home handgun defense."

Montana officials already have argued the U.S. already resolved any dispute about the meaning of the Second Amendment when it defined in Montana's compact under which it became a state that "any person" has the right to bear arms.

And U.S. Rep. Virgil Goode, R-Va., has led a congressional delegation in asking President Bush to order the U.S. Justice Department to submit a brief to the high court supporting the rights of individuals under the Second Amendment.

A similar request already has been submitted by officials for the Gun Owners of America.

The government's position is available in a document submitted by by U.S. Solicitor General Paul D. Clement. He said since "unrestricted" private ownership of guns clearly threatens the public safety, the Second Amendment can be interpreted to allow a variety of gun restrictions.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That's really messed up.

They only mention searching people who contact them requesting a search of their property... I wonder what they left out...:question: It doesn't seem like they would have much participation in this if it was based soley on people reaching out to the police... Am I missing something?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The more I think about this, the more retarded it is. Who the hell calls the police and says, "I think there is a gun in my house. Will you come and look for me?"

My response would be, "Do you have someone wipe your butt for you too after you use the restroom? Get off your a$$ and search your own friggin' house. If you find a weapon, don't touch it! Call us and we will come get it and take it away so you don't accidently shoot your dumb lazy butt or even worse, one of your neighbors."

Pointman

imported post

They promise amnesty if the gun has not been used in any crime. The mere possession of a handgun is a crime. So, is there amnesty?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Y'all have to remember that Washington, D.C. is a federal welfare city. This means the city rents space to the federal government which uses our money to pay the rent. If the feds were to pull out of DC, the city would collapse because they would lose a large chunk of change.

And there there is the illegally operated government (last time I checked, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights applies to the entire country). And these idiots, who can't even run a relatively small city, would like statehood. Once again, it would collapse if that were to occur because the Constitution sets aside a federal district, not a state, from which to operate.

DC is so f--ed up, it's not even funny.

squarepeg

imported post

I am not sure what the heck they think this would do either. Why would Jane Soccer Mom call the police to search her home for a gun if she knows that she has no guns in her house? That would mean people would take time out of their days to prove something thta they know is true. Then they would have to clean the house after everything was turned upside down by the police. People are lazy, the majority will not call the police when they know that they have done nothing wrong and are not breaking any laws.

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

"Umm... hello?? Ummm.... yeah.... this is mr Young. I think that uh.. there might possibly be a gun somewhere uuhh.. buried in my back yard. I was uuhh.. walking around with a uumm.. metal detector thingy, and uhh.. it started to like bep and stuff in my back yard. I think you should uumm... come and dig it up just to make sure. I don't want to be in any trouble you know."

I wonder if that would work to get my swimmimg pool dug out for free??

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mmdkyoung123 wrote:
"Umm... hello?? Ummm.... yeah.... this is mr Young. I think that uh.. there might possibly be a gun somewhere uuhh.. buried in my back yard. I was uuhh.. walking around with a uumm.. metal detector thingy, and uhh.. it started to like bep and stuff in my back yard. I think you should uumm... come and dig it up just to make sure. I don't want to be in any trouble you know."

Sweet cheap government labor!! Only 30-60% of your annual income to have them digging swimming pools! :banghead:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mmdkyoung123 wrote:

Reminds me of that old joke:

Billy Bob was out working by the barn one day when suddenly a dozen LE vehicle comes screaming up his driveway. Sheriff deputies, DEA, BATFE agents swarm out screaming at him, handcuffing him and dragging him up to his porch. The LEOs start unloading axes, wedges and sledgehammers from the vehicles. They tell Billy Bob that an anonymous tipster called in and said that Billy Bob had been dealing marijuana and was hiding his stash inside of semi-hollowed out logs in his woodpiles.

The LEOs work all day. They split every stick and log in every wood pile on his farm. Hours later, exhausted, the LEOs admit defeat, release Billy Bob and leave. Within minutes his best friend Bubba calls him and asks, "Billy Bob, was that the po-lice at your farm all day?"
"Yep" he says.
"Did they finally leave you alone?"
"Yep" he says.
"Did they split all your firewood before they left?"
"Yep" he says.
Bubba says, "Well you're welcome buddy and happy birthday!"

Tomahawk

imported post

Interesting story about this subject: I was getting a haircut in the dump...er...Sprngfield Mall the other day and two of the barbers started talking about this subject. The one guy was clearly of a mind that this was a bad idea and that letting it stand was giving the DC government too much room. The other guy was giving the typical sheeple answer about how it was "voluntary" and how it was needed to get rid of illegal guns.

I resisted opening my mouth to tell them both that anyone who willingly lets the government search their home needs his head examined. I just wanted to listen to see what the buzz was about.

imperialism2024

imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/8971.html ?

Anyhow, the rationale that makes some bit of sense is that this would be for, let's say, the parent who has a kid in a gang who keeps a gun at the house. Whereas the parent might fear for his/her life if he/she turned in the gun, there's a belief that by calling the police and having them confiscate the gun, he/she won't look like the bad guy.

Doesn't sound like it will do anything outside of a few rare cases, but it's not quite as stupid as for people who have lost a gun in their house and can't find it...

AbNo

imported post

You know, I was just thinking about "SWATing", where people make prank phone calls saying that there's a kidnapper or something in a house.

(Example for those unfamiliar with the term)
http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20071223/NEWS03/713395070

I wonder if anyone's going to start up a DC house-search style spoof of this.

*pulls out pre-paid cell phone*

"Uh, hi. Can you come check my house for guns? I live at 742 Evergreen Terrace. My name? Mr. Simpson."

Tomahawk

imported post

AbNo wrote:
You know, I was just thinking about "SWATing", where people make prank phone calls saying that there's a kidnapper or something in a house.

(Example for those unfamiliar with the term)
http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20071223/NEWS03/713395070

I wonder if anyone's going to start up a DC house-search style spoof of this.

*pulls out pre-paid cell phone*

"Uh, hi. Can you come check my house for guns? I live at 742 Evergreen Terrace. My name? Mr. Simpson."
"Heloo? My name is Mayor Adrian Fenty, and I think my son has guns hidden in my wife's underwear drawer...."