Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet found in UNH class, student gives gun to police. Live Free or Die NH Seacoastonline.com

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/p.../NEWS/80313034

DURHAM — There was a brief scare at the University of New Hampshire Thursday at noon when a student found a bullet on a classroom floor.

UNH police tracked the bullet to a student using information obtained from the classroom’s teacher and students. The bullet was apparently dropped from the student’s pocket after he had left a political science exam that day.

The student didn’t have a gun in his possession on campus, police said, but he did have a valid gun permit. According to UNH Deputy Police Chief Paul Dean the bullet was for a 38 caliber handgun the student kept at home. The student lives off campus and agreed to hand over the gun to police for safe keeping.

No charges were filed against the student. Police said it is against the law to have a gun on campus, but it is not illegal to carry ammunition.

I trust that he flunked a political science exam for surrendering his Rights

Banned

Post imported post

A comment from elsewhere:
    Let's see here - So after the sheep found a dangerous wolf fang on the floor they tracked down the sheep who had armed itself against the wolves and convinced the sheep to give up his fangs and claws because the rest the sheep were scared.

Post imported post

Agreed to hand it over to police for safe keeping??? WTF????

Fortunately, having found this site and a few others, when I have children I know to teach them about these exact type of situations and to tell an LEO who would ask for a voluntary surrender of a legal firearm to go fly a kite. Safekeeping. It would be laughable if not so outrageous.

Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

The student lives off campus and agreed to hand over the gun to police for safe keeping.
    I'd love to hear how that conversation went. what kind of 'persuasion' was used for the student to agree.

Post imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
    The student lives off campus and agreed to hand over the gun to police for safe keeping.
    I'd love to hear how that conversation went. what kind of 'persuasion' was used for the student to agree.
    More than likely, "You will be expelled if you don't hand it over"

Post imported post

No charges were filed against the student. Police said it is against the law to have a gun on campus, but it is not illegal to carry ammunition.

I trust that he flunked a political science exam for surrendering his Rights
    So, the Police took a list of all the students ran their names came up with one CCW/CHP holder and investigated/questioned him.:X
    When thePolicediscovered no laws was broken they should have dropped it.

Why on earth would he voluntarily surrender his firearm.:?
    The school admins. probably threatened him with sanctions if he didn't comply with the officers request.

If he didn't flunk the exam he should flunk the course, his actions prove he hasn't learned much if anything.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Banned

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Why on earth would he voluntarily surrender his firearm.:?
    The school admins. probably threatened him with sanctions if he didn't comply with the officers request.

If he didn't flunk the exam he should flunk the course, his actions prove he hasn't learned much if anything.
    Request identified by the 'please' rather than bitte

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA

Post imported post

wow... I mean....just.... WOW....

How long do you think it will take him to realize he is a hopeless idiot, and try to get his gun back? Just to realize he isn't smart enough to get through the red tape...

Post imported post

Even worse, hope he doesn't need that revolver to save his own life at his home. How would that play out? University and cops coerce him into surrendering his means of self-defense, he is killed or seriously injured by an intruder he couldn't defend against, then who is going to get sued for how much?
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

From the Seacoast Online Article:

I am originally from NH. I do not know of any NH law that makes it illegal to carry a firearm on a public university campus. Anybody have any details about this incident?

Live free or meekly surrender your rights????

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

He'll probably whine about trying to get the thing back later, after voluntarily surrendering it. Duh. Live free or... not.

-ljp

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Of course I've never heard the student say he "voluntarily" surrendered the gun...
    and we all know how truthful the media is all the time!

/end sarcasm

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    I am originally from NH. I do not know of any NH law that makes it illegal to carry a firearm on a public university campus.
    I agree - we are not tracking NH as banning college carry via state criminal law at all, see http://www.opencarry.org/images/collegecarrymap.png, I have sent the reporter an email on this issue.

Post imported post

I'm still trying to get over the bullet... or round of ammo, as this story probably means to say but the writer is too ignorant of guns to know the difference. And, once again, with at least some knowledge of guns, one would know that a loose round of ammo probably means that the person doesn't have a gun on their person, as ammo isn't too useful when it's not in a magazine, in a speedloader, or on a stripper clip. The first thing I'd think if someone dropped a round would be that they forgot to empty their pockets after going to the range. Now, if they dropped a mag, I'd make the gun-carrying connection, though it wouldn't really spark any interest on my part unless combined with factors that indicate the student may be a threat. But hell, the way things are going, next they better start investigating students who have anything metallic on them, as they might melt it down and use it to make a gun.

I don't know how I'll be able to cope with the gun hysteria when I go to a "regular" college in a year or so. At the community college where I'm taking classes now, the main "gun concern" is stopping people from hunting on campus.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    SNIP
    I don't know how I'll be able to cope with the gun hysteria when I go to a "regular" college in a year or so. At the community college where I'm taking classes now, the main "gun concern" is stopping people from hunting on campus.
    How big is your campus?

Post imported post

I have a couple of .45 slugs I dug out of a 4x6. I wonder what would happen if I dropped one of those at Blue Ridge?

Probably nothing.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

My college had an evacuation earlier this year after someone found empty ammo boxes in a trash can.

It turned out that someone had gone to the range the previous weekend and forgot to throw out the empty boxes (I guess they use their school bag as a range bag as well), so they threw them away when they were at school.

Post imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
    My college had an evacuation earlier this year after someone found empty ammo boxes in a trash can.

It turned out that someone had gone to the range the previous weekend and forgot to throw out the empty boxes (I guess they use their school bag as a range bag as well), so they threw them away when they were at school.
    This country is insane.

Post imported post

No no, just sheeple and liberals.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

hirundo82 wrote:

Now... if it had been a picture of an empty box of ammo... how much faster would they have evacuated?

Post imported post

I ... I ... uh ... um ... hunh?

Post imported post

hirundo82 wrote:

That makes as much sense as locking up your daughters because you found an empty condom box in the schools dumpster.

Post imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    SNIP
    How big is your campus?
    153 acres... but with a grand total of 5 buildings.

Post imported post

I wish I knew who this student is so that I could help him out. I work at UNH. It is not illegal to have a gun or ammunition on campus, but it is against campus policy, which itself is in violation of state law, but the cops on campus are either too ignorant or too dishonest to tell the truth. I posted the details concerning the campus firearm policy on my blog a couple years ago. Here is a link to that entry: http://defenderofliberty.blogspot.co...-think-so.html
    Here is the relevent excerpt:
    UNH is in violation of state law and state and federal constitutions.
    Last year I found out that the University of New Hampshire has a policy that prohibits students and employees from possessing a firearm on campus without written permission from the chief of police. I did some research, and found out that according to RSA 159:26, the state retains sole authority to regulate firearms, and prohibits any political subdivision from making any ordinance or regulation concerning firearms or ammunition and which declares any such regulation to be null and void. Last month I wrote a letter to the chief of the university police explaining the law. I requested written permission to carry a firearm on campus so that until the policy is overturned, I could carry without fear of retribution. A few days ago he replied with the following:

“Re: UNH III.J. Firearms on Campus

Dear Mr. Logsdon:

Thank you for your electronic message dated January 30, 2006 to Deputy Chief Paul Kopreski of the University Police Department. The purpose of this letter is to advise you that I have denied your request pursuant to UNH Administrative Policy III.J.4 (“the firearms policy”) “to possess a weapon [and] ammunition on campus for instructional or other qualified purposes and in other special circumstances.”

The University of New Hampshire, Durham and Manchester campuses, is committed to providing a safe and secure learning and working environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. My understanding of the firearms policy is that it reflects a sensible view that firearms present a risk of injury that is qualitatively different in the campus setting than in other environments. As you know, the firearms policy prohibits the use and possession of all firearms on the core campus of the University of New Hampshire by everyone except law enforcement officers.

Although you correctly note that the firearms policy allows me to grant permission to an individual to possess a weapon or ammunition on campus under some circumstances, I find none of those circumstances present in the situation described in your message. First, your message does not state that you are presently teaching a class sponsored by an academic program on the Durham campus. While it may be possible for a firearms safety course to be offered on campus at some point in time, especially with the practical portion of the course at an off-campus firing range, it is highly unlikely that I would authorize anyone instructing such a course to possess firearms in all places and at all times while on the Durham campus

I am not persuaded that RSA 159:26 requires me to reach a different conclusion, and do not find that it nullifies the firearms policy for three reasons. First, the plain language of the statute applies to “political subdivisions” of the state, and I believe that term excludes institutions like the University. This understanding of the statute is reinforced by RSA 159:26, II, which declares contrary municipal regulations and ordinances null and void. Second, it appears that the legislative policy of this state is to create safe environments for education. See RSA ch. 193-D (Safe School Zones); RSA 193:13, III. (Any pupil who brings or possesses a firearm as defined in section 921 of Title 18 of the United States Code in a safe school zone as defined in RSA 193-D:1 without written authorization from the superintendent or designee shall be expelled from school by the local school board for a period of not less than 12 months.). Although the University is not a “school” as described in the statutes, its enabling legislation is found in the same title of the statutory code, Title XV, as the provisions for safe schools and for mandatory expulsion of students who carry firearms. Given that similar safety concerns appear to be at work in both RSA 193:13, III and the University’s firearms policy, I do not find that the Legislature’s intent in enacting RSA 159:26 was to repeal the policy. Finally, RSA 159:26 only nullifies municipal ordinances and regulations enacted after the July 18, 2003. The firearms policy was adopted well before that date. Thus, even if the University were somehow to be classified as a “political subdivision,” its policy would survive the enactment of the statute.

The firearms policy provides that weapons may be stored on campus under my control or direction. My department stores guns for various members of the campus community on a case by case basis, and I would be happy to extend the same courtesy to you that I extend to other members of our community.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Nicholas J. Halias
    Chief of Police
    University of New Hampshire Police Department”

When I shared the letter with some friends, Kevin pointed out that “Nothing has been offered to show what is "qualitatively different" about a campus setting than other environments.”;
    “This conveniently ignores Section I, which says, "the state of New Hampshire shall have authority and jurisdiction over the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state." The obvious intent is that only the state may regulate such things, and other governmental entities within the state may not.
    Which brings up this point: if UNH is not a political subdivision, then by what authority does it have a police department and police chief? Can any group of citizens just create a police department? No, only government entities may do so.”;
    “And yet, the lawful possession of a firearm in a safe school zone, and even within the school buildings and classrooms, is perfectly legal, even by students. The law requires expulsion for 12 months for students, but there is no criminal penalty, no criminal record, and no crime. And that's just for students: the safe school act, RSA 193-D:1, I
    (e), criminalizes "Unlawful possession or sale of a firearm or other dangerous weapon under RSA 159."
    All lawful possession is, well, lawful”;
    “[He] ignored the broadly written law stating that only the state may regulate firearms, while also seeking unwritten inclusion into the narrowly crafted safe school act. The broad law somehow doesn't include them, while the narrow law must have meant to, even though it doesn't.”; and
    “And it is a policy. It's not a law. It is not a violation of any law to possess a firearm on a UNH campus, and any attempt by the UNH police to intimidate lawful ownership constitutes deprivation of rights under color of law.”
    Police officers frequently break the law and violate the rights of the public, but it is often difficult and self-destructive to take action against police officers or to go against their will because they can easily retaliate against anyone who stands up to them or points out their wrongdoing. Police officers frequently make false statements and take improper actions to protect police officers who break the law. I know there are some honest police officers out there, but they are either too scared or too apathetic to point out wrongdoing and corruption in their departments, and most are unwilling to take action to protect the constitutionally guaranteed rights of innocent Americans.
    Definition of political subdivision in section VI of RSA 101:2
    A part of the UNH website that refers to the University as a political subdivision (see last paragraph)

Post imported post

Tim Logsdon wrote:
    I posted the details concerning the campus firearm policy on my blog a couple years ago. Here is a link to that entry: http://defenderofliberty.blogspot.co...-think-so.html
    Here is the relevent excerpt:

“Re: UNH III.J. Firearms on Campus

Dear Mr. Logsdon:

Thank you for your electronic message dated January 30, 2006 to Deputy Chief . As you know, the firearms policy prohibits the use and possession of all firearms on the core campus of the University of New Hampshire by everyone except law enforcement officers...

...Sincerely,

Nicholas J. Halias
    Chief of Police
    University of New Hampshire Police Department”
    UNH is an open campus. Ordinary citizens can carry there with impunity. The UNH Chief of Police can do nothing but tell you that he has a policy, which you may ignore.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast