• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bullet found in UNH class, student gives gun to police. Live Free or Die NH Seacoastonline.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080313/NEWS/80313034

DURHAM — There was a brief scare at the University of New Hampshire Thursday at noon when a student found a bullet on a classroom floor.

UNH police tracked the bullet to a student using information obtained from the classroom’s teacher and students. The bullet was apparently dropped from the student’s pocket after he had left a political science exam that day.

The student didn’t have a gun in his possession on campus, police said, but he did have a valid gun permit. According to UNH Deputy Police Chief Paul Dean the bullet was for a 38 caliber handgun the student kept at home. The student lives off campus and agreed to hand over the gun to police for safe keeping.

No charges were filed against the student. Police said it is against the law to have a gun on campus, but it is not illegal to carry ammunition.

I trust that he flunked a political science exam for surrendering his Rights

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agreed to hand it over to police for safe keeping??? WTF????

Fortunately, having found this site and a few others, when I have children I know to teach them about these exact type of situations and to tell an LEO who would ask for a voluntary surrender of a legal firearm to go fly a kite. Safekeeping. It would be laughable if not so outrageous.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The student lives off campus and agreed to hand over the gun to police for safe keeping.
I'd love to hear how that conversation went. what kind of 'persuasion' was used for the student to agree.

hsmith

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
The student lives off campus and agreed to hand over the gun to police for safe keeping.
I'd love to hear how that conversation went. what kind of 'persuasion' was used for the student to agree.
More than likely, "You will be expelled if you don't hand it over"

Marco

imported post

No charges were filed against the student. Police said it is against the law to have a gun on campus, but it is not illegal to carry ammunition.

I trust that he flunked a political science exam for surrendering his Rights
So, the Police took a list of all the students ran their names came up with one CCW/CHP holder and investigated/questioned him.:X
When thePolicediscovered no laws was broken they should have dropped it.:exclaim:

Why on earth would he voluntarily surrender his firearm.:?
The school admins. probably threatened him with sanctions if he didn't comply with the officers request.

If he didn't flunk the exam he should flunk the course, his actions prove he hasn't learned much if anything.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Why on earth would he voluntarily surrender his firearm.:?
The school admins. probably threatened him with sanctions if he didn't comply with the officers request.

If he didn't flunk the exam he should flunk the course, his actions prove he hasn't learned much if anything.

Request identified by the 'please' rather than bitte

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Even worse, hope he doesn't need that revolver to save his own life at his home. How would that play out? University and cops coerce him into surrendering his means of self-defense, he is killed or seriously injured by an intruder he couldn't defend against, then who is going to get sued for how much?

Thundar

imported post

From the Seacoast Online Article:

I am originally from NH. I do not know of any NH law that makes it illegal to carry a firearm on a public university campus. Anybody have any details about this incident?

Live free or meekly surrender your rights????

Legba

imported post

He'll probably whine about trying to get the thing back later, after voluntarily surrendering it. Duh. Live free or... not.

-ljp

imperialism2024

imported post

I'm still trying to get over the bullet... or round of ammo, as this story probably means to say but the writer is too ignorant of guns to know the difference. And, once again, with at least some knowledge of guns, one would know that a loose round of ammo probably means that the person doesn't have a gun on their person, as ammo isn't too useful when it's not in a magazine, in a speedloader, or on a stripper clip. The first thing I'd think if someone dropped a round would be that they forgot to empty their pockets after going to the range. Now, if they dropped a mag, I'd make the gun-carrying connection, though it wouldn't really spark any interest on my part unless combined with factors that indicate the student may be a threat. But hell, the way things are going, next they better start investigating students who have anything metallic on them, as they might melt it down and use it to make a gun.

I don't know how I'll be able to cope with the gun hysteria when I go to a "regular" college in a year or so. At the community college where I'm taking classes now, the main "gun concern" is stopping people from hunting on campus.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
SNIP
I don't know how I'll be able to cope with the gun hysteria when I go to a "regular" college in a year or so. At the community college where I'm taking classes now, the main "gun concern" is stopping people from hunting on campus.
How big is your campus? :lol:

AbNo

imported post

I have a couple of .45 slugs I dug out of a 4x6. I wonder what would happen if I dropped one of those at Blue Ridge?

Probably nothing. :banghead:

hirundo82

imported post

My college had an evacuation earlier this year after someone found empty ammo boxes in a trash can.

It turned out that someone had gone to the range the previous weekend and forgot to throw out the empty boxes (I guess they use their school bag as a range bag as well), so they threw them away when they were at school.

Tomahawk

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
My college had an evacuation earlier this year after someone found empty ammo boxes in a trash can.

It turned out that someone had gone to the range the previous weekend and forgot to throw out the empty boxes (I guess they use their school bag as a range bag as well), so they threw them away when they were at school.
This country is insane.

imperialism2024

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:

Now... if it had been a picture of an empty box of ammo... how much faster would they have evacuated?