• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marine shot during firearms training at Quantico

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/marine_shot_during_firearms_training_at_quantico/5429/
STAFF REPORTS
Published: March 14, 2008

A Marine was shot in the back during live fire training this morning at the Quantico Marine Corps base.

The incident happened at about 9 a.m. at one of the firing ranges on the western part of the base, according to 2nd Lt. Joy Crabaugh, of the Quantico Public Affairs Office.

The Marine, who is not being identified until the individual’s next of kin has been notified, was attended to by military personnel on the site.

The Marine was transported by helicopter to Inova Fairfax Hospital and is listed in stable condition, Crabaugh said.

The Marine is a range coach with Weapons Training Battalion aboard the base.

The firing range where the incident occurred has been shut down until further notice, and the cause of the incident is under investigation, Crabaugh said.

rchjr

imported post

We had a similar training class in the Army. They called it "cover me Alpha". You and a partner would lep frog advance towards an emplaced weapon and if you crossed each others lane of fire that could easily happen. Rumor had it that it had at some time at Ft. Jackson, but I don't know. Was pretty intense because you didn't get to pick your partner. I'm glad the marine will recover. Somebody's tail is in a sling I bet.

LEO 229

imported post

Damn....

Laser rule!!!!

Keep finger off trigger till ready to fire!!!

cREbralFIX

imported post

From my QSC source:

The Marine was out of the hospital in a few hours. They did not remove the bullet because it was too close to his spine.

One group of Marines was on another range and training with AK-47s. This Marine was on ANOTHER range changing targets.

This one of those magic bullets...somehow zipped over a berm, looped around, and whack!

This is officially his one and only lottery ticket for this life.

LEO 229

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
From my QSC source:

The Marine was out of the hospital in a few hours. They did not remove the bullet because it was too close to his spine.

One group of Marines was on another range and training with AK-47s. This Marine was on ANOTHER range changing targets.

This one of those magic bullets...somehow zipped over a berm, looped around, and whack!

Oh!!! That sucks!!

AbNo

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
From my QSC source:

The Marine was out of the hospital in a few hours.  They did not remove the bullet because it was too close to his spine.

"Walk it off, Marine!" :lol:

Good to hear he should be all right.

thnycav

imported post

Yes you do not have to worry as much about the bullet with your name on it but the ones that are marked to WHOM IT MAY CONCERN.

hsmith

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
From my QSC source:

Just goes to show, you can never be too careful with firearms.