• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma may allow college students to carry guns

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"It would not limit a university's ability to restrict concealed weapons from access-controlled areas where people are subject to security checks."

I was looking for the loophole for the schools and there it is.

*Ding* Security check at all student housing entrances
*Ding* Security check at classroom building entrances
*Ding* Security check at student union entrances

"others with firearms training certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education"

Wonder what that entails. Is that LE only training or just training recognized by that organization? I have 12 hours of formal training in the last year that is qualified as continuing ed for LE. Is something like that going to count for students?

Well it is better than the current situation, but still not as good as it should be. Just because someone was a cook in the navy doesn't mean that he is any better trained with a handgun than someone who has not served but has extensive formal training and range experience. Once again though, we have a clear line of demarcation between (D) and (R) at the state levels.

dclabounty

imported post

Passed the House 65-36. I disagree with it as it creates a special class of people that are allowed to carry. But it seems like a step in the right direction.