• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting Laws

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NRS 503.165 Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun in or on vehicle on or along public way unlawful; exceptions.
1. It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in or on any vehicle which is standing on or along, or is being driven on or along, any public highway or any other way open to the public.
2. A rifle or shotgun is loaded, for the purposes of this section, when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber, but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.
3. The provisions of this section do not apply to paraplegics, persons with one or both legs amputated or who have suffered a paralysis of one or both legs which severely impedes walking, or peace officers and members of the Armed Forces of this State or the United States while on duty or going to or returning from duty.

OPINIONS?

varminter22

imported post

timf343 wrote:
NRS 503.165 Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun in or on vehicle on or along public way unlawful; exceptions.
1. It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in or on any vehicle which is standing on or along, or is being driven on or along, any public highway or any other way open to the public.
2. A rifle or shotgun is loaded, for the purposes of this section, when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber, but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.
3. The provisions of this section do not apply to paraplegics, persons with one or both legs amputated or who have suffered a paralysis of one or both legs which severely impedes walking, or peace officers and members of the Armed Forces of this State or the United States while on duty or going to or returning from duty.

OPINIONS?
I don't think there is anything to worry about. It specifically says "rifle or shotgun." And, you can load the magazine - just don't chamber a live round.

There is NO law prohibiting the the carry/transportation of a fully loaded handgun.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fair enough....but does the police have the right to INSPECT my firearm? That sounds like illegal seizure if I do not consent.

It'd be the same thing as the police being allowed to search my wife's purse to make sure there's no drugs. "I need to confirm you're not carrying anything illegal." No duty for me to confirm my innocence.

Same goes for the firearm. "I need to make sure it's not LOADED." I'm under no obligation whatsoever to allow LE to do so.

My shotgun can carry 6 rounds (12 ga 2.75") in the magazine, so I'm not overly worried about it....just messing aroud on Leg website the other day in search of firearms laws hidden elsewhere. Hate to have a firearm conviction for a law I didn't know about because it's hidden in the TRAFFIC or HUNTING laws.

varminter22

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Fair enough....but does the police have the right to INSPECT my firearm? That sounds like illegal seizure if I do not consent.

It'd be the same thing as the police being allowed to search my wife's purse to make sure there's no drugs. "I need to confirm you're not carrying anything illegal." No duty for me to confirm my innocence.

Same goes for the firearm. "I need to make sure it's not LOADED." I'm under no obligation whatsoever to allow LE to do so.

My shotgun can carry 6 rounds (12 ga 2.75") in the magazine, so I'm not overly worried about it....just messing aroud on Leg website the other day in search of firearms laws hidden elsewhere. Hate to have a firearm conviction for a law I didn't know about because it's hidden in the TRAFFIC or HUNTING laws.

Good points.

Of course I'm not an attorney. But ...

I would personally opine that law enforcement do not have the right to inspect your firearm that is carried inside your vehicle (not upon your person) UNLESS probable cause exists OR the LEO can articulate reasonable suspicion that a crime has been, or is about to be, committed.And "probable cause"/"reasonable suspicion" will be the issue; the courts seem to allow great latitude to LEOs.

LEOs MUST have probable cause, or be able to articulate reasonable suspicion - a "gut hunch" is NOT enough.

It sure would be interesting to have a bonafide attorney's opinion.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

timf343 wrote:

Yeah, when I first discovered the chambered rifle rule hidden in the hunting law section I was upset too. I hate it when they are hidden.