• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry at the KC zoo?

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

Doesn anyone know what the policy is on this? Didn't find anything on the zoo's website or doing a google search. I would normally just go about my business and find out that way, but I don't really want to put my kids through that. Just wondering if anyone has been to the zoo recently and knows if it is posted or etc.

Article1section23

captainamerica

imported post

Shawn - I don't think you missed anything from a state and even a city ordinance point of view.......but if they have a no firearms sign then I'm thinking OC or CCW (it does have to be alegal no-ccw sign) is not an option; if spotted it mightresult in a trespassing violation or disturbing the peace. Obviously OC will get spotted. It's probably like one of those private property kinds of things. Just my two cents. Not sure if I'm on the right track or not.

Shawn wrote:
Mike wrote:
Is there any ordinance making gun carry unlawful at the zoo?

http://www.kansascityzoo.org/Visit/Index.asp?IdS=001EE7-4249A80&Reference=Rules&~=

Its inside the city limits and is run by the city....and I can find nothing that prohibits both OPEN or CONCEALED Carry at the KC ZOO. http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=10156&sid=25

If I missed something, please post it, because I'm not reading the entire code for KC.

Article1section23

imported post

Sec. 50-269. Concealed weapons in city buildings.

(a)No person who has a concealed carry endorsement issued by the Missouri director of revenue under Section 571.094 RSMo. who has been issued a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state, shall, by authority of that endorsement or permit, be allowed to carry a concealed firearm or to openly carry a firearm in any building or portion of a building owned, leased or controlled by the city.

(b)Signs shall be posted at each entrance of a building entirely owned, leased or controlled by the city stating that carrying of firearms is prohibited. Where the city owns, leases or controls only a portion of a building, signs shall be posted at each entrance to that portion of the building stating that carrying of firearms is prohibited.

(c)This section shall not apply to buildings used for public housing by private persons, highways or rest areas, firing ranges, or private dwellings owned, leased or controlled by the city.

(d)Any person violating this section may be denied entrance to the building or ordered to leave the building. No other penalty shall be imposed for a violation of this section.

(e)Prior to July 1, 2004, when the director of revenue begins issuing concealed carry endorsements, no person who has been issued a certificate of qualification which allows the person to carry a concealed firearm shall, by authority of that certificate, be allowed to carry a concealed firearm or to openly carry a firearm in any building or portion of a building owned, leased or controlled by the city.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

captainamerica wrote:
but if they have a no firearms sign then I'm thinking OC or CCW (it does have to be alegal no-ccw sign) is not an option; if spotted it mightresult in a trespassing violation or disturbing the peace.
Tresspass? For lawful conduct on public property belonging to the people?

captainamerica

imported post

I guesstheissue for OC at the KC zoo is public or private property since OC is not restricted in KC. I'm not a lawyer and I don't know if the city owns the zoo straight up or if there are other ownership/control issues for one to consider. I do believe that public property allows for OC unless a city ordinance restricts it under the state law. Ihave never heard of anyoneOCing at the zoo andfor now I do not intend to try it.

The CCW law statesif one carries concealed into a posted placethey must leave, if asked. If they refuse the police can be called and can ask you to leave. If you do not then a trespassing violation can be written. It can even escalate from there. Enough trespassing violations results in suspension of the CCW permit. To my knowledge this includes posted city property; but maybe the issue is whether they can post the entire zoo or just buildings. I think that is an issue in Kansas.

Mike wrote:
captainamerica wrote:
but if they have a no firearms sign then I'm thinking OC or CCW (it does have to be alegal no-ccw sign) is not an option; if spotted it mightresult in a trespassing violation or disturbing the peace.
Tresspass? For lawful conduct on public property belonging to the people?

BroadwayXD

imported post

Missouri Revised Statutes [size="+2"] Chapter 571
Weapons Offenses
Section 571.107

[/size]
(13) Any gated area of an amusement park. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the amusement park shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

they might have you on this
i carried at the stl zoo a couple of weeks ago but the was no sign i could see, and i did look, but it was concealed carry as i didnt want the attention for my wife or kids sake. and from what i heard someone fell into the bear pit though i wasnt near i would have felt awful if i saw a child get hurt and couldnt help because of some sign.
[size="+2"]

[/size]

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BroadwayXD wrote:
i carried at the stl zoo a couple of weeks ago but the was no sign i could see, and i did look, but it was concealed carry as i didnt want the attention for my wife or kids sake. and from what i heard someone fell into the bear pit though i wasnt near i would have felt awful if i saw a child get hurt and couldnt help because of some sign.
Good plan, being that STL is no OC just like Cape IIRC.

RsMO 571.107 is the list of prohibitions for CC. They wouldn't have any effect on OC.