• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms definitions?

cahilj

imported post

I have a question about the definition of "loaded" in CT. Does it mean actually having a round in the chamber, or having a magazine in the weapon? In the instance of shotguns- does it mean a shell in the chamber, or in the magazine? I ask because I've seen different states define it as different things, and I want to make sure I'm legal when I go into CT. If the definition means just having the magazine inserted (or shells in the magazine tube), then what is the point of even being able to carry at all, especially in a vehicle?

brk913

imported post

cahilj wrote:
I have a question about the definition of "loaded" in CT. Does it mean actually having a round in the chamber, or having a magazine in the weapon? In the instance of shotguns- does it mean a shell in the chamber, or in the magazine? I ask because I've seen different states define it as different things, and I want to make sure I'm legal when I go into CT. If the definition means just having the magazine inserted (or shells in the magazine tube), then what is the point of even being able to carry at all, especially in a vehicle?
Well, you cannot carry any long gun in a motor vehicle if their is a carttridge in the magazine, tube or any other feeding device attached to the long gun, of course one in the chamger is no go either.......as far as handguns go, in CT you must possess a CT Pistol Permit to have a handgun in your possession outside your home or business, this gun can be loaded, chambered and on your person....