• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Washington still an "Anomalous" OC state?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

OC is permitted per state law of course, and is protected by preemption. However one does need a CPL to carry in a vehicle, and some LEA's are still a bit confused on the topic, or at least act that way.

OTOH do you think we have achieved "gold star" status, or would needing a CPL to carry in a vehicle screw that?

ATCer

imported post

I don't know, I live in AZ (for the past 2 or so years) and it really seems to me that WA is much more "gun-friendly" than it is here. I think the deal breaker is being able to enter an establishment that serves alcohol as opposed to AZ where you cannot. There have been instances where someone was open carrying, but because someone was standing on the opposite side of the gun, they said it was "concealed" and they were arrested for not possessing a CPL. Erroneous, I know. But it actually surprises me that WA is not a gold star state. (The guys as LEOs) common knowledge that OC is legal.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

It's more of a definitions issue. Arizona, due to State v. Adams and State v. Mims, should not be a gold star open carry state due to carry laws in the car.

Regards,

Lonnie

TechnoWeenie

imported post

ATCer wrote:
There have been instances where someone was open carrying, but because someone was standing on the opposite side of the gun, they said it was "concealed" and they were arrested for not possessing a CPL.

Are you supposed to wear it on your head? :shock: