• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

March 15th OC Activities: Tri-Met: Some succes, lots of failure - Arrested

grishnav

imported post

Phssthpok had a recorder too. They asked us if we were recording (it came up in conversation... "this isn't going to show up on youtube, is it?"), and we made the "mistake" of being honest... We could have lied to the security guard and not said anything to the cop and probably been home.

Lesson learned. Community policing at it's finest.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I see you made craigslist rant/raves:

------------

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/rnr/608221759.html

Congratulations Portland, Max is now much safer to ride. Security is out in force with thier eye on everyone.

Just yesterday two CHL holders were kicked off max for open carrying their handguns. Once on the way to the Gun and Knife show and again on the way home. Earlier they were told Tri Met has a policy that you can only have handguns in a case when you ride. They would have to cover the handguns if they wanted to ride the train. OK what if they didn't have CHLs; is Tri Met suggesting they conceal a handgun against state law?
The stupidity of the blather pouring out of Tri Met security was amazing. They are clueless and have never read ORS 166.170.
That afternoon they again get kicked off Max at 82nd. Again because of Tri Met policy regarding handguns. They were wrong that morning and remain wrong that afternoon....

This time the Portland police are called and these two guys get arrested.
No, not for any firearms infraction, but because they had a tape recorder. They had the nerve to actually tape record what they were being told, up to the point of "turn that off you are under arrest. So by attempting to record the interogation and arrest you are wire tapping a oral communication.
this law actually they were charge with breaking
165.543 Interception of communications. (1) Except as provided in ORS 133.724 or as provided in ORS 165.540 (2)(a), any person who willfully intercepts, attempts to intercept or procures any other person to intercept or attempt to intercept any wire or oral communication where such person is not a party to the communication and where none of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception, is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. (2) As used in this section, the terms “intercept” and “wire or oral communication” have the meanings provided under ORS 133.721. [1983 c.824 §3]
So feel safe Portland Police have your back they simply are not going to stand for any recording of anyone else with out the consent of the person being recorded. Thank god it's about time! No wait Oregon is a one way communication state.... It's legal to record anothers oral communications with you w/o their consent.
Good job on that arrest!
Keep up the good work!

-----

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/rnr/608288731.html

Re: Tri Met feels much safer now.....
[line]

Reply to: pers-608288731@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-03-16, 1:56PM PDT

This time the Portland police are called and these two guys get arrested.

No, not for any firearms infraction, but because they had a tape recorder. They had the nerve to actually tape record what they were being told, up to the point of "turn that off you are under arrest. So by attempting to record the interogation and arrest you are wire tapping a oral communication.

this law actually they were charge with breaking

165.543 Interception of communications. (1) Except as provided in ORS 133.724 or as provided in ORS 165.540 (2)(a), any person who willfully intercepts, attempts to intercept or procures any other person to intercept or attempt to intercept any wire or oral communication where such person is not a party to the communication and where none of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception, is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. (2) As used in this section, the terms “intercept” and “wire or oral communication” have the meanings provided under ORS 133.721. [1983 c.824 §3]

So feel safe Portland Police have your back they simply are not going to stand for any recording of anyone else with out the consent of the person being recorded. Thank god it's about time! No wait Oregon is a one way communication state.... It's legal to record anothers oral communications with you w/o their consent.

It's refreshing to see that others take the time to know the laws that the police don't seem to know.

You are most correct. In Oregon, it is legal to record a conversation as long as one of the parties being recorded knows that the conversation is being recorded. Which means that if you are recording a conversation -you- are having with someone else, it is legal and you do not, technically, need their consent.

The best part of that bit you provided is that they were told to turn off the tape... that implies that the people saw the tape recorded and thus knew it was there. So this wasn't a covert taping, but out in the open, in a public place.
Seems to me the police have little to stand on.

If these guys actually get charged and convicted of recording the conversation, that would be a complete disregard for the law, and it's intent.

Maybe those officers need to learn what definitions are:
-==================-
133.721 Definitions for ORS 41.910 and 133.721 to 133.739. As used in ORS 41.910 and 133.721 to 133.739, unless the context requires otherwise:

(7) “Oral communication” means:
(a) Any oral communication, other than a wire or electronic communication, uttered by a person exhibiting an expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectation; or
-==================-
In the first part, the statute states, clearly, that "any person who willfully intercepts, attempts to intercept or procures any other person to intercept or attempt to intercept any wire or oral communication where such person is not a party to the communication"... seems to me that the guys doing the recording WERE party to the communication. So that statute doesn't apply. And looking at the definitions, it states a communication which a person can reasonable expect isn't subject to interception... well, if the tape recorder is visible, then there is no expectation of privacy.

Can't wait to see how this works out...

-----

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rnr/608305923.html

RE Re: Tri Met feels much safer now..... -
[line]

Reply to: pers-608305923@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-03-16, 2:12PM PDT

How the **** do you really expect it to work out?

The poor accused will not be able to afford attorneys or to lose work or risk school fighting it. The DA may drop the charges but the Portland Police State will have succeeded in intimidating the arrested as well as all onlookers in to greater subservience.

The solution is for ALL people to openly carry, and be armed with loaded weapons.

You can bet your boopie that crime will skid to a halt and the there will be good manners everywhere.

Ya, fat chance.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How should it work out? Lets see, the DA discovers what a jam he is in and offers a deal to drop the charges. Our gun toting mavericks tell him to f-- off and file suite. The charges get dropped anyhow and the Portland police pay up.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

irfner wrote:
How should it work out? Lets see, the DA discovers what a jam he is in and offers a deal to drop the charges. Our gun toting mavericks tell him to f-- off and file suite. The charges get dropped anyhow and the Portland police pay up.
Mmmm..... lawsuit...... major screw up by Portland! Good luck getting this straightened out guys!!!

Tomahawk

imported post

irfner wrote:

LOL. I was reading about the "old days" of the American Revolution, when it was not uncommon for an officer whose honor was called into question to actually demand to be court-martialed so that he could clean his reputation in front of his peers and make it official that the accuser was an ass.

Shame we don't have the same trust in our criminal court system today; it would be nice to demand a trial with the full confidence that the result would be a black eye to the reputations of the officers and prosecutors who have accused you. As is stands today, the sheeple jury might just as well be talked into convicting your sorry butt, even if you obviously didn't commit a crime. Not to mention the permanant record you will have to explain.

cato

imported post

Not knowing these laws intimately, I still would be surprised if the DA takes the case and if he doesI would suspect a public defender should be able to handle this one.

Iextend myrespect and admiration to both of the fine citizens involved in this case! Thank for your efforts and you are not alone!!!

photo by oleg volk

Attachments

• fists0205.jpg
    fists0205.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 635

Phssthpok

imported post

The real pisser of it all is that I suspect they've 'tapped' my ISP. I'm getting a weird 'hang' on page loads that I have NEVER seen before yesterday.....EVER.

Imagine that.... wiretapping my ISP after charging me with 'wiretapping'.

BRILLIANT!
:quirky

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
The real pisser of it all is that I suspect they've 'tapped' my ISP. I'm getting a weird 'hang' on page loads that I have NEVER seen before yesterday.....EVER.

BRILLIANT!
That's why I use a public connection and when I'm really paranoid I us Thor IP blocker...

Euromutt

imported post

grishnav wrote:
They asked us if we were recording (it came up in conversation... 'this isn't going to show up on youtube, is it?'), and we made the 'mistake' of being honest...
Oh, even better! A question like that shows that the cops were fully aware of the presence of the recording device (therefore, it cannot have been concealed) and were alert to the possibility that it might indeed have been recording (and thus "knew or reasonably should have known that the recording was being made").

grishnav

imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
It seems from the CL posts that the cops were harassing you about open carrying. Is that true?

Tough call. I don't feel that we were terribly harassed by the security guard or the first officer on scene (the Milwaukie officer), but at the same time, we were only contacted because of our legally carried firearms, so we shouldn't have been contacted, removed from the train, or questioned at all. And the encounter should have ended once everyone realized that we were legit. Initially, it was only midly annoying. After the first 10 or so minutes, being detained and questioned for what seemed like an hour to wait for the sergeant, seems a bit like harassment, even if the people involved remained professional and friendly.

The second officer on scene (the sergeant) was less than professional, and I feel strongly as though he only had us charged with the wiretapping to harass and intimidate us for our open carrying.

edit: I was removed from the train in the morning, after purchasing my ticket, by a trimet representative who turned her ID inward (so it couldn't be read) and refused to identify herself. She refused to refund, threatened me repeatedly, and spoke very poorly of me to her "command," even as I was quite professional to her. She supposedly had the police and a supervisor on the way, but neither one ever showed.

grishnav

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:

BRILLIANT!
That's why I use a public connection and when I'm really paranoid I us Thor IP blocker...
http://www.relakks.com/
http://tor.eff.org/

Dave The Welder

imported post

grishnav wrote:
edit: I was removed from the train in the morning, after purchasing my ticket, by a trimet representative who turned her ID inward (so it couldn't be read) and refused to identify herself. She refused to refund, threatened me repeatedly, and spoke very poorly of me to her "command," even as I was quite professional to her. She supposedly had the police and a supervisor on the way, but neither one ever showed.
Two things:

1) If I'm reading this right, you were removed from the train twice in one day, correct?

2) If she turns her ID inward and refuses to identify herself, then isn't she refusing to identify herself as a Trimet rep and then can't you just ignore her. You are recording after all, so whatever story she makes up when (theoretical) she called the police, you could contradict. Then you'd have her on...on...shoot, I forgot what it was called. Basically, you'd have her on lying to the police

grishnav

imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
grishnav wrote:
Two things:

1) If I'm reading this right, you were removed from the train twice in one day, correct?

2) If she turns her ID inward and refuses to identify herself, then isn't she refusing to identify herself as a Trimet rep and then can't you just ignore her. You are recording after all, so whatever story she makes up when (theoretical) she called the police, you could contradict. Then you'd have her on...on...shoot, I forgot what it was called. Basically, you'd have her on lying to the police

1. Yes.

2. I would have stuck around, but was going to be late for the show, and wanted to meet everyone, so I just drove.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

If you are irritated with the events that occured and want to voice your disaproval with Tri Met policies, which caused this mess in the first place; please email them at

Public Relations

Phone 503-962-4910
Email pr@trimet.org
Hours 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays

State law preventsTri Met and any other public agencyfrom making rules regarding the possesion and transportation of fire arms in Oregon.

Try as they mightto deny it.It is theywho are breaking the laws

Attachments

• wakeupamerica.jpg
    wakeupamerica.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 564

grishnav

imported post

Round 2. I showed up to retrieve my handguns from evidence today, and I made the comment to the guy, "Hmm. I should have thought about how to take these back to the car before I came in," to which he replied, "yeah, especially since you don't have a concealed handgun license any more."

"Huh?"
"They haven't told you yet?"
"No."
"It looks like they are going to revoke your license for the arrest."
"<inaudible mashing of teeth>"

As far as I can tell, they do have grounds to do this, since I guess technically that I'm out on pretrial release. Ugh.

And the law allows for new CHLs to be denied if they have been revoked in the past. So WTF? Even if not convicted, they can deny it forever because I was arrested while I had it? If I hadn't had one, I'd be able to go apply for a new one as soon as the pretrial release was over.

Ugh!

Edit: Misread the rules. Looks like I should be able to get it back once all this crap is over with.

Still. Ugh.