• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Free Tibet.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Doesn't sound too different from some locales in the US. In both countries,it's against the law but some cops do it anyway. Post-911, we even torture people, now.
I don't believe torture has anything to do specifically with post-911 aside from the fact that it is more talked about now; prior to 9-11 it followed the 'out of sight out of mind' mentality. Governments and their agents have through out history always attempted to silence and/or coerce forcefully by various means and for various reasons. There have always been rogue agents of the state whether they are police or politicians that have acted contrary to the rights of the people. It is just after 9-11 and the 'trading liberty for a false sense of security' that people are finally starting to wake up and bringing it out in the open. Torture will never go away as long as there are persons charged with the upkeep of society of a number of people.

Tomahawk

imported post

Toad wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Doesn't sound too different from some locales in the US. In both countries,it's against the law but some cops do it anyway. Post-911, we even torture people, now.
I don't believe torture has anything to do specifically with post-911 aside from the fact that it is more talked about now; prior to 9-11 it followed the 'out of sight out of mind' mentality. Governments and their agents have through out history always attempted to silence and/or coerce forcefully by various means and for various reasons. There have always been rogue agents of the state whether they are police or politicians that have acted contrary to the rights of the people. It is just after 9-11 and the 'trading liberty for a false sense of security' that people are finally starting to wake up and bringing it out in the open. Torture will never go away as long as there are persons charged with the upkeep of society of a number of people.
Yes, but post-911, many in govenment and especially many commentators are now actually comfortable discussing it as an option. What was once almost unthinkable is now becoming more accepted. Too many idiots think that Jack Baur is real.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good point...I am glad I don't watch the boob tube so I don't have that negative influence. Well I do watch House; I like that show. I have to admit that torture has really progressed into a hidden hard to prove art form. Very scary considering that the US was intended to be a free nation.

LEO 229

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Oh, and one last word about Japan.

If you're wondering just how different Japanese and American culture are, take a look at this. Warning: if you're not on drugs now you will feel like you are about halfway through the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16KpquGsIc

Now I want a hamburger...
Can you say acid trip??

This video was painful to watch!