Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry at NRA Convention

Post imported post

Will carry be allowed at the NRA convention and meetings at the Kentucky Expo Center?
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

comp45acp wrote:
    Will carry be allowed at the NRA convention and meetings at the Kentucky Expo Center?
    I don't know what their carry policy is, but I know what mine is.

Post imported post

They have gun shows out there. AFAIK they're not posted, was just out there a couple of weekends ago.

Post imported post

If they don't allow it, for gosh sake, call them out on their hipocracy!!

Post imported post

Was concealed carry allowed last year in St. Louis (St. Louis and most of the surrounding areas have no OC ordinances) ? The place they held it was posted at one time, but I haven't been there in several years. I found it odd that they chose the absolutely most anti-gun location in Missouri last year after ditching Columbus, OH because of certain firearm bans. The St. Louis metro area is the reason it took 4 years to pass a CCW law and also the reason we still do not have preemption for open carry in the state. It was also a St. Louis metro area state legislator who submitted the bill for microstamping ammo in MO.

I'm just curious to compare the last few years and whether or not our rights are being upheld at NRA national events. I would think that the NRA would be mindful of only choosing location where carry is allowed to hold the conventions. I think KY is a great idea being a gold star carry state (not to mention my personal love for the state).
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Kentucky

Summary
    Kentucky is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is constitutionally protected with court precedent and law enforcement is aware of its legality.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I've been hoping to get a clear answer to this as well (I'm coming down for the Convention). I know Kentucky is a Gold Star state, but it's not 'the law', or even the NRA I'm concerned about. It's the owners of the Convention Center whose insurance carriers may impose such a limitation.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Are there any locals, or others coming into Louisville for the Convention that might be interested in meeting up?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

I know that the gun show portion may be off limits to loaded gun carry, but the convention itself shouldn't be.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Since there will be no sales of gun or ammo, I don't see the point for the typical gun show policy of no loaded carry. Do you know this from previous NRA Convention experience, or are you just assuming?

Post imported post

Carrying at the Annual Meeting is up to the management of the venue where the meeting is held.Insurance policy dictates their decision

At last years meeting atthe Edwards Jones Dome, No firearms. Had the NRA held the meeting at the fairgrounds 20 minutes south, firearms would have been OK,however the fair groundscan accommodate 20,000 people,over 64,000 people attended the meeting. You can see the dilemma.

Now St.Louis has not always been a friend to the 2A, But NRA members made last years meeting the largest convention ever held in that State. Lets hope State officials take notice.

Post imported post

1st freedom wrote:
    Now St.Louis has not always been a friend to the 2A,
    That's kind of like saying Fetal Alcohol Syndrome hasn't always been a friend to newborns.

State officials are not the issue in St. Louis. St. Louis area officials are the problem in St. Louis. I was frankly amazed that the NRA had a convention in St. Louis, essentially rewarding the most anti-2A area of the state. It took 3 long years to finally get CC passed in MO because of the St. Louis area. Once passed the St. Louis area tried to stop it through the courts by going to anti-2A judges in the St. Louis area which worked for a short time. I hope Louisville is a better venue.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I just got the word,,

Concealed carry only in the convention center. BUILDING security will ask you concealif you are OC

Post imported post

Why CC only? Who owns the building?

So security will ask one to conceal - does one have to comply?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

1st freedom wrote:
    I just got the word,,

Concealed carry only in the convention center. BUILDING security will ask you concealif you are OC
    The word from who? A friend who is accompanying me to the convention inquired while purchasing event tickets over the phone and was told OC and CC were permitted. And what about those who aren't licensed or their home license isn't recognized?

I plan on carrying as usual (OC) and dealing with any situation as it arises.

Post imported post

Well, that's better than no carry.

Post imported post

According to the Courier Journal writeup on the convention, any carry is fine. Since KY is an open carry state, I don't see how there would/could be an issue. It's not against the law, or the convention center rules, and the NRA is cool with it.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...=2008805030560
    <snip>

Parsons added that said she has no idea how many convention-goers will be licensed to carry weapons, or will bring weapons. But, "if law-abiding members want to carry, they can," she said.
    Harold Workman, Kentucky State Fair Board president, confirmed that the fairgrounds has "no policy to restrict firearms" carried legally.
    <snip>

Post imported post

gnbrotz wrote:
    1st freedom wrote:
    I just got the word,,

The word from who? A friend who is accompanying me to the convention inquired while purchasing event tickets over the phone and was told OC and CC were permitted. And what about those who aren't licensed or their home license isn't recognized?

I plan on carrying as usual (OC) and dealing with any situation as it arises.
    Maj. James Land, I would consider him credible source.

I believe it was at the request of the vendors. They don't want anybody walking off with a "new replacement" in their holster.If you are planing on OC I might suggest clothing with an option to switch to CC.

Post imported post

Teknoid,

I read the article, and it does contradict what I was told yesterday, I have requested clarification, stand by

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

1st freedom wrote
    Maj. James Land, I would consider him credible source.

I believe it was at the request of the vendors. They don't want anybody walking off with a "new replacement" in their holster.If you are planing on OC I might suggest clothing with an option to switch to CC.
    This would sure seem like a strange reason. If I were personally going to attempt such an act, I'd be sure to have my rig concealed, to avoid as much scrutiny as possible. Furthermore, I'd wager that a large percentage of carry pieces are a model that won't even be present on the show floor. My own is over 10 years old and the exact model isn't even in production any more.

I understand there are certain reasons (such as venue insurance, etc.) that prohibit carry in some places, but if the reason for such limits is imposed by someone the NRA organizers have control over, and they allow such limits, I will be HIGHLY pissed.

Post imported post

OC or CC is legal on the fairgrounds complying with KY state laws.The vendors have requested that firearms be concealed while in the Exhibit Hall.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

After I dreary day driving through mostly rain, I arrived safely in Louisville, KY. Along the way, I made the following stops, mostly OC:

*WV Welcome center
    *BP station (WV)
    *WV rest area
    *Pilot travel center (WV)
    *KY rest area (CC because it was raining and I had a coat on)
    *Pilot travel center (KY, CC again because of the rain)
    *KY Fair & Expo Center
    *Days Inn

I went straight to the Expo Center, still with my jacket on because of the rain. Since the Convention doesn't officially kick off until tomorrow, there weren't too many people around. I checked in at Member Services, and then went to the Press Room - yep, bloggers are recognized as "Media".

I heard an 'official-looking' gentleman telling three people that "OC is allowed, but if it comes out of the holster, they are OUT OF HERE IMMEDIATELY". I inquired who advised him of this because I did prefer to OC and wanted to be sure it was OK. He looked at my media badge and said he couldn't tell me because I was "Press".

I chuckled and said, "Dude, I'm just a blogger". He still wouldn't give me a source, but restated the policy and assured me it was accurate. I peeled off my jacket and spent a little time looking at all the goodies the NRA want me to buy to advertise for them. I then proceeded to the hotel where I continued to OC through the lobby and parking lot without so much as an odd glance. There are other convention goers here too, as I'm sure is the case at most of the hotels in the city this weekend.

After getting to my hotel room, I grabbed a Pepsi cap to put the code in for some "Pepsi points". I couldn't believe what I saw. Check out the top half of the code. I think this one is a keeper.

Post imported post

Isn't KY great? Not only is it OC friendly, you get a free "BONK"!

Welcome to the Bluegrass, hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

teknoid wrote:
    Welcome to the Bluegrass, hope you enjoy your stay with us.
    I'm sure I will. I lived in Louisville (and New Albany, IN) for three years in the mid-90s. I always enjoy coming back.

Post imported post

comp45acp wrote:
    Doesn't appear that carry will be allowed with McCain around after-all. Please hit the poll!!

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/sto...10380f6af.html#
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast