• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at NRA Convention

1st freedom

imported post

OC or CC is legal on the fairgrounds complying with KY state laws.The vendors have requested that firearms be concealed while in the Exhibit Hall.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

After I dreary day driving through mostly rain, I arrived safely in Louisville, KY. Along the way, I made the following stops, mostly OC:

*WV Welcome center
*BP station (WV)
*WV rest area
*Pilot travel center (WV)
*KY rest area (CC because it was raining and I had a coat on)
*Pilot travel center (KY, CC again because of the rain)
*KY Fair & Expo Center
*Days Inn

I went straight to the Expo Center, still with my jacket on because of the rain. Since the Convention doesn't officially kick off until tomorrow, there weren't too many people around. I checked in at Member Services, and then went to the Press Room - yep, bloggers are recognized as "Media".
[align=center]
media.jpg

[/align]
I heard an 'official-looking' gentleman telling three people that "OC is allowed, but if it comes out of the holster, they are OUT OF HERE IMMEDIATELY". I inquired who advised him of this because I did prefer to OC and wanted to be sure it was OK. He looked at my media badge and said he couldn't tell me because I was "Press".

I chuckled and said, "Dude, I'm just a blogger". He still wouldn't give me a source, but restated the policy and assured me it was accurate. I peeled off my jacket and spent a little time looking at all the goodies the NRA want me to buy to advertise for them. I then proceeded to the hotel where I continued to OC through the lobby and parking lot without so much as an odd glance. There are other convention goers here too, as I'm sure is the case at most of the hotels in the city this weekend.

After getting to my hotel room, I grabbed a Pepsi cap to put the code in for some "Pepsi points". I couldn't believe what I saw. Check out the top half of the code. I think this one is a keeper.

[align=center]
pepsicap.jpg

[/align]

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Friday's OC log:

Sonic (KY)
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market (KY, basically just a grocery store)
KY Fair & Expo Center (KY)
Islamorada Fish Company Restaurant (IN, in Bass Pro Shops)
Best Buy (IN)

After grabbing some breakfast at Sonic and checking the closest Wal-mart for a regional soda I need to stock up on, it was off to the Expo Center. Traffic was much heavier than yesterday evening, but things went pretty smoothly and I was able to park much closer than I expected. I OC'd all day and passed many different LEO's from various local agencies. Not a peep.

A little before noon, I headed off to the car to disarm so I could clear the Secret Service checkpoint and gain entry to the 'Celebration of American Values Leadership Forum'. I was pleased to learn that my blogger/Media credential included an expedited Security line and special seating inside, including access to the TV platform for photos. Today's speakers included the following people:
  • John Sigler (President, National Rifle Association)
  • Larry Potterfield (President, Midway USA)
  • Chris W. Cox (Executive Director, National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action)
  • Hon. Daniel Mongiardo (Lt.Governor, Commonwealth of Kentucky)
  • Karl Rove (Former Deputy Chief of Staff, President George W. Bush)
  • Lt. Col. Oliver North (Honorary Chairman, Freedom Alliance)
  • Hon. Mike Huckabee (Former Governor, State of Arkansas)
  • Hon. Kay Bailey Hutchison (United States Senator, State of Texas)
  • Hon. John Bolton (Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations)
  • Marcus Luttrell (U.S. Navy SEAL)
  • Hon. Mitt Romney (Former Governor, Commonwealth of Massachusetts)
  • Hon. Dan Boren (United States Representative, State of Oklahoma)
  • Sgt. Greg Stube (U.S. Special Forces)
  • Hon. Mitch McConnell (United States Senator, Commonwealth of Kentucky)
  • Hon. John McCain (United States Senator, State of Arizona)
I particularly enjoyed Oliver North, Marcus Luttrell and Greg Stube the most. More 'real' sentiment and no political BS. I had decided to skip McCain's speech entirely, since he had the arrogance to stomp on our rights. I disarmed because I really wanted to hear the speakers I noted above, but didn't see the point in staying for McCain, since I know I'm not voting for him. It takes some pretty big balls to come to the NRA convention and tout "Federal Regulation of private firearms sales". I wish he would have been 'uninvited'.

Headed over to IN for a blogger mixer and dinner. The food was a bit disappointing. My salmon was good, but the veggies were undercooked and too cool. A tasty bread pudding dessert helped make up for it. I think the staff was slacking since they took an automatic 18% on the group instead of earning their tip. One other upside was that the mixer was 'open bar'.

Made a quick trip into Best Buy so Pro2a could get a charger for his camera (he left his at home), then came back to hit the forums. Saturday I hope to get books signed by Marcus Luttrell and Glen Beck, then we have the Members' Banquet in the evening, with Beck as the keynote speaker.

pkbites

imported post

I arrived in Louisville on Friday afternoon. Not the first time I've been here by a longshot.

Checked into an absolutely beautiful hotel called Candlewood Suites. Just lovely. Brand new building, hardwood floors in the room compliments the FULL kitchen (including built in dishwasher) and big screen t.v. with DVD/VCR and king size bed. $79 a night and it's less than 10 minutes from the Expo Center!

Did not see any signs regarding firearms at the center. Did not see anyone open carrying. I CCW'd at the convention, but OC'd at the Big Boy when I went to eat. No reaction. I actually had a Glock 26 on my left hip, and a Kel-Tec3-ATsticking out of my right pocket. WOW!:what::what::what::what::what::what:No way someone didn't see at least one of them! I didn't actually intend for the Kel-Tec to be sticking out, it just was. My wife made me an excellent pocket/wallet shaped holster that holds the Kel-Tec and an ASP Palm Defender pepper spray all in the same holster. I didn't have it pushed down in my pocket far enough (D'oh!:banghead: ). No freaking way nobody didn't see at least one of my exposed guns. No reaction!

Why oh why can't people in Wussconsin be that accepting?

teknoid

imported post

pkbites wrote:
I arrived in Louisville on Friday afternoon. Not the first time I've been here by a longshot.

Checked into an absolutely beautiful hotel called Candlewood Suites. Just lovely. Brand new building, hardwood floors in the room compliments the FULL kitchen (including built in dishwasher) and big screen t.v. with DVD/VCR and king size bed. $79 a night and it's less than 10 minutes from the Expo Center!

Did not see any signs regarding firearms at the center. Did not see anyone open carrying. I CCW'd at the convention, but OC'd at the Big Boy when I went to eat. No reaction. I actually had a Glock 26 on my left hip, and a Kel-Tec3-ATsticking out of my right pocket. WOW!:what::what::what::what::what::what:No way someone didn't see at least one of them! I didn't actually intend for the Kel-Tec to be sticking out, it just was. My wife made me an excellent pocket/wallet shaped holster that holds the Kel-Tec and an ASP Palm Defender pepper spray all in the same holster. I didn't have it pushed down in my pocket far enough (D'oh!:banghead: ). No freaking way nobody didn't see at least one of my exposed guns. No reaction!

Why oh why can't people in Wussconsin be that accepting?
Kentucky is a great state to live in for a lot of reasons. Among them are the ones that you noticed. Other benefits include not getting buried in snow. I used to live by the IL Wi border. Man, I don't miss that!

Enjoy your time in a FREE state. I'm dreading my trip to Milwaukee next spring for my son's wedding. He's marrying a cheesehead (Packer fan). It's a mixed marriage. He's always been a Bears fanatic. Should be interesting.

templar223

imported post

BB62 wrote:
I was there Saturday, and didn't see anyone else OCing!

DARN was I disappointed!
I've been lurking around here for a couple of years. Met some of the guys from here at the GRPC last year. Thought it more than time to register.

I was at the convention and OCd all day Saturday and Sunday. I would have OC'd Friday too, but I was in "goodie collection" mode and had a vest and a map case to hold stuff.

I saw more OCers than BB62, but not that many. Maybe a dozen total.

Ironically, the only people to stop and ask about it were some guys from Ohio who were at the hotel there where I was eating some breakfast before heading to the hall. There eyes kind of lit up when I told them they could OC without a permit in KY.

They asked why I did it and I told them it was all part of activism and education.

I had zero problems with police & the public.
John