• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at NRA Convention

v8shoguy

imported post

They have gun shows out there. AFAIK they're not posted, was just out there a couple of weekends ago.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Was concealed carry allowed last year in St. Louis (St. Louis and most of the surrounding areas have no OC ordinances) ? The place they held it was posted at one time, but I haven't been there in several years. I found it odd that they chose the absolutely most anti-gun location in Missouri last year after ditching Columbus, OH because of certain firearm bans. The St. Louis metro area is the reason it took 4 years to pass a CCW law and also the reason we still do not have preemption for open carry in the state. It was also a St. Louis metro area state legislator who submitted the bill for microstamping ammo in MO.

I'm just curious to compare the last few years and whether or not our rights are being upheld at NRA national events. I would think that the NRA would be mindful of only choosing location where carry is allowed to hold the conventions. I think KY is a great idea being a gold star carry state (not to mention my personal love for the state).

IanB

imported post

Kentucky

Summary
Kentucky is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is constitutionally protected with court precedent and law enforcement is aware of its legality.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been hoping to get a clear answer to this as well (I'm coming down for the Convention). I know Kentucky is a Gold Star state, but it's not 'the law', or even the NRA I'm concerned about. It's the owners of the Convention Center whose insurance carriers may impose such a limitation.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Since there will be no sales of gun or ammo, I don't see the point for the typical gun show policy of no loaded carry. Do you know this from previous NRA Convention experience, or are you just assuming?

1st freedom

imported post

Carrying at the Annual Meeting is up to the management of the venue where the meeting is held.Insurance policy dictates their decision

At last years meeting atthe Edwards Jones Dome, No firearms. Had the NRA held the meeting at the fairgrounds 20 minutes south, firearms would have been OK,however the fair groundscan accommodate 20,000 people,over 64,000 people attended the meeting. You can see the dilemma.

Now St.Louis has not always been a friend to the 2A, But NRA members made last years meeting the largest convention ever held in that State. Lets hope State officials take notice.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1st freedom wrote:
Now St.Louis has not always been a friend to the 2A,
That's kind of like saying Fetal Alcohol Syndrome hasn't always been a friend to newborns.

State officials are not the issue in St. Louis. St. Louis area officials are the problem in St. Louis. I was frankly amazed that the NRA had a convention in St. Louis, essentially rewarding the most anti-2A area of the state. It took 3 long years to finally get CC passed in MO because of the St. Louis area. Once passed the St. Louis area tried to stop it through the courts by going to anti-2A judges in the St. Louis area which worked for a short time. I hope Louisville is a better venue.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Why CC only? Who owns the building?

So security will ask one to conceal - does one have to comply?

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1st freedom wrote:
I just got the word,,

Concealed carry only in the convention center. BUILDING security will ask you concealif you are OC
The word from who? A friend who is accompanying me to the convention inquired while purchasing event tickets over the phone and was told OC and CC were permitted. And what about those who aren't licensed or their home license isn't recognized?

I plan on carrying as usual (OC) and dealing with any situation as it arises.

teknoid

imported post

According to the Courier Journal writeup on the convention, any carry is fine. Since KY is an open carry state, I don't see how there would/could be an issue. It's not against the law, or the convention center rules, and the NRA is cool with it.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008805030560
<snip>

Parsons added that said she has no idea how many convention-goers will be licensed to carry weapons, or will bring weapons. But, "if law-abiding members want to carry, they can," she said.
Harold Workman, Kentucky State Fair Board president, confirmed that the fairgrounds has "no policy to restrict firearms" carried legally.
<snip>

1st freedom

imported post

gnbrotz wrote:
1st freedom wrote:
I just got the word,,

Concealed carry only in the convention center. BUILDING security will ask you concealif you are OC
The word from who? A friend who is accompanying me to the convention inquired while purchasing event tickets over the phone and was told OC and CC were permitted. And what about those who aren't licensed or their home license isn't recognized?

I plan on carrying as usual (OC) and dealing with any situation as it arises.
Maj. James Land, I would consider him credible source.

I believe it was at the request of the vendors. They don't want anybody walking off with a "new replacement" in their holster.If you are planing on OC I might suggest clothing with an option to switch to CC.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1st freedom wrote
Maj. James Land, I would consider him credible source.

I believe it was at the request of the vendors. They don't want anybody walking off with a "new replacement" in their holster.If you are planing on OC I might suggest clothing with an option to switch to CC.
This would sure seem like a strange reason. If I were personally going to attempt such an act, I'd be sure to have my rig concealed, to avoid as much scrutiny as possible. Furthermore, I'd wager that a large percentage of carry pieces are a model that won't even be present on the show floor. My own is over 10 years old and the exact model isn't even in production any more.

I understand there are certain reasons (such as venue insurance, etc.) that prohibit carry in some places, but if the reason for such limits is imposed by someone the NRA organizers have control over, and they allow such limits, I will be HIGHLY pissed.