• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camping Out to See SCOTUS Live. Ari Kaplan, ABA Journal.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.abajournal.com/news/camping_out_to_see_scotus_live/

Here’s some advice: If you are ever going to camp outside the U.S. Supreme Court to hear oral arguments in a high-profile case, as I did along with 100 or so others yesterday, wear two (or three) pairs of socks. Also, wear a suit, especially if you are lucky enough to have a press pass.
I did neither, which only added to my adventurous and exhausting 12-hour whirlwind tour of the court to hear Boumediene v. Bush and Al Odah v. United States, which were consolidated. I arrived at the steps of the grand courthouse at 2 a.m. to experience the pre-rock concert-like atmosphere with 52 others on the line seeking a coveted seat in the public viewing gallery.
I brought my tripod and video camera to collect documentary footage. Then I started interviewing those shuttling between sleeping bags and conversations that can only take place at the base of some of the world’s most famous steps in the middle of a deceivingly clear 20-degree night.
After a few conversations, what I found was that the maligned generation of millennials that has been written off as disaffected and self-absorbed is actually quite inspiring, if given the chance. There was a contingent of students from the University of Texas School of Law who flew to Washington from Austin with tickets purchased by their National Security & Human Rights Clinic, one of the law school clinics that represents Guantanamo Bay detainees. There was a group of George Washington University freshmen on line for the second time in a few weeks, motivated by their writing instructor. And, then there were the two German law students spending the semester at Georgetown, the Allen & Overy associates who flew down from New York, the pair of Yale law students, the high school teacher, the duo from SUNY New Paltz and a former JAG officer who flew in from Germany to hear the arguments.
“At a certain point, you get to know how the world works or how it is working right now for better or worse, but I hope it can be better,” says New Paltz senior Joshua Simons.
More>>> http://www.abajournal.com/news/camping_out_to_see_scotus_live/

imperialism2024

imported post

...then three stretch limos roll up to the red carpet, and the justices step out, each one with a supermodel on his/her arm, as the law students run up screaming for autographs and flashing the cameras...

:celebrate

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I stopped by this evening to chat with some of our folks on line tonight. I wish I could have stayed longer but work beckons in the morning. There weren't many overt gunnies that I could tell, and fewer antis.