• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non-res ccw permit

Clover

imported post

Hey all...new here; just been browsing around and this looks like a pretty cool board!

i'm from VA, and i'm under 21 by a scant year and a half, so unfortunately i can't get my ccw, and i'm too chicken to open carry...yet.

so, i discovered that VA honors idaho's non-res permits, but that idaho requires a visit when you apply for one. anyone know if the visit is always required, or if it's just prefered? shellin out five hundred bucks for a plane ticket is kind of hard for a poor student, if ya know what i mean!

thanks!

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Clover wrote:
Hey all...new here; just been browsing around and this looks like a pretty cool board!

i'm from VA, and i'm under 21 by a scant year and a half, so unfortunately i can't get my ccw, and i'm too chicken to open carry...yet.

so, i discovered that VA honors idaho's non-res permits, but that idaho requires a visit when you apply for one. anyone know if the visit is always required, or if it's just prefered? shellin out five hundred bucks for a plane ticket is kind of hard for a poor student, if ya know what i mean!

thanks!
I believe you have several problems.

First, Virginia does not honor Idaho's permits. See the Virginia State Police reciprocity/recognition site.

Second, Va. Code § 18.2-308(P), Virginia's reciprocity/recognition law, denies recognition to permits held by individuals under 21 years old.

Third, Idaho is may-issue for 18-to-20-year-olds, meaning your chances of getting an Idaho permit are probably low. See Idaho Code § 18-3302(1)(l) & (11).

I sympathize with your situation, but the only advice I can give you is to consider OC for now and then get your VA CHP as soon as you turn 21.

Clover

imported post

Oh, okay. looks like my info on idaho was outdated. thanks anyways!

about va's recognizing of under 21 permits, i was confused by the sentence here, in bold. what does it mean?

VA Code 18.2-203 wrote:
P. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this section. The Superintendent of State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this section, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes. The Superintendent of the State Police, in consultation with the Attorney General, may also enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with any state qualifying for recognition under this subsection.
and fyi, I got my info on va's supposed reciprocity with ID from http://www.carryconcealed.net, so anyone else who uses that, just be aware that it might not be accurate.