Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun purchase in Idaho

Post imported post

I didn't know which forum to put this in, since it involves WA and ID, but since Pullman has no gun stores, I was just wondering what the procedure was for buying a gun from a store in Idaho, since I am a Washington resident.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Long arm or handgun? You should be able to purchase a long arm. Otherwise you will need to have the handgun shipped to an FFL dealer in Washington, unless it is a Curio and Relic gun and you have a C&R FFL.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Long arm or handgun? You should be able to purchase a long arm. Otherwise you will need to have the handgun shipped to an FFL dealer in Washington, unless it is a Curio and Relic gun and you have a C&R FFL.
    I think a long gun requires the shipping to an FFL here in Washington too.

Post imported post

You can buy a long gun in a state that "adjoins" with your state. You cannot do the same with a handgun unless you have it shipped to a FFL. I was gonna buy a long gun in Idaho today but decided to just go buy it in Washington.

State Researcher

Post imported post

It has been sometime since I bought a longgun out of state (about 8 years) but I bought a rifle in Colorado, and one in Texas back in 2000-2001 with Washington ID.

Things could have changed though...

Post imported post

Post imported post

I was planning on getting a long gun, and if they had any screaming deals on handguns I'd get one, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. I'm hoping whoever is working at the store(s) I go to knows the drill.

Post imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
    I was planning on getting a long gun, and if they had any screaming deals on handguns I'd get one, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. I'm hoping whoever is working at the store(s) I go to knows the drill.
    Why then at the Portland gun show the dealer wouldn't sell to my buddy a long gun?

Post imported post

I dunno. Maybe he didn't know what he was doing. I just bought 2 carbines from ID today, a Hi-Point 995 and a Steyr M95.

Post imported post

If you need someone with an FFL let me know and I can give you the name of one in Colfax. Last I heard, Tri state will not even bother selling a pistol to an out of state.

Post imported post

One of the dudes at a gun store in Moscow mentioned a FFL in Colfax. Is it an individual, or a gun shop?

Post imported post

Individual. He is also a gun smith.I believe his transfer fee is 30.

Post imported post

Good to know. But he doesn't sell anything besides his service?

Post imported post

northwest collector arms in Spokane is a nice gun shop, and the folks there are awesome. They only charge $20.

Post imported post

I really need to go to Spokane and tour the gun stores at some point, haha..

Post imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
    if your ever I'm town pm me and we can OC around town and shop. Or you could come up for the next lunch!!

Post imported post

Will do, but I'll have to CC since I don't have an OC holster. LOL

When's the next lunch?

surfj9009 wrote:
    Dr. Fresh wrote:
    if your ever I'm town pm me and we can OC around town and shop. Or you could come up for the next lunch!!

Post imported post

There is no contiguous state requirement for long guns anymore. The federal law mandating this was repealed long ago. Most states have removed the boilerplate formerly required by the feds from their statutes (e.g. Washington). In those where the language is still there (e.g. Idaho), it is of no effect. A state would have to have a law stating that "no non-resident, except one of a contiguous state may purchase......" for this to be an issue.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

apjonas wrote:
    There is no contiguous state requirement for long guns anymore. The federal law mandating this was repealed long ago. Most states have removed the boilerplate formerly required by the feds from their statutes (e.g. Washington). In those where the language is still there (e.g. Idaho), it is of no effect. A state would have to have a law stating that "no non-resident, except one of a contiguous state may purchase......" for this to be an issue.
    Exactly! So all you activists out there need to scrub your state's laws and see if any vestigial state citizenship discrimination is still in state code on long gun sales - if there is, time to sue these states alleging the regulation is an unconstitutional under the privileges and immunities clause.

I'm pondering how to take on the federally imposed state citizenship discrimination - anybody have an idea on this? This discrimination takes 2 forms: (1) Ban on transfer of handguns between citizens of different states, and (2) a requirement that gun dealers apply out of statedisabilities when transfering long guns to citizens of other states.

Post imported post

Does anybody know (with reasonable certainty) how an interstate via FFL transfer takes place? Not the paperwork steps but who is selling to whom. Is -

(A) State A FFL selling to State B Resident with only delivery being arranged through State B FFL (for a fee)?

-or-

(B) State A FFL selling to State B FFL, who then sells to State B Resident?

Based upon the following, I would guess (B).

18 USC 922(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who thelicensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition isother than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

(2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be inviolation of any State law or any published ordinance applicableat the place of sale, delivery or other disposition, unless thelicensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe that thepurchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance;

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the personis a corporation or other business entity, does not maintaina place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall notapply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to aresident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in personwith the eror to accomplish the transfer, and the sale,delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions ofsale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph,in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of bothStates), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of afirearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Post imported post

apjonas wrote:
    Does anybody know (with reasonable certainty) how an interstate via FFL transfer takes place? Not the paperwork steps but who is selling to whom. Is -

(A) State A FFL selling to State B Resident with only delivery being arranged through State B FFL (for a fee)?

-or-

(B) State A FFL selling to State B FFL, who then sells to State B Resident?

Based upon the following, I would guess (B).

18 USC 922(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who thelicensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition isother than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

(2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be inviolation of any State law or any published ordinance applicableat the place of sale, delivery or other disposition, unless thelicensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe that thepurchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance;

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the personis a corporation or other business entity, does not maintaina place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall notapply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to aresident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in personwith the eror to accomplish the transfer, and the sale,delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions ofsale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph,in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of bothStates), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of afirearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

When I do my purchases from out of state dealers I am making payment directly to the out of state dealer and the pistol is only delivered to me by my resident dealer. So Option A would be how I have done mine and not B.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

When we do these out of state purchases, the buyer has paid for the firearm before it is shipped to us. When it arrives, we as an FFL dealer have to log it into our inventory as a received firearm. When the customer picks up the gun, we are required to do the 4473 before we can log it out of our inventory.

Post imported post

If your ever by chance in the Clarkston/Lewiston area, there's two here in Clarkston now; Sids Pawn and Schurmann's True Value. Both I believe are $25.

Post imported post

Mike or apjonas, so when was federal contiguous-state requirement repealed? You still see it cited all the time...

Post imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
    Good to know. But he doesn't sell anything besides his service?
    Just the service last I heard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast