• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun purchase in Idaho

joeroket

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Does anybody know (with reasonable certainty) how an interstate via FFL transfer takes place? Not the paperwork steps but who is selling to whom. Is -

(A) State A FFL selling to State B Resident with only delivery being arranged through State B FFL (for a fee)?

-or-

(B) State A FFL selling to State B FFL, who then sells to State B Resident?

Based upon the following, I would guess (B).

18 USC 922(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who thelicensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition isother than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

(2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be inviolation of any State law or any published ordinance applicableat the place of sale, delivery or other disposition, unless thelicensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe that thepurchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance;

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the personis a corporation or other business entity, does not maintaina place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall notapply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to aresident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in personwith the eror to accomplish the transfer, and the sale,delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions ofsale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph,in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of bothStates), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of afirearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

When I do my purchases from out of state dealers I am making payment directly to the out of state dealer and the pistol is only delivered to me by my resident dealer. So Option A would be how I have done mine and not B.

Trigger Dr

imported post

When we do these out of state purchases, the buyer has paid for the firearm before it is shipped to us. When it arrives, we as an FFL dealer have to log it into our inventory as a received firearm. When the customer picks up the gun, we are required to do the 4473 before we can log it out of our inventory.

apjonas

imported post

I'm thinking 1986 but am not sure. I can say with certainty no later than 1992. Research the history of 18 USC 922(b)(3) for an exact answer. Where are you seeing these citations? Perhaps you are looking at a state statute?

kparker wrote:
Mike or apjonas, so when was federal contiguous-state requirement repealed? You still see it cited all the time...

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Wooohoooo go Idaho! Today I bought a Chinese SKS at Moscow Pawn. It goes nicely with my Mosin Nagant.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Mine is Chinese, but I dunno what brand. On the left side of the reciever is says "made in China by CGA" or maybe it's CSA. Dunno what that is. It's in pretty good shape though.

lilothedog wrote:
Nice! Have a vintage Norinco myself. Gotta love the SKS.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Mine is Chinese, but I dunno what brand. On the left side of the reciever is says "made in China by CGA" or maybe it's CSA. Dunno what that is. It's in pretty good shape though.

lilothedog wrote:
Nice! Have a vintage Norinco myself. Gotta love the SKS.
You want nice, you should see myRussian SKS, original Tula manufacture, refurbished and still NIB from the armory. I paid $59 for it way back when all SKSs were dirt cheap. I bought 3 and sold one for $450, 2 years ago andanother is going to a friend for $275.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Awesome! Unfortunately I was way underage when SKSs were that cheap. *cries*