• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rest Stop OC?

MovinFromMD

imported post

Tomorrow is my big break out from Maryland. Want to clarify the laws around carrying at rest stops. Read laws and some stories and I am confused.

jack

Banned
imported post

Carrying at rest stops is legal in NC & Virginia. I travel between Northern va & Raleigh monthly and have only had a problem at a rest stop once. While sleeping at a Virginia rest stop two State troopers woke me up because they saw my firearm (They were walking around and peaking in on people sleeping, great way to get killed). This idiot trooper LL parker (a real bitch)ordered me out ofmy mini-vanand asked if my weapon was registered to me and if I had a permit. She obviously just didn't know they law or was attempting to mislead me, as she became irate when I responded. " no permit is required for open carry and there is no such thing as gun registration in Virginia". She then said Don'tget smart with me and I burst out laughing at that. Additionally The US Supreme Court ruled in Florida v. JL case # 98-1993 (2000) that simply carrying a firearm or a report that a person is carrying a firearm doesn't in and of itself establish Reasonable Articulable Suspicionrequired for the policeto detain a person.

So are you moving to NC ?

jack

Banned
imported post

I think you would be ok at rest stops regardless if the police have a station there. North Carolina law specifically says rest stops are not prohibited places. Walking into the State police office would be illegal, but the rest stop itself ? I doubt it would be a problem. The State police in NC are extraordinarily positive on citizens carrying firearms from my experience.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

jack wrote:
I think you would be ok at rest stops regardless if the police have a station there. North Carolina law specifically says rest stops are not prohibited places. Walking into the State police office would be illegal, but the rest stop itself ? I doubt it would be a problem. The State police in NC are extraordinarily positive on citizens carrying firearms from my experience.
I agree with your last point.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
jack wrote:
I agree with your last point.
+2. The NC State Highway Patrol are the most respectable and courteous law enforcement officers I have ever dealt with.

MovinFromMD

imported post

Thanks for all the advice. Move was completed with no complications and no OC stories for NC. Just don't want to have something stupid happen before I have even reported in to my new unit. Anyone think I should ask for information from the local States Attorney on OC in order to cover my own ass or just OC and see how police react?

jack

Banned
imported post

The other night in a steak n shake there were several of us open carrying. Several Raleigh Police officers came in and said absolutely nothing. Despite what some have said about Open carrying in Cary, I have had no problem there either.

Open carry is not going about armed to the terror of the public as some claim. I don't see you having a problem in NC at all. I would avoid carrying on the Indian reservation and VERY careful about crossing into South Carolina if open carrying. You need a permit and MUST conceal there. Welcome to a wonderful State.