• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.308 Vs 30-06

UTOC-45-44

imported post

what would be your choice ? I have asked around and been asked what is my purpose ?

What is your opinion between the 2.

I would like it for fun "sniper" shooting but also hunting purposes. If I want recoil I got a shotgun. I would like it to be a pleasure to use the rifle. There is a Remington 788 .308 with a with a Redfield 3x9 scope and a leather strap for $350. Is that a "good" deal? There is a Browning 30-06 for $300 too, What do you think ?

Please respond ASAP please.

TJ

Flintlock

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
what would be your choice ? I have asked around and been asked what is my purpose ?

What is your opinion between the 2.

I would like it for fun "sniper" shooting but also hunting purposes. If I want recoil I got a shotgun. I would like it to be a pleasure to use the rifle. There is a Remington 788 .308 with a with a Redfield 3x9 scope and a leather strap for $350. Is that a "good" deal? There is a Browning 30-06 for $300 too, What do you think ?

Please respond ASAP please.

TJ

Both rifles would do well for youas they are perfectly suitable for all North American game outside of the big bears. The 30-06 is the most commonly used caliber in America today and is a flat-shooting beauty. There is a vast array of bullet weights and factoryloads to choose from, which makes it all the more versatile...

Having said all that, I am a big fan of the Remington model 788. What an awesome rifle, one of the most accurate I have ever owned and the .308 caliber is even more flat-shooting than the former.I would normallyrecommend to you the 30-06 as it will offer you an extra 100-250 FPS in speed and more FT pounds of energy and alsoat greater distances.But in this case I would have to lean toward recommending the 788 just because of my personal bias forthat rifle.

One more thing, I am not a fan of Redfield scopes... I would say itis a good deal though.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The logic that I was taught is, 'buy the best glass that you can afford and the rifle with what ever is left over.' The 'scope on my .17 Remington cost half again as much as the rifle, IIRC ~$2K in 1970 for the rig.

Between the calibers, I would go with the one with more, and more recent, development. I gave the .17 up when it devolved from 5050 fps to 4500 fps.

Sa45auto

imported post

I don't know the two rifles in question. You have to decide that yourself.

In my estimation the 30-06 is the best all around cartridge ever made.

I am not alone in that estimation as it was voted the best rifle cartridge of the 20th Century.

It is the one cartridge that all the new ones are compared to, but which they never beat.

It is the cartridge you can always find and always does the job.

The .308 is a fine cartridge. It compares favorably with the '06.

You get to chose.

combatcarry

imported post

I actually chose the 7mm Rem Mag... It shoots a little flatter than that .308 and 30-06.

If I had to choose between the .308 and the .30-06 I'd choose the .30-06.

Legba

imported post

I'm in the .30-06 camp, but those both sound like good deals.

-ljp

Marco

imported post

I've always preferred the .30-06.
I might be because myfirst rifle (Springfield 03-A3)was chambered for it.
The .308 will offer you more options as far as match grade ammo, surplus is still pretty easily found and the felt recoil is reduced.

But here are some ballistic charts to help you decide.
http://preview.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/308_winchester.html

http://preview.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/30_06.html

As for other rifles calibers my experience is limited to .223(5.56Nato) .338 Win Mag, .270, 45-70 and 375 H&H.
http://preview.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/

I'm not familiar with the Rem 788 and you didn't state what Browning rifle.
I have/had rifles from both manufactures with no complaints.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/popup_player.html

Legba

imported post

It's what people with pistols will wish they had when the Great Collapse hits (which could be any time now, considering how the markets are going). ;-/

-ljp

Sa45auto

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
What's a rifle?

Legba wrote:
It's what people with pistols will wish they had when the Great Collapse hits (which could be any time now, considering how the markets are going). ;-/

-ljp

That is Classic.

It would be hilariously funny, if it weren't so true.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

You mean kinda like that AR thing sitting under my bed? No, I'm sorry... That's an assault weapon.;)

To add something after taking so much away: I'm partial to the 308 given that M14's are chambered in this round. It has proven itself on the battlefield very well, it has low recoil, and it is very abundant. I know 30-06 is more prevalent, but it also has more recoil which affect the time it takes to return to POA.

Sa45auto

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
You promised you wouldn't tell anyone what you found under my bed :cuss:!
Sorry UTOC-45-44, but this thread has been officially HIJACKED!

gator

imported post

I have and love both. At those prices I would buy both of them, however if I chose just one today it would be the .06 if for no other reason than ammo prices.

Sa45auto

imported post

Of course what does he expect when he asks a caliber question on a gun forum. :lol:

Michigander

imported post

The .308 is an outstanding choice for a battle rifle. You can use it to reach out and briskly kill someone at 400 yards. On the other hand, for a scoped bolt gun, between those 2 calibers, I'd presently take the 06 and buy as much surplus ammo as I could afford. It's somewhat more accurate and powerful at longer ranges, and the ammo is cheaper to really stock up on.

As for the guns themselves, I'm more of an EBR guy, so I can't help you with that.:?

As a side note, you can still sporterise a Mosin Nagant and buy a lot of ammo for a lot less than it would cost with an american rifle in an american caliber. If I were going to get a bolt gun, that is what I would do at this point.