• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non Res CCW

irish_ironsight

Formerly of Ireland, now Martinsburg, WV, West Vir
imported post

Hello and a Happy Saint Patricks day to you today March 17th,

Now this may be the wrong place to be asking this but, if the State of Idaho is willing to issue a Non resident Concealed Weapons Permit, is this available to Non National's ? and if so, how can I get my hand's on the application pack ?

I'd appreciate your answers.

Gunslinger

imported post

Most states require US citizenship for any permit, including non-res. I know you could apply through the State Department if you had diplomatic standing. Failing that, I doubt you qualify. But happy Saint Patty's anyway! :celebrate

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

By the reading of 18-3302 of Idaho code (which pertains to CWP application - http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newidst?sctid=180330002.K ) it seems you would indeed be qualified. But I suppose it probably is a grey area. The specific potentially grey area would be:
"who is not disqualified from possessing or receiving a firearm under state or federal law" (this from the first sentence of 18-3302)
Now, since you are not an American Citizen, nor a permanent resident you are disqualified.
BUT
If you have your proper paper from the DOS or DOJ or whoever issues such papers, then you would be qualified according to the terms of the license/permit they issue. Hm.

I guess all you have to loose is a couple bucks by applying, no? Then again, those nasty lawyers do earn a living somehow.

HAPPY ST. PATTY's DAY!!!! (why am I saying that?:shock: my ancestors were Scottish!) j/k

bourneshooter

imported post

Happy St. Pattys day from one Irish gun ownwer to another!

My OC apperal today is my St. Pattys T-shirt with the saying, "Smart, Good Looking, and Irish. WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR!"

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

I would just apply.
If you have the ATF form in hand, then you are allowed to possess a firearm in the USA. You might call in advance to the Sheriff you're applying with and inform him of that and maybe include a copy of your paperwork with the app.
Good luck!

Gunslinger

imported post

Importing for sporting use and getting a concealed carry permit are worlds apart. I would say you have no chance, but as another poster said, you can try. Outside of diplomatic channels, or military allies/spooks, or body guards, I've never heard of a foreign national being allowed to carry concealed. Definitely let us know how it goes, though. Calling the BATF directly would be your best bet.

charliecrusader

imported post

IIRC you are theoretically able to get a Washington CPL which is good in Idaho. I think Canadians have been able to get them in years past. The hang up right now is that they aren't issuing Alien Firearms Licences because of some background check SNAFU. You have to have that to have the firearm :banghead: One more angle to try.

irish_ironsight

Formerly of Ireland, now Martinsburg, WV, West Vir
imported post

Not going to name anyone, BUT ~ I was in contact with a Sheriffs office in West Virginia and in Washington and Idaho.

As Im coming to the USA for a LEo thing I asked they what the deal was, they told me to just go ahead and carry, i wouldnt have any trouble from them :what:

It was funny to say the least...... I think I'll wait untill they put it on paper ..

bourneshooter

imported post

Irish Ironsight, do pm me if you are going to be in SouthWest Idaho - boise/nampa area. I'd like to get together with you.