• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Comments on OC

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Someone who claims to be an LEO in Michigan has posted this on Michigan Gun Owners Forums.
“We had a guy at Costco who was carrying concealed (with CPL) getting out of his car and the wind blew his coat/ shirt up exposing the gun on his belt. Some anti-gun idiot called screaming bloody murder cause someone had a gun "OMG we're all gonna die!!!"... I made sure I was the first one there and approached the guy in the store as I wasn't sure what the rest of the morons I was working with that day would have done. I simply asked him if he had a gun, he said yes, then I asked to see his CPL, he provided such and all was good in the hood. I explained to him someone saw that he had a gun on him in the lot and called police. For reasons such as this, carry the damn thing CONCEALED!!! Don't let any of it show. It wasn't this guy's fault, just wrong idiot saw him getting outta his car. I made sure I was there first so none of the morons I work with woulda thrown him against the wall etc. based on our call (it happens, sure some of you have first hand knowledge).

Open carry.... There is no actual law stating that you cannot open carry a handgun. Best I know laws concerning carry of handguns pertain to concealment (I thing DNR laws specify open and concealed). I can guarentee you get arrested walking around in SE Michigan open carrying a handgun on your belt, especially without CPL. The state may not have a specific law, but there are alot of catch-all laws and ordinances that would apply (we'd use possession of a dangerous weapon or similar). Of course alot would be open to interpretation at the court level. But you'd still get legally arrested, gun seized as evidence, attorney costs, etc. It isn't worth it, especially if you loose.

I know there are some who will argue the open carry topic... You will only hurt the gun rights cause via public opinion and possible unfavorable court rulings.”
Thought you people might like to know as it might be a good opportunity to interact and educate someone in LE.

Please cut and past the link. Thanks.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=231744#post231744
Can you provide the topic thread it is under? I can't seem to find the particular thread you reference.

ghostrider

imported post

Venator wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
Someone who claims to be an LEO in Michigan has posted this on Michigan Gun Owners Forums.
“We had a guy at Costco who was carrying concealed (with CPL) getting out of his car and the wind blew his coat/ shirt up exposing the gun on his belt. Some anti-gun idiot called screaming bloody murder cause someone had a gun "OMG we're all gonna die!!!"... I made sure I was the first one there and approached the guy in the store as I wasn't sure what the rest of the morons I was working with that day would have done. I simply asked him if he had a gun, he said yes, then I asked to see his CPL, he provided such and all was good in the hood. I explained to him someone saw that he had a gun on him in the lot and called police. For reasons such as this, carry the damn thing CONCEALED!!! Don't let any of it show. It wasn't this guy's fault, just wrong idiot saw him getting outta his car. I made sure I was there first so none of the morons I work with woulda thrown him against the wall etc. based on our call (it happens, sure some of you have first hand knowledge).

Open carry.... There is no actual law stating that you cannot open carry a handgun. Best I know laws concerning carry of handguns pertain to concealment (I thing DNR laws specify open and concealed). I can guarentee you get arrested walking around in SE Michigan open carrying a handgun on your belt, especially without CPL. The state may not have a specific law, but there are alot of catch-all laws and ordinances that would apply (we'd use possession of a dangerous weapon or similar). Of course alot would be open to interpretation at the court level. But you'd still get legally arrested, gun seized as evidence, attorney costs, etc. It isn't worth it, especially if you loose.

I know there are some who will argue the open carry topic... You will only hurt the gun rights cause via public opinion and possible unfavorable court rulings.”
Thought you people might like to know as it might be a good opportunity to interact and educate someone in LE.

Please cut and past the link. Thanks.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=231744#post231744
Can you provide the topic thread it is under? I can't seem to find the particular thread you reference.
If you do go read the thread, keep in mind that that paticular LEO did check with a city prosecutor, and has pretty much had a change in viewpoint. The thread itself has drifted OT at this point since the issue had been resolved. It would be best to read the whole thread before passing any judgement.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
If you do go read the thread, keep in mind that that paticular LEO did check with a city prosecutor, and has pretty much had a change in viewpoint. The thread itself has drifted OT at this point since the issue had been resolved. It would be best to read the whole thread before passing any judgement.

I did read it alland just added a bit more info for anyone to read.