• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Comments on OC

ghostrider

imported post

Someone who claims to be an LEO in Michigan has posted this on Michigan Gun Owners Forums.
“We had a guy at Costco who was carrying concealed (with CPL) getting out of his car and the wind blew his coat/ shirt up exposing the gun on his belt. Some anti-gun idiot called screaming bloody murder cause someone had a gun "OMG we're all gonna die!!!"... I made sure I was the first one there and approached the guy in the store as I wasn't sure what the rest of the morons I was working with that day would have done. I simply asked him if he had a gun, he said yes, then I asked to see his CPL, he provided such and all was good in the hood. I explained to him someone saw that he had a gun on him in the lot and called police. For reasons such as this, carry the damn thing CONCEALED!!! Don't let any of it show. It wasn't this guy's fault, just wrong idiot saw him getting outta his car. I made sure I was there first so none of the morons I work with woulda thrown him against the wall etc. based on our call (it happens, sure some of you have first hand knowledge).

Open carry.... There is no actual law stating that you cannot open carry a handgun. Best I know laws concerning carry of handguns pertain to concealment (I thing DNR laws specify open and concealed). I can guarentee you get arrested walking around in SE Michigan open carrying a handgun on your belt, especially without CPL. The state may not have a specific law, but there are alot of catch-all laws and ordinances that would apply (we'd use possession of a dangerous weapon or similar). Of course alot would be open to interpretation at the court level. But you'd still get legally arrested, gun seized as evidence, attorney costs, etc. It isn't worth it, especially if you loose.

I know there are some who will argue the open carry topic... You will only hurt the gun rights cause via public opinion and possible unfavorable court rulings.”
Thought you people might like to know as it might be a good opportunity to interact and educate someone in LE.

Please cut and past the link. Thanks.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=231744#post231744

Michigander

imported post

Link doesn't work without being registered, and frankly, I have no interest in joining.

That's ironic about his guarantee since I heard the same thing from a cop I talked to, as have many here, yet the cops never seem to actually do anything. When you do the dictionary definition of brandishing, you get people upset, and the police go nuts. When you walk around as you always do, acting very calm and very polite, but with a gun on your hip, those that even notice barely seem to mind. It's a simple fact we have proven.

Anyhow, you should show him this picture.:p

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/Michiganderbiker/OCDOpic.jpg

Michigander

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Michigan gun owners is a cool website with a bunch of great guys.

Please don't condemn the whole site because of one or a few.

I'm sure they are, and I am not bashing them. I am simply stating that they don't support OC, rather just rights for the licensed, and that is why I am not a member of that group.

Nothing against that organization, but they are not my "cup of tea."

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Michigander wrote:
dougwg wrote:

snip...I am simply stating that they don't support OC, rather just rights for the licensed, and that is why I am not a member of that group...snip
Thats not true at all.

They even have a banner ad for opencarry.org/.com in their ad rotation at the top of the forums. (upper right) ;)

Michigander

imported post

WOOPS!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

My bad. I was getting confused with MCRGO!!!

Sorry.

I'd join up and post there, but I'm busy with other forums, and my days in Michigan are almost over.

ghostrider

imported post

I’m pleased to report (as some of you already know) that this particular officer checked with the city attorney, and has stated the legality of OC. I think his attitude about arresting someone solely for OC has definitely been changed. Thanks to all the OCDO members who had a part in this. I think it’s only fair to mention that the officer himself does deserve some commendation for the fact that, even though he was getting some harsh (not exactly undeserved) criticism, he came back and accounted for his transgressions, and followed through to get an opinion by someone who may in some future be responsible for bringing charges.

I think we accomplished some education here.

harley2003rkc

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
I’m pleased to report (as some of you already know) that this particular officer checked with the city attorney, and has stated the legality of OC. I think his attitude about arresting someone solely for OC has definitely been changed. Thanks to all the OCDO members who had a part in this. I think it’s only fair to mention that the officer himself does deserve some commendation for the fact that, even though he was getting some harsh (not exactly undeserved) criticism, he came back and accounted for his transgressions, and followed through to get an opinion by someone who may in some future be responsible for bringing charges.

I think we accomplished some education here.

Mission Accomplished :celebrate

One down, ?,???,??? to go

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

dougwg wrote:
Michigander wrote:
dougwg wrote:

snip...I am simply stating that they don't support OC, rather just rights for the licensed, and that is why I am not a member of that group...snip
Thats not true at all.

They even have a banner ad for opencarry.org/.com in their ad rotation at the top of the forums. (upper right) ;)

And they provide that FREE OF CHARGE! They are fellow gun owners and deserve our support.

Our goal should be to gently change hearts and minds about open carry. :D

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

jpierce wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Michigander wrote:
dougwg wrote:

Thats not true at all.

And they provide that FREE OF CHARGE! They are fellow gun owners and deserve our support.

Our goal should be to gently change hearts and minds about open carry. :D

Hey J,

How do you think I'm doing in that thread on arfcom?

Also, um...is there a way to donate funds to OCDO?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

dougwg wrote:
Hey J,

How do you think I'm doing in that thread on arfcom?

Also, um...is there a way to donate funds to OCDO?
Doug,

I think you are doing great over on arfcom. Your method of calm presentation matches my own and I feel it is by far the best way to present an idea to people who we want ultimately to come over to our point of view.

It may not be today or even tomorrow but by keeping it professional and friendly (even when they ratchet up the rhetoric) you portray OCers in a positive light.

As for your second question, a lot of people have been asking that so I have added a PayPal Donation button to the main page and to the header and footer of the forum.

We are not asking for money or in danger of losing the forum or anything else that other sites say to generate revenue. Mike and I have always supported the site out of our own pockets because we are true believers and are dedicated to the cause and we are more than willing to continue doing so.

However, having said that, I wouldn't say no to any donations that anyone would care to make. You may rest assured that your donations (any amount is welcome ... I think PayPal requires at least $1) will be used to pay the monthly hosting fees for the site and the forum.

Thanks for asking and thanks for being part of the struggle to protect our rights!

John

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow. Not getting into any cross forum bashing, that's a good forum, but those ridiculous hypotheticals one after the other sound so childish, it's like arguing with a 3rd grader! "But, but what if this happens?Oh yeah? Well Mr. Smarty pants, what about This? Yeah, but what about THIS? Oh, well I just don't like it and it's wrong because I think so!"

:banghead:

It'salmost as if they're grasping at justifying their own fears, trying to convince themselves. I'm not sure if people like that should bemore pitied or more feared. If CC were such a deterrent, why is there still crime in states with Right to Carry? OC definitely isa deterrent, period.

Doug, you're doing great, but they're still asking "WHY OC?".

Maybe this will help:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=8794&forum_id=6&jump_to=141003#p141003

and this:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=8328&forum_id=7&jump_to=134362#p134362

or even this:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=8336&forum_id=26&jump_to=134081#p134081

Here's a classic I enjoy:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/3753.html

And the whole darn "Why Open Carry?" Forum for that matter!
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/

Then invite them over to read for themselves!

harley2003rkc

imported post

Doug keep your head up. We're doing just fine over there. When I started that thread I never dreamed it would turn into the preschool argument it did. They can call me what ever they want as long as they don't call me defenseless. :D