• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Car Carry

gotarheels03

imported post

I don't think we ever resolved this question.

A holstered gun sitting in plain view in the center cup holder area, on the dashboard, or passenger seat is NOT legal open carry? To be legal it must be unholstered? That just seems moronic to me.:banghead:

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

gotarheels03 wrote:
I don't think we ever resolved this question.

A holstered gun sitting in plain view in the center cup holder area, on the dashboard, or passenger seat is NOT legal open carry? To be legal it must be unholstered? That just seems moronic to me.:banghead:
I believe it can be holstered -- as long as it's in plain view of an officer, so on the seat or on the dash.

IANAL. :)

ijusam

imported post

I tend to agree with Wynder on this. Concealed is defined, but as open carry is legal due to the absence of a law making it illegal, there is no definition of "open" defined. to take the strictest definition, while being the safest,can be too extreme. Take Mississippi IIRC where partly concealed is illegal and they have distorted reason so much that a holstered gun is "Concealed" when worn openly on your hip. Following this reasoning a little further you could see how holding a gun would partly conceal the gun with your hand; thusly walking down the street randomly firing your gun would result in a concealed gun charge. Among other charges.

That being said, I used (as a reasonably prudent person) the definitions that seem to be the most normal by the states that define open carry.

IMO open carry iswhere it is plainly seen and not of a nature to disguise its appearance.

On the dashboard, or the seat, the top of my thigh, holstered or not, as long as it is readily seen and easily discernable as a handgun.

To that end, I kept a piece of white material on my passenger seat so my evil black gun would not be overlooked (disguised)on the black seat. I also determined to turn on the dome light (if stopped) so it illuminated the gun. of course now that I have my CCDW I don't worry about it

astro_wanabe

imported post

I believe someone else mentioned buckling the passenger seat belt and attaching the holster to the belt. How about instead you just attach the holster to your own seat belt at about chest height, pointed at a 45 degree downward angle towards the left dor panel? Any LEO looking at you would instantly see a gun strapped to your chest.

Or would the risks of the airbag deploying and:

A. the severe impact causing all safeties to fail & the firearm to discharge in the general direction of your left arm / thigh

B. the severe impact of the bag on the firearm causing aditional trauma to your ribs (sort of like how you aren't supposed to CC at 6 o'clock due to possible spinal injury)

be too great to do so?

stephpd

imported post

astro_wanabe wrote:
I believe someone else mentioned buckling the passenger seat belt and attaching the holster to the belt. How about instead you just attach the holster to your own seat belt at about chest height, pointed at a 45 degree downward angle towards the left dor panel? Any LEO looking at you would instantly see a gun strapped to your chest.
Wow, I haven't heard or thought about that but it would seem work.
I'm sure anyone that observed this would do a double take.

I CCDW in a similar area of the body, inside vest pocket.

Don't have airbags in my vehicle. If I'm in an accident where I'm breaking ribs a couple extra isn't at the top of my list.

I ride a motorcycle as well and I'm more concerned about weapon retention and concealment. Scrapes and broken bones heal.

All safeties should not fail all at once. Firing pin block should stop it from inpact. Slide safety, trigger safety and grip safety souldn't fail but you still need to pull the trigger.