• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Took a (newbie) friend to the range this weekend....

AbNo

imported post

So, Kendo_Bunny and a friend of ours came down to visit over the past weekend, and we took her to the Hite Hollow Range.

She was quite happy to be out there, even though it was a bit cold and on-off raining.

Had a few covering issues ("Stop pointing that at me. Stop pointing that at her."), but otherwise she did well.

She seemed to like the S&W 22A, and became fairly decent with it, despite living in Maryland. :lol:

She performed acceptably with the XD-40, and the 1911, and I even talked her into putting 5 rounds down of my buddy Shayne's Mosin Nagant, which would've hit a man-sized target at that (short) range.

She also haad fun with the 995 carbine, even though she had a little trouble pulling the bolt back. I think it was sticking a little since I got it back.

She even shot the top off a water bottle, which she kept. :celebrate

saluney

imported post

Took my wife to the range at Bobs Gun shop to introduce her to shooting.. I have a glock 19..rented her a 26. Now she wants her own gun, She had a better target than me..BAD EYES:banghead: She just wants to use my ammo. She loves shooting:celebrate

smccomas

imported post

stan Luney wrote:
Took my wife to the range at Bobs Gun shop to introduce her to shooting.. I have a glock 19..rented her a 26. Now she wants her own gun, She had a better target than me..BAD EYES:banghead: She just wants to use my ammo. She loves shooting:celebrate
My wife shoots better than I, wish I could blame it on the eyes. I have come to the conclusion (she suggested)my job is to lay down suppressing fire she can take out the point targets.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

I was a little jealous that she could fire the rifles. I wish I could hold them properly :(

Anyway, she had fun, I had fun, and now we just need to convince her to move in with me :celebrate

And I need to visit in April so we can take Christina shooting.

Marco

imported post

I'm going to have to take a trip out there soI can shoot outdoors.

That appears to be the closet outdoor range for mein VA other then Clark's Bros.
2+hrs and over a 135 miles away.:X
There is AN outdoor range in Frederick, MD but that would mean I have to give up some rights and I'm not willing to do that.

I checked out this site and it appears to be out dated.
http://www.muck-boy.com/Muckboy%20Shooting%20Page.htm
I emailed them some up dated info and will see what happens.

The range in Front Royal is closed for now.
And the one in Annandale,how long has that one been closed???

EDIT:
The people at muck-boy edited their site and replied to my email in less than a hour.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I'm going to have to take a trip out there soI can shoot outdoors.

That appears to be the closet outdoor range for mein VA other then Clark's Bros.
2+hrs and over a 135 miles away.:X
There is outdoor range in Frederick, MD but that would mean I have to give up some rights and I'm not willing to do that.

I checked out this site and it appears to be out dated.
http://www.muck-boy.com/Muckboy%20Shooting%20Page.htm
I emailed them some up dated info and will see what happens.

The range in Front Royal is closed for now.
And the one in Annandale,how long has that one been closed???

EDIT:
The people at muck-boy edited their site and replied to my email in less than a hour.
There is an outdoor range on the outskirts of Centreville. It has 140 acres with a handgun/rifle 100 yard range, shotgun skeet and trap, bow and arrow, and a stocked fishing pond. This is my 15th season going there.

Marco

imported post

Great work Abno!
New shooters aRE great for the cause.

Just on the outskirts.
With that info I should have no problem finding it.;)
The local outdoor ranges that I know of are all private.:(

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Great work Abno!

Just on the outskirts.
Ok, now that I have wetted your whistle, I'll tell you what it is. It's the Izaac Walton League facility. I have been a member since '94. It is convenient and a decent range.

Glock27Bill

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Great work Abno!

Just on the outskirts.
Ok, now that I have wetted your whistle, I'll tell you what it is. It's the Izaac Walton League facility. I have been a member since '94. It is convenient and a decent range.
I just joined. Were you at the March meeting where new members were voted in?

Xeni

imported post

Not to derail but in the past few weeks I've introduced 3 people to the range and allowed them to use my firearm to try it out.

Out of that has come out 1 new open carrier (my dad).

A friend of mine that said he'll open carry when going to restraunts now (instead of just leaving his smoke wagon in his pick up)

And the friend's wife that while she's not comfortable with the idear of OC she is more comfortable with guns, won't have an issue with her husband CC or OCing and would like to come out to the range with us again. So, I can keep working her. :)

I shifted an anti- here at work to pro- and he's now shopping for his own piece and wanting to go out to the range with me to practice. His wife is VERY apprehensive so that's a next challange.

Range time = good bonding time

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

AbNo and I took my best friend and her husband shooting. She's gone from moderately anti to pro, and the two of them are even considering buying a gun when they have their own place.

Marco

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
It's the Izaac Walton League facility.

I had a feeling it was the IWL, already looked into joining.:D
There is a range in FrontRoyal but it is closed for now, reason unknown.

Thanks for the info.

Marco

imported post

Kendo_Bunny wrote:
AbNo and I took my best friend and her husband shooting. She's gone from moderately anti to pro, and the two of them are even considering buying a gun when they have their own place.
Xeni wrote:
I've introduced 3 people to the range and allowed them to use my firearm to try it out.

Out of that has come out 1 new open carrier (my dad).
Excellent.

Kendo, you're welcome to use my Ruger 10/22(.22 caliber rifle)for practice if you're ever in my area.
I live just a few blocks from BRA in Chantilly.