Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supressors

Post imported post

Hello, I'm new. I know there are many knowledgeable people amongst you, and I was wondering if someone could write me an "idiots guide to buying a surppressor." Hopefully someone has some experience with this and could post a step by step list of things that are required of me by law. I know about this infamous "tax-stamp" but where do you get them? do they come with the surppressor when you buy them? If purchased online do you have to go through a FFL? I think the law says, they're legal until a round is fired through it. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken about anything)

Timely response greatly appreciated.

Justin

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

If you folow the federal application/transfer process, possession in WA is legal. However, current state law makes use of one a misdemeanor, and there are no exceptions in that law.

Kind of a "catch-22"...

Post imported post

Wade's, in Bellevue has them "on-the-shelf" to purchase. You can also purchase them online and have them transferred through a Class III dealer, such as Wade's.

As for the legalities... it's kind of hazy. There's been debate on these forums (and damn-good arguments made on both sides) that it's legal to "use" registered sound suppressors because Law-Enforcement isn't given any exception under the law to use them... e.g., if they use them (which they do) they are in violation of state law... UNLESS, the law was intended to make use of only unregistered sound suppressors "illegal", which it doesn't state specifically, as the wording is "contrivance or device" and one would assume that even a registered sound suppressor would fall under the term "device".

But, since I'm not a lawyer or legal professional, I can't make those kinds of distinctions.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

With the "vague" description of a suppressor, although not attached to the firearm, hearing protection couldfall under that particular law, as it does reduce the sound.:shock::?

Post imported post

This sounds like a very good topic for a question of the state AG. Does anyone have a representative they feel would be willing to ask?

Post imported post

Has anyone actually purchased one? I've heard rumors that you'll be put on "the list".Recently at Sam's, I went and shot a few hundred rounds through myFNP-9 and Walther22. My ear plug wasn't fully protecting my ear. Next thing you know, my ears the most sensitve its ever been... So, surppressors huntingI went.

Post imported post

Kuiper2008 wrote:
    Has anyone actually purchased one? I've heard rumors that you'll be put on "the list".Recently at Sam's, I went and shot a few hundred rounds through myFNP-9 and Walther22. My ear plug wasn't fully protecting my ear. Next thing you know, my ears the most sensitve its ever been... So, surppressors huntingI went.
    Who knows what really gets anyone on the "list" one could argue that buying a gun gets you ona list or getting a CPL gets you on a list. The fact is it is no different than buying a gun it is just a slower background check because it is performed by the feds rather than local PD like when you buy a gun or get a CPL. The one that I heard that really cracked me up was owning a silencer allows the big bad government to come kick down your door dowhenever they feel like itand search your house, this is complete BS. I have purchased several silencers and would highly recommend getting one they are fun to use and easy to get.

Post imported post

Is there an age restriction? How long of a waiting period is there? What do I need to know before I go into Wades/Sams/Discount where-ever andbuy one? What is a "tax-stamp"? Does it come with the surppressor? After the paperwork?

Post imported post

so you actually use your suppressors?

i'd kill to be able to use one on my 10/22

Post imported post

Kuiper2008 wrote:
    Is there an age restriction? How long of a waiting period is there? What do I need to know before I go into Wades/Sams/Discount where-ever andbuy one? What is a "tax-stamp"? Does it come with the surppressor? After the paperwork?
    Many questions can be answered by reading this FAQ: http://www.autoweapons.com/pagelinks/buyandsell.html

They also have a VERY large list of Class III weapons... not the best prices out there, but certainly one of the best stocks of them.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

nosliw wrote:
    so you actually use your suppressors?

i'd kill to be able to use one on my 10/22
    Use them in Oregon or Idaho if you wish, but if you get caught using one here you will likely be charged with using it as the State A.G says that it is illegal to use one, per state law. Lack of ear protection is an operator's responsibility, and if you din't keep yours in place, you will probably forget the suppressor too.

Post imported post

Why do people always talk so much smack online. I bet if I was at the range with my 9mm in my hand you wouldn't be so condescending.

Post imported post

Kuiper2008 wrote:
    Why do people always talk so much smack online. I bet if I was at the range with my 9mm in my hand you wouldn't be so condescending.
    Don't count on it boy, you and your whimpy 9 mil just don't impress me. Oh yeah your threat about your 9 mil in hand isyou talkin' the smack. Also, I've been on is earth a long time and punks like you don't have it to make in the real world much less combat.

Post imported post

Cause intranet geeks like you whine n cry like a stuck pig over nothing ...

I bet your too much of a beach to goto your local range hootin n hollerin ... you dont scare anyone now and I'd bet my life 3-4 people at any gun range would have you peeing your pants like the crybaby you are.

Post imported post

Ouch? haha screw you guys.

Post imported post

Kuiper2008 wrote:
    Ouch? haha screw you guys.
    You are not now or ever will be man enough to screw anyone, much less me, boy (please notice there is no caps in boy).

Post imported post

can't hit much of anything when the 9mm is aimed sideways...

Post imported post

nosliw wrote:
    can't hit much of anything when the 9mm is aimed sideways...

State Researcher

Post imported post

Post imported post

Bear gets more hate on here than Hillary, its kinda funny.

Post imported post

if you get caught using one here you will likely be charged with using it as the State A.G says that it is illegal to use one, per state law.
    Do you have a reference to where the AG actually said that? If he has said this, then it's a big blow to the "LEO use them without consequence" argument...

Post imported post

John Hardin wrote:
    if you get caught using one here you will likely be charged with using it as the State A.G says that it is illegal to use one, per state law.
    Do you have a reference to where the AG actually said that? If he has said this, then it's a big blow to the "LEO use them without consequence" argument...
    He actually only went so far as to say attaching it to a gun was NOT "use" he did not define what "use" is.

Post imported post

Kuiper2008 wrote:
    Age restriction is 21 years, same as a handgun. Waiting period varies depending on how backed up they are and the examiner you get (different examiners are assigned based on the first letter in your last name and some take longer than others ) waiting periods have been ranging from three to nine weeks lately, My most recent purchase took about eight weeks start to finish. The tax stamp comes affixed to the application paperwork along with the signature of your examiner after it has been approved this paper is your silencer licence and you will need to have a copy of it with you whenever you are carrying or transporting the silencer, just like your CPL needs to be with you when you are CC'ing. the tax stamp is just that, a stamp. it looks like an overgrown postage stamp but instead of having $0.37 on it it has $200. When you go into wades or discount ( sam's does not sell them ) It will help to have a cashiers check already made out to the BATFE for $200 then they can set you up wit the living trust and they take care of everything else for you. Like I said it is pretty easy there are no hoops to jump through it is primarily just kicking back and waiting.

Post imported post

ScorpioMk wrote:
    Bear gets more hate on here than Hillary, its kinda funny.
    I'd rather be hated by a moron like Kuiper2008 thanbe like Hillary and have you vote for me.

Post imported post

Kuiper2008 wrote:
    Sounds like a threat to me...

Tell you what, If I cannot, or, would not say it to your face, then I would not post it on a forum.

If you think your "9mm" in your hand makes you a man, you really have a surprise coming.. that statement proves you don't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up by yourself. Try it with this OLD MAN and you will end up with a dent in your chin. Yeah I am 68 years, weigh 165, and don't take crap from anyone .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast