• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supressors

Kuiper06

imported post

Hello, I'm new. I know there are many knowledgeable people amongst you, and I was wondering if someone could write me an "idiots guide to buying a surppressor." Hopefully someone has some experience with this and could post a step by step list of things that are required of me by law. I know about this infamous "tax-stamp" but where do you get them? do they come with the surppressor when you buy them? If purchased online do you have to go through a FFL? I think the law says, they're legal until a round is fired through it. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken about anything)

Timely response greatly appreciated.

Justin

just_a_car

imported post

Wade's, in Bellevue has them "on-the-shelf" to purchase. You can also purchase them online and have them transferred through a Class III dealer, such as Wade's.

As for the legalities... it's kind of hazy. There's been debate on these forums (and damn-good arguments made on both sides) that it's legal to "use" registered sound suppressors because Law-Enforcement isn't given any exception under the law to use them... e.g., if they use them (which they do) they are in violation of state law... UNLESS, the law was intended to make use of only unregistered sound suppressors "illegal", which it doesn't state specifically, as the wording is "contrivance or device" and one would assume that even a registered sound suppressor would fall under the term "device".

But, since I'm not a lawyer or legal professional, I can't make those kinds of distinctions.

Trigger Dr

imported post

With the "vague" description of a suppressor, although not attached to the firearm, hearing protection couldfall under that particular law, as it does reduce the sound.:shock::?:D

Kuiper06

imported post

Has anyone actually purchased one? I've heard rumors that you'll be put on "the list".Recently at Sam's, I went and shot a few hundred rounds through myFNP-9 and Walther22. My ear plug wasn't fully protecting my ear. Next thing you know, my ears the most sensitve its ever been... So, surppressors huntingI went.

Agent 47

imported post

Kuiper2008 wrote:
Has anyone actually purchased one? I've heard rumors that you'll be put on "the list".Recently at Sam's, I went and shot a few hundred rounds through myFNP-9 and Walther22. My ear plug wasn't fully protecting my ear. Next thing you know, my ears the most sensitve its ever been... So, surppressors huntingI went.
Who knows what really gets anyone on the "list" one could argue that buying a gun gets you ona list or getting a CPL gets you on a list. The fact is it is no different than buying a gun it is just a slower background check because it is performed by the feds rather than local PD like when you buy a gun or get a CPL. The one that I heard that really cracked me up was owning a silencer allows the big bad government to come kick down your door dowhenever they feel like itand search your house, this is complete BS. I have purchased several silencers and would highly recommend getting one they are fun to use and easy to get.

Kuiper06

imported post

Is there an age restriction? How long of a waiting period is there? What do I need to know before I go into Wades/Sams/Discount where-ever andbuy one? What is a "tax-stamp"? Does it come with the surppressor? After the paperwork?

just_a_car

imported post

Kuiper2008 wrote:
Is there an age restriction? How long of a waiting period is there? What do I need to know before I go into Wades/Sams/Discount where-ever andbuy one? What is a "tax-stamp"? Does it come with the surppressor? After the paperwork?
Many questions can be answered by reading this FAQ: http://www.autoweapons.com/pagelinks/buyandsell.html

They also have a VERY large list of Class III weapons... not the best prices out there, but certainly one of the best stocks of them.

Bear 45/70

imported post

nosliw wrote:
so you actually use your suppressors?

i'd kill to be able to use one on my 10/22
Use them in Oregon or Idaho if you wish, but if you get caught using one here you will likely be charged with using it as the State A.G says that it is illegal to use one, per state law. Lack of ear protection is an operator's responsibility, and if you din't keep yours in place, you will probably forget the suppressor too.

Kuiper06

imported post

Why do people always talk so much smack online. I bet if I was at the range with my 9mm in my hand you wouldn't be so condescending.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Kuiper2008 wrote:
Why do people always talk so much smack online. I bet if I was at the range with my 9mm in my hand you wouldn't be so condescending.
Don't count on it boy, you and your whimpy 9 mil just don't impress me. Oh yeah your threat about your 9 mil in hand isyou talkin' the smack. Also, I've been on is earth a long time and punks like you don't have it to make in the real world much less combat.
rolleyes.gif

Ravenhawk

imported post

Cause intranet geeks like you whine n cry like a stuck pig over nothing ...

I bet your too much of a beach to goto your local range hootin n hollerin ... you dont scare anyone now and I'd bet my life 3-4 people at any gun range would have you peeing your pants like the crybaby you are.