Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: All places in washington where OC is illegal.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    The purpose of this thread is to come up with a list of places that are either clearly black(illegal), or grey(legality questioned or unknown) to open carry and/or conceal carry.

    Black(illegal):
    1. Any location with liquor license and age verification. Such as a bar, or liquor store. This does not include resturants that sell liqour, but only the bar part of the resturant.

    2. Any K12 school, or a location that is being used exclusively by the K12 school.

    3. Private property where the owner or manager prohibit it.

    4. ???

    Grey:
    1. Qwest field. Due to the partial ownership by the public.

    2. University of Washington. School bans firearms, but can only enforce on students. But they can ask you to leave, and then get you for trespassing.

    3. ???

    All other areas are legal to OC and CC in Washington.



    Please help expand this list to be as thorough as possible. Also, this list is for educational purposes only, and should not be considered legal advise.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    Liquor stores fall into the grey area i think. It's not posted that only 21 and over are allowed, and parents are able to bring their children inside the store. SALE is prohibited to anyone under 21 (of course)

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    Nebulis01 wrote:
    Liquor stores fall into the grey area i think. It's not posted that only 21 and over are allowed, and parents are able to bring their children inside the store. SALE is prohibited to anyone under 21 (of course)
    You are right. Here's the law: RCW 9.41.300 " (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; "

    So, technically if the gun is banned it would be under the authority of being private property, not as a ban from the state.

    http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsea...173223&p=1

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    Nebulis01 wrote:
    Liquor stores fall into the grey area i think. It's not posted that only 21 and over are allowed, and parents are able to bring their children inside the store. SALE is prohibited to anyone under 21 (of course)
    Correct, atthe outlet store minors can go in hence no restiction.

    Also the Udud can't tresspass you unless you refuse to leave when requested to do so.



  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    Here is the entire RCW law that I've found regarding where OC and CC aren't legal. Please, if you can find any more legal references then help post them here.

    [b]13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

    (b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

    In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

    The local judicial authority shall designate and clearly mark those areas where weapons are prohibited, and shall post notices at each entrance to the building of the prohibition against weapons in the restricted areas;

    (c) The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the department of social and health services for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for the care of the mentally ill, excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress and ingress open to the general public;

    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

    (e) The restricted access areas of a commercial service airport designated in the airport security plan approved by the federal transportation security administration, including passenger screening checkpoints at or beyond the point at which a passenger initiates the screening process. These areas do not include airport drives, general parking areas and walkways, and shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoints and that are normally open to unscreened passengers or visitors to the airport. Any restricted access area shall be clearly indicated by prominent signs indicating that 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

    (ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of 10.14, 10.99, or 26.50 RCW, or an action under Title 26 RCW where any party has alleged the existence of domestic violence as defined in RCW 26.50.010; or

    (c) Security personnel while engaged in official duties.

    (7) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to a person licensed pursuant to RCW 9.41.070 who, upon entering the place or facility, directly and promptly proceeds to the administrator of the facility or the administrator's designee and obtains written permission to possess the firearm while on the premises or checks his or her firearm. The person may reclaim the 70.74.010, or instrument or weapon listed in RCW 9.41.250.

    [2004 c 116 § 1; 2004 c 16 § 1; 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 429; 1993 c 396 § 1; 1985 c 428 § 2.]

    NOTES:

    Reviser's note: This section was amended by 2004 c 16 § 1 and by 2004 c 116 § 1, each without reference to the other. Both amendments are incorporated in the publication of this section under RCW 1.12.025(2). For rule of construction, see RCW 1.12.025(1).

    Finding -- Intent -- Severability -- 1994 sp.s. c 7: See notes following RCW 43.70.540.

    Effective date -- 1994 sp.s. c 7 §§ 401-410, 413-416, 418-437, and 439-460: See note following RCW 9.41.010.

    Severability -- 1985 c 428: See note following RCW 9.41.290.


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    This brings up an interesting topic as well. Is the firearms ban at Qwest field illegal? Who opperates Qwest field? What about other stadiums?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    1. RCW 9.41.050 contains three major provisions:
    • A blanket, statewide ban on unlicenced concealed carry of a loaded pistol outside of one's residence or fixed place of business.
    • A ban on car carry of a loaded pistol w/o a CPL. (There is no implication that vehicle carry must actually be concealed, only that it requires a CPL.)
    • A ban on leaving unloaded pistols in cars unless the car is locked and the pistol concealed from view.
    2. RCW 9.41.060 contains a long list of exceptions to 9.41.050. Note that 9.41.050 is cited only be reference to the section number, so presumably the entire list of prohibitions is waived if you meet one of the exceptions. E.g. if you're legitimately on your way to a shooting range of which you're a member, you could conceal your loaded pistol, carry it in or even leave it unlocked in your car, without a CPL.... but IANAL and I certainly don't recommend you do that!

    3. RCW 9.41.280 contains a prohibition of firearms (and numerous other items) on K-12 schools, both public and private, along with a lengthy list of exceptions.

    4. RCW 9.41.300 contains restrictions on carry in places other than K-12 schools, with a list of exceptions. (Note colleges are not on the list of restricted places here--or anywhere else in the RCW. Most colleges attempt to restrict/ban firearms in their respective section of the WAC; don't ask me how constitutional this might be.)


    One minor quibble with your title--I'm not sure how meaningful it is to include OC there as there are no restrictions of open carry per se in state law at all--i.e. any place you can legally carry a pistol, you can carry it openly.



  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    I can see what you mean by the title, but I meant to ask for all locations where it is illegal to carry a pistol.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    quentusrex wrote:
    I can see what you mean by the title, but I meant to ask for all locations where it is illegal to carry a pistol.
    Don't forget that if you have a hunting or fishing licenses that those licensesare in fact a CPL when you are enroute to and from or engaging in those activities.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Qwest field is not a gray area. It is not illegal to carry there but they can refuse entry or ask you to leave if you are found to have a firearm. It operated by First and Goal Inc. which was founded as the private partner to the public stadium authority by Paul Allen. The only arena type places that firearm regulation is statutorily pre-empted are those that are actually operated by a municipality, county, or state.

    Also it is not illegal to carry on college campuses. It is not allowed by policy and therefore have no legal authority. The only thing they can do is ask you to leave, for a non-student, or expel you if you are a student.

    I think this thread should be about places where firearms are prohibited rather than where it is illegal to carry. Just because there is a policy does not make it illegal. Only an RCW can illegalize something and niether of these two places are covered in the RCW's as far as firearms are concerned.


    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  11. #11
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    quentusrex wrote:
    2. University of Washington. School bans firearms, but can only enforce on students. But they can ask you to leave, and then get you for trespassing.
    Wrong.

    The UW bans firearms possession for students AND "in general" (check both the "Student Code Of Conduct" and the "General Code Of Conduct" for the UW), but ONLY the Student Code of Conduct has the exception to 'not deny constitutional rights'... So if you're not a student, you get less civil rights....

    Interesting, né?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    Qwest field is not a gray area. It is not illegal to carry there but they can refuse entry or ask you to leave if you are found to have a firearm. It operated by First and Goal Inc. which was founded as the private partner to the public stadium authority by Paul Allen. The only arena type places that firearm regulation is statutorily pre-empted are those that are actually operated by a municipality, county, or state.

    Also it is not illegal to carry on college campuses. It is not allowed by policy and therefore have no legal authority. The only thing they can do is ask you to leave, for a non-student, or expel you if you are a student.

    I think this thread should be about places where firearms are prohibited rather than where it is illegal to carry. Just because there is a policy does not make it illegal. Only an RCW can illegalize something and niether of these two places are covered in the RCW's as far as firearms are concerned.

    It's NOT illegal. It's like a mall, if they catch you, they will deny you admittance orwill ask you to leave and if you don't they can tresspass you. But it is not illegal to have a gun and there is a major diffence.




  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    Qwest field is not a gray area. It is not illegal to carry there but they can refuse entry or ask you to leave if you are found to have a firearm. It operated by First and Goal Inc. which was founded as the private partner to the public stadium authority by Paul Allen. The only arena type places that firearm regulation is statutorily pre-empted are those that are actually operated by a municipality, county, or state.

    Also it is not illegal to carry on college campuses. It is not allowed by policy and therefore have no legal authority. The only thing they can do is ask you to leave, for a non-student, or expel you if you are a student.

    I think this thread should be about places where firearms are prohibited rather than where it is illegal to carry. Just because there is a policy does not make it illegal. Only an RCW can illegalize something and niether of these two places are covered in the RCW's as far as firearms are concerned.

    It's NOT illegal. It's like a mall, if they catch you, they will deny you admittance orwill ask you to leave and if you don't they can tresspass you. But it is not illegal to have a gun and there is a major diffence.


    Thats what I said Bear.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington, USA
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    Liquor stores are perfectly OK to carry in. The main reason I think so is because of this:

    RCW 9.41.300
    ...
    (5) The perimeter of the premises of any specific location covered by subsection (1) of this section shall be posted at reasonable intervals to alert the public as to the existence of any law restricting the possession of firearms on the premises.


    Liquor stores are not posted No Firearms. Plus liquor stores are state run so they aren't private property and they can't ask you to leave.

    Here is the Liquor store sign:

    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington, USA
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post


    Bars are posted with this sign:

    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington, USA
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    And bars are posted with this sign:

    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •