• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchasing from a dealer, proof of residency question.

mercutio545

imported post

Sort of off-topic, but I'm not really on other forums that much so I figure I'd ask here.

I'm planning on changing my permanent address soon (the address on my license), and the only proof of residency that I currently have is my voters card. If I wanted to buy or transfer from a dealer and the address on the license is different than the one on the voters card, would that still work, or do I have to wait forever to get my new voters card in the mail? Thanks.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

A motor vehicle registration is one that you can get at the same time you get your drivers license. You can buy a fishing license anytime. Personal checks are fairly quick to get as is a receipt from the county for your personal property tax. If you have a passport you can just pencil in your address when you move.

AbNo

imported post

Just go to the DMV and get a change of address card.

I've done it..... four times now, on the same address. It's free, as opposed to $10 for a new license....

In a few days, you get a little card to stick in your wallet. If you need it, give with your DL, otherwise, just leave it in there.

I've used my COA card for all three (about to be 4) of my NIC checks. :celebrate

That, and a power bill. Or pay stub.

xd.40

imported post

Or you can save the hassle and go to http://www.dmvnow.com and do it there. You may need to wait a few days for the DMV to send you a pin to access the site, if it's your first time using it, but it is well worth your while the next time you move - oh and this is free too!

LEO 229

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
Sort of off-topic, but I'm not really on other forums that much so I figure I'd ask here.

I'm planning on changing my permanent address soon (the address on my license), and the only proof of residency that I currently have is my voters card. If I wanted to buy or transfer from a dealer and the address on the license is different than the one on the voters card, would that still work, or do I have to wait forever to get my new voters card in the mail? Thanks.
I know from first hand experience that if your ID does not carry your home address the gun dealer will refuse it. The only exception is if it is a PO Box address.

You can use a car registration, utility bill, insurance card, and a variety of other items to prove you live at the new location.

One other word of caution....The issue or reissue date on the license must have a date beyond 30 days or the dealer will make you wait to get your gun.

So obtaining a change of address card instead of a license replacement would be recommended if you plan to buy in the next 30 days. ;)

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
One other word of caution....The issue or reissue date on the license must have a date beyond 30 days or the dealer will make you wait to get your gun.

So obtaining a change of address card instead of a license replacement would be recommended if you plan to buy in the next 30 days. ;)
I didn't know that. Great information! Do you know why that is?

LEO 229

imported post

dixiehacker wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I didn't know that. Great information! Do you know why that is?
Something to do with living here a full 30 days before buying.

The issue date could showyou just moved here. You couldalso get your license and go back the next day to say you lost it hence waiting on the reissue date too.

So either way... must wait 30 days. There is a law on itand maybe someone can post it. I do not have it handy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Buy private and keep the License in your wallet.
I went to Greentops today to buy a red dot. The fellow next to me was trying to trade in a new in box looking S&W auto. He didn't like the figure GT's quoted so he just bought his gun straight.

WE did a parking lot transfer at GT's price +25.00.

Didn't matter if my DL had my current address or not.

And before you say it 229, I got the all clear on the serial number 15 minutes after I bought it and his tag number went in the trash.

LEO 229

imported post

Private sales are good if you want to avoid the background check and fee and paying the MSRP cost.

But for those that want a new gun or a hard to find gun that nobody is selling privately... you may have little choice.

VAopencarry

imported post

The issue or reissue date on the license must have a date beyond 30 days or the dealer will make you wait to get your gun.

WRONG!!:D

30 days apply to Original(ori) or Duplicate(dup)

Reissues is good to go, however make sure the DMV clerk puts the right code on there. Another way around the Duplicate problem, produce a copy of your driving record that indicates you have had a VA license longer than 30 days.

nova

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Just go to the DMV and get a change of address card.

I've done it..... four times now, on the same address. It's free, as opposed to $10 for a new license....

In a few days, you get a little card to stick in your wallet. If you need it, give with your DL, otherwise, just leave it in there.

I've used my COA card for all three (about to be 4) of my NIC checks. :celebrate

That, and a power bill. Or pay stub.
I'm going to look into this. So even if I've lived at one address for 18 years, I can still get a free COA card with my same current address on it? That would be much more convenient to buy a gun with than my checkbook I bring to the shows, and much less of a risk of losing my checkbook as well :)

nova

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I don't understand.

If you haven't moved how does the change of address card help you? Are you using it as a 2d ID?
If this was to me,

that's exactly it. Currently when I buy from a dealer I use my VA DL, and I use a personal check (in my checkbook) as the 2nd form of ID.

I was asking about the COA card so that I could have everything I need to buy a gun in my wallet, instead of carrying (and risk losing) my whole checkbook to the gun shows.

nova

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
I'm guessing you don't have a CHP - that's always my 2nd ID, because it's always with me.
I don't have a CHP, though I'll be getting my certification this summer so in two years I can get my CHP when I do turn 21 :)

mobeewan

imported post

I believe a voter registration card is acceptable as a second ID since it is supposed to have your current address on it.