• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Indiana County

Farmer Troy

imported post

Nope . . . I've never OCed in Indiana before . . . in general what is up with the State Police?

I've recently started OCing on business between Pittsburgh and Meadville along I-79 and I always wonder what will the troopers say if they see me OCing during rest stop breaks.

I always get a chuckle when the Canadians see me carrying a pistol at my side.

Lots of looks at the urinals too ;-) Checking out my gun!

Aran

Banned
imported post

Hm. Maybe it's just Indiana itself then.

Borough police only have jurisdiction through a small part of town, and the State Police are the main police force through the rest of it, so they respond to most things.

If you've read my accounts of my encounters with the State Police (I'm sure Statkowski has, over on PAFOA) you'll understand why I ask.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

What you say might well be true. Of course, at my age, I don't look like a "college kid" in a college town, which may also have a bearing on your past experiences.

Are you sure they're checking out your gun? Do they have urinals in Canada?

imperialism2024

imported post

Farmer Troy wrote:
Back in January, I went into a rest stop with my empty holster for my .44 magnum revolver (7.5" barrel), and this one couple saw it and looked absolutely petrified... I thought one of them was going to have a heart attack. As I was going back out to my car, I saw them getting into a vehicle with Quebec plates...

I got a ton of other scared looks from other people... I couldn't figure it out until I looked at the plates, and most of them were from DPRNY and DPRNJ. Hit pay dirt on that stop.

Renegade

imported post

Farmer Troy wrote:
Hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts...

When I stop at a public bathroom I always go into a stall and lock the door behind me - I just have no desire to be caught with my pants down!

Farmer Troy

imported post

Share away . . . your thoughts are just as good as mine . . .

I don't use a stall unless I am literally pulling my pants down to sit.

When I use the urinal, I unzip but not unbelt, so I am not caught with any less readiness than normal . . . pants never come down.

Anyways, enough with the bathroom talk . . .

Happy Spring everyone, Farmer Troy

sjhipple

imported post

Why wouldn't you "suggest it?" It seems to me that if the cops are giving OCers trouble in Indiana that that means you need to do it MORE, not less, until they learn the law. A few open carry dinners in Indiana might be a good idea.

Statkowski

imported post

Original poster had a not-too-pleasant experience with PSP due to his open carrying. Indiana, Pa. is a college town, with enough problems created by drunk/rowdy/immature college students. Original poster is of college age. PSP undoubtedly assumed they were dealing with "one of them." Haven't heard of any incidents with older folk but, then again, you don't see much open carrying in and around town.

sjhipple

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
And there,one and all, isthe conflict between theory and reality. Were they wrong? Yes. Might have it all have been handled differently with an older open carrier? Quite possibly.

If you think the age of majority should be raised to 21 or 25 from 18, that is a different issue. If we are citizens at 18, the Constitution protects us at that age. Whims, whatever their grounds, are not enough to violate the 4th and 2nd Amendments.

Anyway, sounds like Indiana needs more open carrying, by college students or otherwise.

Statkowski

imported post

Sorry if I sound like I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, but, like it or not, appearance (which includes age)does count. In a college town, if you're of college age, you'll be viewed as "one of them," not "one of us," whether you're a student or not. And in a college town, where stupid kids have been known to do stupid things, their stupid actions make life just a little bit more difficult for those of the same age grouping that aren't doing stupid things. That's reality, that's human nature - that doesn't make such right, but that's the way it is.

A little while ago a deranged individual went and shot up a college. At that same college wereother students who wanted to have the lawful right to carry concealed firearms for self defense. Did those in charge listen to reasonable, well-thought-out discussions on the subject? No, they focused on the inappropriate actions of one individual. Was that right? No. Was it to be expected? Of course.

Do I open carry in Indiana Borough and its surrounding suburbs? No, but that's because I don't go to Indiana except for employment (and my employer would seriously frown on open carry at work). I don't shop there, I don't go drinking there, I don't go socializing there. Twenty-five miles away where I live, however, is another story.

sjhipple

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Sorry if I sound like I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, but, like it or not, appearance (which includes age)does count. In a college town, if you're of college age, you'll be viewed as "one of them," not "one of us," whether you're a student or not.
Then maybe we need to make sure that more college students open carry in Indiana if the police have a problem upholding the rights of college students.

I hear what you're saying. The police will overreact and violate that person's rights. That's when you file a Freedom of Information Act request, file a complaint and follow up on it. Do that 4-5 times and I guarantee the police will get the idea.

Statkowski

imported post

Agreed. I think the college might be having an "empty holster" day coming up.

Actually, as far as schools go, IUP isn't as "liberal" as others, and appears to have an open mind (their school paper had a decent editorial not too long ago about concealed carry and such).

Aran

Banned
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
Sorry if I sound like I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, but, like it or not, appearance (which includes age)does count. In a college town, if you're of college age, you'll be viewed as "one of them," not "one of us," whether you're a student or not.
Then maybe we need to make sure that more college students open carry in Indiana if the police have a problem upholding the rights of college students.

I hear what you're saying. The police will overreact and violate that person's rights. That's when you file a Freedom of Information Act request, file a complaint and follow up on it. Do that 4-5 times and I guarantee the police will get the idea.

Filed the FOIA request, they told me that what I requested was only available via subpoena. Filed a complaint with the local barracks, the commissioner of the PSP... crap, and a third one, I can't remember where it went, it's been a while now... The response I got was this: http://www.songofthewinds.com/PSPResponse.jpg

Frankly, I'm not looking forward to going through it again, even to "win" in the end. It's bad enough that they already have a file on me (The second time I dealt with the PSP the trooper came back from running my info and started in on me about the first time I was stopped while open carrying) started.

Plus, I can't afford a lawyer if they try and push for a conviction on any grounds.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Agreed. I think the college might be having an "empty holster" day coming up.

Actually, as far as schools go, IUP isn't as "liberal" as others, and appears to have an open mind (their school paper had a decent editorial not too long ago about concealed carry and such).

April 21st through the 25th, nationwide

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2383535699 / www.concealedcampus.org

I'm the Campus Leader for SCCC at IUP, though I'm still working on getting everything together, getting flyers ready, etc. Should be all set to go by the end of the week. (Yes, I'm slow. Sue me. :p)

sjhipple

imported post

Aran wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Statkowski wrote:

Filed the FOIA request, they told me that what I requested was only available via subpoena. Filed a complaint with the local barracks, the commissioner of the PSP... crap, and a third one, I can't remember where it went, it's been a while now... The response I got was this: http://www.songofthewinds.com/PSPResponse.jpg

Frankly, I'm not looking forward to going through it again, even to "win" in the end. It's bad enough that they already have a file on me (The second time I dealt with the PSP the trooper came back from running my info and started in on me about the first time I was stopped while open carrying) started.

Plus, I can't afford a lawyer if they try and push for a conviction on any grounds.

What would they possibly charge you with? So what that the officer didn't like that you didn't obey him. His job is to enforce the law, not tell people how to live their lives.

What exactly did you ask for in the FOIA?