• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buyer Beware: Champion Arms in Renton, WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Average Joe

imported post

Try Olympic Arms in Nisqually. They have worked on my 1911 and my AR. They always do great work.

kenshin

imported post

deanf wrote:
Looks like they moved to McKenna(Roy/Yelm area).

I think they have two shops.
Yup, they do. The Marksman is one of my favorite shops. I've bought the majority of my guns there. And even after I moved way out to Gig Harbor, I still make the drive over there and give them my business first. Their employees are smart and do as much as they can to help you find the part or gun YOU want, not what they want to sell you like other places have done to me.

Nosrac

imported post

kenshin wrote:
Yup, they do. The Marksman is one of my favorite shops. I've bought the majority of my guns there. And even after I moved way out to Gig Harbor, I still make the drive over there and give them my business first. Their employees are smart and do as much as they can to help you find the part or gun YOU want, not what they want to sell you like other places have done to me.
I haven't bought any firearms there but I do use their shooting range. The two young guys there are great.

imported post

I started working at this joint on February 12, 2009. I was dropped behind the counter with not a lick of training on the POS software system, ATFE paperwork, or anything else. By trial and error and on-the-job training, I picked it up fairly well during my first full week and did quite well the second week. I liked the job and fit into it quite well. I also sold a lot of guns, some of which probably would not have sold that day if I had not applied my skills to the opportunity.

On Monday, March 2, just before preparing to go back to work, I checked my voice mail and found one by "Maria," the owner. The voice mail informed me that I was canned. It gave no reason because there was not one that made any sense at all. The coward did not even have the moral courage to tell me to my face or even directly over the telephone.

During my two weeks on the job, I knew of two other employees who quit and one other who was looking for another job. I heard directly one of the men who quit saying that he was denied some of the pay that he earned. I also noticed that if a gun sale did not go through or if a part did not fit or otherwise provide satisfaction, it was hard for the customer to get a refund. Commonly, 20 per cent was witheld as a "stocking fee" and the rest was hard and time-consuming to get.
Edit Remove
Send To A Friend Link to this Review

triehl27

imported post

Yeah as I said earlier in the thread I don't go to Champion anymore.

Last I knew Maria was the owner's wife.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that it is NOT leagal to fire someone over the phone. I had that happen to me, once and that was a point that my lawyer brought up.

Secondly Champion CAN'T keep employees PERIOD. The only ones that I see regularly on my scarce visits are Maria, and family that "Help out" in the store.

EDIT: HUH I thought ai already posted this story but here it is:

Early on when the store had just opened, the owner had a Gen 1 G17 in the case for sale. It was his personal gun. I talked with him about it, and he agreed to sell it. we agreed on a fair price and I went to get cash.

When I returned I started the paperwork, and then asked to see the pistol again to verify the ser. number. The owner got real cagey, and told me he'd take care of it, and not to worry, just finish the paperwork so he could call in the sale. I stopped the paperwork at that point until I could see the pistol. He finally retrieved a Glock box and opened it so I couldn't see the pistol, and read me the number.

Well that didn't work because the serial number was WAY out of the range of a First Gen Glock. So I finally go pushy and turn the box so I could see the pistol. NOT THE GUN i HAD AGREED TO BUY. But a later 2nd Generation Glock 17.

I then told him the deal was off. He got angry told me I had to buy it since I had started the paperwork. I grabbed the paperwork tore it in half and pocketed the remnents of it. He then told me I couldn't leave til I payed a 20% restocking and paperwork fee for a failed sale.

I which point I laughed and waked out.

Another story:
My buddy's wife got stiffed on 2 Glock Mags, she bought from them for her husband as a gift. They sold her cheapo plastic NON OEM mags, and charged her $39 a piece. When the mags couldn't even be loaded they were so bad. No refund, Must have bought them somewhere else we were told. Since the reciept at the time wasn't printed with the store name on it, just a white slip of paper.

bugly

imported post

Ravenhawk wrote:
Can't blame you for that ... let me know if you find another shooting range in the area ... Im in Kent and the only other range I know of is Bullseye in Tacoma.
Bob @ bullseye is a pretty good smith, too. Always had good exp. with him and the crew @ bullseye. Remember, the range is upstairs from the "pro shop" and they are seperate entities, don't take unpaid merchandise up or down the stairs.

markallen

imported post

I had a very poor experience with Champion Arms. I was looking for a Kimber CDP and contacted them on the phone and was told, "no problem" we have them in stock. I drove 2 hours to the store only to find out that they didn't have one in stock and suddenly no one in the store could remember a phone conversation that occurred just two hours previously. They guy on the counter offered to order the gun and have it for me within three days. This seemed like a reasonable compromise so I agreed, placed the order and payed for it in full via credit card. What a mistake! - The order never showed up and I received nothing but excuses for over 60 days until I finally gave up and asked for my money back. They had the paperwork and stapled to it was their copy of my credit card receipt, BUT GET THIS.... They would NOT refund my money unless I had MY copy of the credit card receipt. I explained to them that I had plenty of ID including the card with the same account number showing on their copy but no dice. I had to bring in MY copy of the exact same receipt they had stapled to the paperwork. I bit the bullet and drove the 2 hours home and back and showed them MY copy. My credit card was credited but I vowed I would NEVER do business with them again. During the time I was waiting for them to find my paperwork, there were two different vendors both there to collect past due money that they were owed. Champion Arms should not be allowed to have an FFL and should not be in business.

Stoked

imported post

+1 on all the Champion stories. My dad and I took his pistol, an 1895 S&W New Departure, in to be cleaned and inspected. They held it for over two months, refusing to answer questions about it via the phone, until I finally went in to get it with him. The dude behind the counter refused to answer direct questions, said it wasn't at the shop, and pretty much tried to stall us at every turn. After some arguing,he went in the back and came out with the gun, stating it had been cleaned and inspected by their "gunsmith". When I broke open the cylinder, I noticed a small slip of paper in one of the chambers- I had put it in there 2 months prior, with the date and my signature. It was still oily and covered in carbon.

Cleaned and inspected? No way.

He wanted to charge us $20 for the "service". Not going to happen.

The only time I go near Champion is to qualify. I'm not paying for the range or ammo, and I am getting paid to be there, so I'll attend. I feel the same way about the Marksman. The only places I'll shoot are Bullseye or one of the PD ranges somewhere.

antispam540

imported post

champrules wrote:
and what is your name bringer of the light? i can tell you right now that you were fired because you were a piece of @#$% and couldnt properly finish any task that came your way. dont be giving champion arms a bad name because you were fired because you lacked the intelligence to fulfill your duty. i would love for you to come back and say all the @#$% you said to anybodys face who works here
And now we see how business owners actually care about Yelp reviews :lol: Maybe we should write reviews (honest ones, of course - I'm not suggesting lying) of the experiences we've had in some of the pro and anti businesses around here.

markallen

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
And now we see how business owners actually care about Yelp reviews :lol:  Maybe we should write reviews (honest ones, of course - I'm not suggesting lying) of the experiences we've had in some of the pro and anti businesses around here.

I find it amusing that this thread has raised its head after a year being buried under a myriad of pages where the average user would not read it unless doing a search.

champrules has effectively given all the current and new members a chance to review the entire thread and draw their own conclusions regarding this company. I like the idea of posting our experiences with the various businesses we patronize as members of this organization.

I can reiterate that the post regarding my experiences with the company is 100% accurate and stand by everything previously written.

So, let's see if there are some here willing to share any recent experiences with Champion. Anyone?

Rune

imported post

Damn.... I'm glad this got resurected. GunGenie has their G19 going on sale next month and I was going to go through Champion Arms to get it. After reading this I Think I will be contacting another dealer instead. Not worth the risk to me. Anyone know how Jeff Gauthier is? Anyone heard of him. Hes listed as another dealer and his price is right.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

markallen wrote:
antispam540 wrote:
And now we see how business owners actually care about Yelp reviews :lol: Maybe we should write reviews (honest ones, of course - I'm not suggesting lying) of the experiences we've had in some of the pro and anti businesses around here.

I find it amusing that this thread has raised its head after a year being buried under a myriad of pages where the average user would not read it unless doing a search.

champrules has effectively given all the current and new members a chance to review the entire thread and draw their own conclusions regarding this company. I like the idea of posting our experiences with the various businesses we patronize as members of this organization.

I can reiterate that the post regarding my experiences with the company is 100% accurate and stand by everything previously written.

So, let's see if there are some here willing to share any recent experiences with Champion. Anyone?
I have bought and sold guns at Champion in the last year. I have had no issues whatsoever, as a matter of fact they have been excellent in their handling of any questions or concerns I have had. I also use their range regularlly. I have spoken with the owners and know them well, if you have any concerns go to them and it will be resolved.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Did anyone else notice that a bunch of posts in this thread were made by people with VERY low post counts? Like champrules and Bringer of the Light both only have one post!:what:

hate to say it but this thread seems to be one giant troll thread. I'd even go as far as to say that several of the posts under the same name may have been made by the same person. I dont know for sure though, but it seems odd.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Did anyone else notice that a bunch of posts in this thread were made by people with VERY low post counts? Like champrules and Bringer of the Light both only have one post!:what:

hate to say it but this thread seems to be one giant troll thread. I'd even go as far as to say that several of the posts under the same name may have been made by the same person. I dont know for sure though, but it seems odd.
Correct G22!

I still challenge anyone, if you have service you don't like, ask for the owners! They are awesome to deal with.

champrules

imported post

I will say that I personally know everyone who works at the NEW champion arms and these post from over a year ago are incorrect. I will also say I dont appreciate the people on this thread degrading the Champion Arms name when they have no idea how things are ran down there now. You guys have absolutely no right to degrade the company's name off stupid allegations that could be just a bunch of made up BS. Rune dont base your decision off someone elses perspective and experience you should go check it out and if you dont like it then go elsewhere but ill tell you right now that things are way different now at champion arms and you wont leave dissapointed. The gunsmith at champion arms is a very smart knowledgeable individual and these remarks on past experiences with people who dont know what they are doing or talking about are way out of line and incorrect. People dont shy away from champion arms just because someone says so, go check it out for yourself and I can guarentee you wont be dissapointed. Bringer of the light whoever you are first off if you have a problem with champion arms dont go spreading word on how theydidnt do this right or didnt do thatrightand degrade the company, you got fired because you were a incompetent worker who either didnt fulfill your duties correctly or just didnt care enough to put effort in your work. I would love for you to either go tell them what you are spreading on this thread post to their face and see what they have to say or just shut your mouth. Also I will say yes the prices are a little high but the customer service is great, the incentives of going to champion arms outweigh any other range in king county by a long shot. they may not have the largest selection of rentals or they may have slightly higher prices but when it comes down to experiences the good outweigh the bad and I will say that you people need to go check it out for yourself it aint gonna hurt ya to go down and check it out but dont go on here and start spreading degrading words about a experience you never had or any made up BS that has absolutely no reason to be said.

Johnny Law

imported post

champrules,

You probably should clam up at this point, as I have had NUMEROUS bad experiences with YOUR shop (involving SHODDY work, and POOR customer service)and I will be more than happy to recount all of them in detail if you choose to call me and the other posters on this thread liars.

champrules

imported post

first of all its not MY shop and second did I call you a liar? No I didnt and if you dont like them then dont go there but you have no right to degrade the company's name. When did you go there and get service that supposely f'ed you stuff up?

antispam540

imported post

champrules wrote:
first of all its not MY shop and second did I call you a liar? No I didnt and if you dont like them then dont go there but you have no right to degrade the company's name. When did you go there and get service that supposely f'ed you stuff up?
Actually, I believe there is a right to describe one's experiences with a company. Part of the first amendment, perhaps? As long as it's clear that it's personal opinion and personal experience, it doesn't fall under any libel laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.