• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark Country Sheriff's department and OC

nathan

imported post

First I would like to say that I open carry everyday and almost everywhere I go. My ratio of positive/neutral experiences to negative experiences is probably easily 50 to 1.

I was approached by a woman in Blockbuster Video last week. From the very first word out of her mouth I knew it wasn't going to be good. The condesending tone was unmistakeable. She asked if I was a cop. I said I wasn't. She asked if I had a permit for 'that'. I said I didn't need one. She told me I needed concealed weapons permit. I said it wasn't concealed so I didn't need a permit. She said yes it is. As in, yes it is concealed. The disconnect was amazing. I told her because she can see it, it isn't concealed. She asked if I thought I was 'hot shit'. I told her at that point that I wasn't interested in having a confrontation with her. I walked away and kept looking at movies.

She started raising a ruckus, saying very loudly 'that just isn't right', over and over, louder and louder until she got the attention of an employee. I found a couple movies and got in line to check them out. A clerk was on the phone with 911 and another clerk checked me out. I drove across the street and waited. A few minutes later a sheriff pulled up to the front of the store, no lights or siren, and had a brief conversation with an employee and left.

None of that was particularly interesting. Today I picked up a copy of the 911 and related radio traffic. The end of the audio consists of a converstation between the deputies. I am trying to upload the entire audio at nwcdl.org but had a problem. I will post a link when it works.

Highlights from the audio are:

at 12:30 into the audio a deputy says OC is OK.

at 13:45 they discuss a group in Hazel Dell that is choosing to open carry. They mention Applebees. :)

at 14:10 one of the deputies says: "I have a copy of the law and a state attorney general opinion on my clipboard as we speak. As long as it's not concealed, he's just wearing it on his hip, there's nothing we can do about it."

at 14:52 "what a dumb law"

at 15:08 "sounds like a smart young man"

Machoduck

imported post

Your new friend from Blockbuster doesn't think that you should be allowed to carry, presumably because the Great Unwashed, meaning all of us, can't be trusted to control themselves when they have a gun but she counts on your levelheadedness to protect her from any desire to plant one right between her eyes.

Either that or she's a bacterium trying to enter at any opening.

MD

dave1289

imported post

nathan wrote:
She started raising a ruckus, saying very loudly 'that just isn't right', over and over, louder and louder .......
At that moment I would have called the cops and told them there was some crazy woman running around, screaming.:lol:

Prophet

imported post

After a long night i needed a good laugh.

Even the 911 operator seemed annoyed by the sheeple's response inside the store. Especially how they started the call by saying "theres a man with a gun"...i mean really...they made it sound like you were shootin up the place looking to score some cash for crack.

A bit of an eye opener listening to those sherriffs talking though, racking their brains trying to figure out what they could "get" you for. And when he said smart kid i dont think it was a compliment on you knowing the law, it came across more like, smart kid for leaving the store quickly (though that wasnt the case it seemed like it was explained to the sherrif that way) and what about the other guy saying that the freedom to OC was a "stupid law"? Ridiculous.

sailor628

imported post

Maybe law enforcement ought to start helping educate the public on open carry to prevent unnecessary calls to 911. I think that call was at the same level as if I called 911 and said "There's a guy with a lot of tattoos shopping in the store I'm in and I don't feel comfortable."

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Here's a copy of the file in a much smaller bit rate. The file is reduced in size from 28mb to 1.7mb.
If anyone ever needs help in editing audio or video files, let me know. m1gunr At gmail DOT com

dt

imported post

Wow. I was seriously frustrated just listening to that moron employee trying to talk to the 911 operator. Was she trying to whisper into the phone so as not to tip you off, or what?

I've been having an email discussion with some of the Clark County Sheriff's people, and it appears that maybe they are getting the idea. Their statement on the audio that they know the law and OC is legal is heartening.

I got the feeling that the "smart kid" remark was as in, smart kid for knowing the law.

The question is whether they would have pulled an unlawfulTerry stopand detainedyou if you were there when they arrived... like the Winco incident.

nathan

imported post

dt wrote:
Wow. I was seriously frustrated just listening to that moron employee trying to talk to the 911 operator. Was she trying to whisper into the phone so as not to tip you off, or what?

I've been having an email discussion with some of the Clark County Sheriff's people, and it appears that maybe they are getting the idea. Their statement on the audio that they know the law and OC is legal is heartening.

I got the feeling that the "smart kid" remark was as in, smart kid for knowing the law.

The question is whether they would have pulled an unlawfulTerry stopand detainedyou if you were there when they arrived... like the Winco incident.

She was trying to keep it on the DL. It was really funny. I was standing in line behind the customers she was helping. She is on the phone with 911 and she and the customers are scanning the store for the guy with the gun. There was only one other guy by himself and they automatically assumed that was the guy until the other checker called me up and they saw me then they were quiet.

Another funny thing is they describe the vehicle I got into as a silver car. I was driving a red minivan so they really screwed that up, too. At one point on the audio a deputy was behind a silver vehicle and was possiblypulling it over.. ;)

I think the smart kid remark was a positve one. One of the deputies sounded pro-OK, one neutral and one negative.

Which deputies have you been discussing it with? I know a few of them now myself.. You can pm me if you don't want to put their names on here.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

That was just hilarious. Did the employee say the gun was "latched" or "attached" to his hip? Do people not know what a holster is??? The only part I didn't like about the audio isthecop that says it's a "stupid law". Aside from that, it's good to hear that 911 dispatch and the LEO's themselves knew the law.

This is a nice opportunity to see things from the law enforcement point of view. I can honestly say that calls like that would get annoying rather quickly. I can also understand how some LEO's would have the knee-jerk reaction of "why don't they just stop carrying like that so people stop freaking out!".

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I hope that the officer did take the opportunity to stop by the store and educate them about open carry.

If someone were to rob a store that would be the one. Obviously they have no idea what it means to be aware of your surroundings and need training on such.

G27

imported post

I'd write a letter to the sheriff telling him you appericate his deputies being in loop with the law and having the information to know that Open Carry is legal.

heresolong

imported post

G27 wrote:
I'd write a letter to the sheriff telling him you appericate his deputies being in loop with the law and having the information to know that Open Carry is legal.
+1 We need to have positive communication as well as negative.

dt

imported post

nathan wrote:
Which deputies have you been discussing it with? I know a few of them now myself.. You can pm me if you don't want to put their names on here.

I've been emailing back and forth with Sgt. Randon Walker, who is with the training unit. He then passed me on to his superiors when some of my requests went beyond his oversight, and I've since exchanged one email with Chuck Atkins, who is the Asst. Chief Criminal Deputy.

Bothof these guys have been more then willingto discuss OC, and havegiven me pretty straight answers to myquestions. It is obvious that OC is kind of a newthing to deal with for the Dept., and they don't want to makeblanket statements on how situations will be handled.

My biggest concernthatI've brought up istheidea that Terry stops are not lawful in an OC-MWAGincident just because someoneelseis alarmed or concerned. At least in most situations, depending on place and time.

compmanio365

imported post

Hmm....I just listened to the audio, and it sounds like the source of the problem was the woman who had a personal issue with you carrying, and once the PD figured out you were just OCing, it was like, "Well, OK.......aaaaand?". I'll have to get over to E WA here soon and you can bet I'll be OCing.:D