• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AL pistol permit help!

StillGlockinIt

imported post

Im going bonkers here trying to figure this out..

I currently have a Civil Injunction (restraining order) on me from an exwhile I lived in Orlando FL. keep in mind I was never arrested orconvicted of any crime.It says word for word on the AL app...If i have any "arrest record" been "convicted" of a felony, crime of violence, or any degree of theft. I will not be issued a AL ccw. I have not been subject to any of those terms, yes the injunction was civily filed on me but no entity being her, the state, anyone has pressed any criminal charges on me to "convict" me of any crime... I might as well try, im not sure what system they go through to verify my info anyway, i'm not going to let my right to bear arms in my own home go to hell because of someone that lives now 800 miles away from me. i would think if it was a federal issue for me not to bear arms in any state it would say so on here, there is no provision for it so how would they expect me to know? I keep reading the AL app over and over and it says only deny if CONVICTED of a crime which I never was. The FL r/o states its only good within the counties of FL but then im getting told about the Lautenberg amendment and its starting to worry me, like I said if it was a federal issue why does it not say so on the FL injunction to inform me of this??

anyone shed some (hopefully good) light on this?

HungSquirrel

imported post

Alabama gives a large amount of discretionary authority to sheriffs. I don't know if the sheriff will try to contact any authorities in local jurisdictions where you previously have lived. If they find the restraining order, they will use that authority to deny the permit.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
Alabama gives a large amount of discretionary authority to sheriffs. I don't know if the sheriff will try to contact any authorities in local jurisdictions where you previously have lived. If they find the restraining order, they will use that authority to deny the permit.

+1. Not to the idea, but to your comment. Give it a shot dude. Hope for the best. Chances are, it'll get denied if they turn up that RO.

Andrew
http://alabamagunrights.org

RangerVet75

Across the River from Ft. Benning, GA., ,
imported post

StillGlockinIt wrote:
I currently have a Civil Injunction (restraining order) on me from an ex...

I think you are screwed, friend. I'm sorry to say it, because from your post I read no reason to believe you physically harmed the lady, but, I don't think the Sheriff will go for it.

To any LEO, a restraining order marks you as a BG. Remember, these are the people who see beaten women nearly every week. Some of those women get their restraining order shoved down their throat when their ex walks right through it and kills them.

I'm sure you are not in that boat. But trying to change an LEO's mind on that one will be impossible. In fact, requesting a CCW permit will definately put you on their radar, however unfairly.

It is something I wouldn't do.

Kingfish

imported post

http://www.jeffcosheriff.org/page.php?p=pistol_permits

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]2. Who may not obtain a pistol license?[/font]
[align=justify][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]There are many people who cannot obtain a pistol license. Most of these are prohibited because of certain State and Federal Laws. All the Laws contained in this question are contained in the Alabama State Code and in the Gun Control Act of 1968. The people who cannot obtain a pistol license are as follows:[/font]

1. No person who has been convicted of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence.
2. No person who is a Drug Addict.
3. No person who is a habitual drunkard.
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
4. No person convicted of a felony or any degree of theft.[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
5. No person discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions.[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
6. No person who has been adjudged by a court as mentally incompetent.[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
7. No citizen of the United States who has renounced his citizenship.[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
8. No person convicted of the Family Violence Act, even though the charge may be a misdemeanor.[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
9. No person illegally or unlawfully in the United States.[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
10. No person who has been convicted of an offense involving firearms.[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
11. No person who has been convicted of an offense involving explosives.[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
12. No person who is not deemed suitable or proper by the Sheriff’s Office.

You may have a little trouble with #12 IF the RO showes up on the background check. I would say go ahead and apply.
[/font][/align]