• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to WI

swillden

imported post

I'm going to Wisconsin (Madison) on business tomorrow, and I just want to double-check my understanding of WI gun laws. Please tell me if I got anything wrong in my reading of the law:

1. I can't conceal. No way, no how.
2. My weapon must be unloaded and securely encased whenever I'm in a vehicle.
3. OC is legal, but likely to be a problem.

My plan is to take the gun in a small safe and pretty much just leave it there, except maybe in the hotel room, when I might put it on the nightstand. Most of the time, accessing it will take me a few seconds to unlock the safe, grab the gun and magazine, insert and rack, but I believe that's the best I can legally do. When I'm not in the car, I'll probably place the safe in my laptop bag (it's small, and fits fine).

Corrections? Suggestions?

swillden

imported post

Thanks Pointman.

I'm not going to OC. Sorry, I'd like to yelp you guys, but getting in any sort of legal trouble 1500 miles from home is a bad idea, no matter how good the cause :). I plan to leave the gun in the safe all the time, and just keep the safe nearby. It means I'm 10 seconds from being armed, which sucks, but I figure it should eliminate any possibility of legal trouble.

As for the traffic; I'm pretty familiar with Madison; been there many times. This is just the first time I've attempted to take a weapon.

Regarding your comment on storing ammunition separately, are you talking about for the plane, or is that required in Wisconsin? It's not necessary on the plane, I've already checked. I'll unload my magazines, put the cartridges in the original box and put the box in the safe with the guns. According to TSA regs, I could even leave the rounds in the magazines as long as the magazine ends were closed (e.g. in a closeable pouch), but Delta requires them to be in their original container or securely enclosed in fiber, wood or metal boxes.

Pointman

imported post

WI State Statute items relative to transportation of a modern firearm seem to be scattered.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Welcome to Madison! The times I've OC'd in Madison have been without incident-- so far. In fact Wisconsin as a whole.

As far as a magazine being loaded and in the same case, I always do that. If a LEO wants to give me grief because they don't understand the law properly, fine. That's a risk everyone has for ANY law. I'm not going to self-limit my rights just because there's a possibility somebody else (LEO or not) doesn't know the law.

I hope you enjoy your stay!

smithman

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Welcome to Madison! The times I've OC'd in Madison have been without incident-- so far. In fact Wisconsin as a whole.

As far as a magazine being loaded and in the same case, I always do that. If a LEO wants to give me grief because they don't understand the law properly, fine. That's a risk everyone has for ANY law. I'm not going to self-limit my rights just because there's a possibility somebody else (LEO or not) doesn't know the law.

I hope you enjoy your stay!
I also transport with a loaded magazine in the same case. I am following the letter of the law, but not necessarily the spirit. IANAL but DA's don't prosecute on whether you follow the spirit of the law, otherwise nobody would be able to exploit "loopholes" in the law. Bottom line is that I am transporting the pistol legally in the language of the law, so I do not worry.

comp45acp

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Hmmm, I'd be interested in joining a "we" with more clothes than the Emperor's New ones - or is this an Imperial 'we'?

Doug,
"WE" are a grass roots movement that you would be welcome to become part of. One thing though, you need to ditch the attitude. "WE" are working hard to recover a lost civil right in this state and nobody in this effort is anything more or less than a patriot intent on restoring liberty.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

And 'WE' are anonymous. *I* am not. I am principled and perfectly happy to criticise and reject and fail on principle. The end does not justify the means.

For instance, without a statement (in no sense 'virtual') of principle rejecting the NRA's means and end any such statement is just Anony Mouse bloviating "no fear!"

My e-mail is publicly available, my PM is disabled for the poison-pen crap and I will not conduct unpleasant business in private. Convince me right here.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

swillden

imported post

Pointman wrote:
I suggest that if you have two zippered compartments, you keep the ammunition in the box it came in stored in one compartment, and the firearm in it's case in a different compartment, because that way there is no practical way you will be in trouble.
It's often necessary to weigh risks against one another, and I think if I were to adopt the approach you suggest, I'd better also keep a supply of rocks in the car that I can throw while I open the safe, open the cartridge box, load the magazine, insert the magazine and, finally, rack the slide. On balance, I think it's probably wiser to take a little risk of a false arrest in order to make the weapon more useful. Particularly since it's very unlikely that I'd end up in a situation where I'm not only stopped but an officer has probable cause to search my gun safe (which just looks like a small, flat black lockable metal case, could be used to transport valuables of any sort).

Unless I felt I had a reason to open the safe and get the gun to protect myself, it's hard to see how the question about whether I could have a loaded magazine sitting next to the gun would ever arise. If I did have reason to open the safe, well, I'd rather have that ability and take my chances with the fase arrest.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

smithman wrote:
I am following the letter of the law, but not necessarily the spirit.

Really, I thought the WI constitution gives the right for security and defense. That to me would certainly be within the spirit of the law considering the supreme law in Wisconsin. What baffles me is how the WI Supreme Court could interpret that right not applicable while in a motor vehicle. You may defend your life prior to stepping in the vehicle and after exiting the vehicle but have no such right to be armed while you are in the vehicle.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

lockman wrote:
What baffles me is how the WI Supreme Court could interpret that right not applicable while in a motor vehicle. You may defend your life prior to stepping in the vehicle and after exiting the vehicle but have no such right to be armed while you are in the vehicle.
It is puzzling, isn't it? :banghead:

Likewise, there is a court of appeals case where it was opined that a handgun sitting on the car seat is "concealed." Whereas, had it been drugs, we all know police could seize it without a warrant because it was "in plain view." LOL, apparently in Wisconsin a physical object on the seat of a car is either concealed or in plain view depending upon whether it is drugs or a gun. Make one wonder what they would have argued if there had been a bag of drugs sitting next to a gun on a car seat.... "umm... that is a, umm,concealed weapon sitting next to that umm,plainly visible...."

smithman

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Likewise, there is a court of appeals case where it was opined that a handgun sitting on the car seat is "concealed." Whereas, had it been drugs, we all know police could seize it without a warrant because it was "in plain view." LOL, apparently in Wisconsin a physical object on the seat of a car is either concealed or in plain view depending upon whether it is drugs or a gun. Make one wonder what they would have argued if there had been a bag of drugs sitting next to a gun on a car seat.... "umm... that is a, umm,concealed weapon sitting next to that umm,plainly visible...."
One of many BS Standards. IF LEOS see contraband on your seat in plain view they can search your car. But a gun in plain view on a seat is hidden. BS I say.

apjonas

imported post

NOT(CONCEALED) != (IN PLAIN VIEW) and vice versa. And remember that different courts often have inconsistent interpretations. It is also quite conceivable that the WI Supreme Court might reverse the "gun on the seat" rule if given an opportunity.

Also there are (very limited and probably inapplicable to the OP) situations where CC is legal. If you meet all the prongs of the Hamdan test, you are ok.

Folks in Wisconsin ought to vote on 4/1 (Supreme Court). This decision will impact OC and CC law for the next decade. A win for Gableman does not necessarily mean a pro-gun majority but a win for Butler guarantees an anti-gun majority. If you cheeseheads don't vote and Butler wins, don't whine on OCDO when you get a bad decision.

apjonas

imported post

Carrying a handgun, even if unloaded, as you describe is a violation of 941.23. Outside of a vehicle, you can carry openly (with exceptions). Inside a vehicle. you simply cannot carry - you will either violate the car carry law (if open) or the CC statute (otherwise). The trunk is an option but not of much value. It doesn't have to make sense - it's the law.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is an open carry forum, not a concealed carry forum.

Wisconsin State Constitution:

Article I section 25
"The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, recreation, hunting or any other lawfull purpose".

The State Supreme Court has affirmed that statute 941.23 prohibits concealed carry by private citizens period. It also says that if the State restricts one manner of carry it must provide an alternate or yield to the amendment. That alternative of course is open carry. It's obvious open carry is lawfull. Try shooting trap with a concealed shotgun.

apjonas

imported post

This is incorrect. If it were true, Munir Hamdan would have been convicted.

Lammie wrote:
This is an open carry forum, not a concealed carry forum.

Wisconsin State Constitution:

Article I section 25
"The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, recreation, hunting or any other lawfull purpose".

The State Supreme Court has affirmed that statute 941.23 prohibits concealed carry by private citizens period. It also says that if the State restricts one manner of carry it must provide an alternate or yield to the amendment. That alternative of course is open carry. It's obvious open carry is lawfull. Try shooting trap with a concealed shotgun.