• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drill instructor convicted after rifle jams

Eagleeye

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
DreQo wrote:
I'm not about to read 50+ pages on another forum in order to decide who to believe in this case. All I know is the BATF has consistently raised hell with people for seemingly no other reason than to raise hell. I also know that it's rather easy to modify AR's to fire automatically. So really neither would surprise me.

I HAVE seen a nondescript carbine go full-auto, supposedly because the "floating firing pin" froze, so I definitely believe that it's possible for a weapon to malfunction similar to what was been described in this case.
then listen to the 30 min mp3
Dude, chill. I just agreed that a weapon definately CAN malfunction and go full auto, as I have seen it myself. I don't feel like reading 50 pages of forums any more than I feel like listeing to 30 minutes of audio! :D
No probs, just recomending the interview audio file, has some real eye openers in it.

jack

Banned
imported post

There is much more to this case than the original poster apparently has knowledge off. The convicted man was buying AR-15s and illegally installing a selector forfull auto fire. The modified weapon had three positions, safe, fire and three shot burst. He had solda weapon to the man firing it and was waiting for it to come in, so he had LOANED an illegally converted machine gun. David Olofson had sold 5-7 similarly modified weapons.The BATFE did there job on this one and enforced the law.You may disagree with the Federal firearmsAct but it's not something to dismiss and violate.

This was not a case of an malfunction or burpfire, he had ILLEGALLY CONVERTED THE WEAPON. There were eye witnesses that testified and the convicted person deserves to be where he is.

Believing every anti-government conspiracy rumor is what makes proponents of the 2nd amendment look wacky.

Some are a bit too quick to defend a criminal when a gun is involved.This is not a gun rights case.

Attachments

• 01030301160801040220080313f20272634449e0ca7a00313c.jpg
    01030301160801040220080313f20272634449e0ca7a00313c.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 326

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

People without ANY firearms loathe the ATF, so there goes that argument...

If it was absolutely clear that he was guilty I'd be ther first to admit he deserved what he got, but it isn't clear and the fact remains thatthat the case is full of holes and the ATF hides behind tax laws. Classic railroading. They simply can't stand up to the light of RIGHT!

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jack wrote:
There is much more to this case than the original poster apparently has knowledge off. The convicted man was buying AR-15s and illegally installing a selector forfull auto fire. The modified weapon had three positions, safe, fire and three shot burst. He had solda weapon to the man firing it and was waiting for it to come in, so he had LOANED an illegally converted machine gun. David Olofson had sold 5-7 similarly modified weapons.The BATFE did there job on this one and enforced the law.You may disagree with the Federal firearmsAct but it's not something to dismiss and violate.

This was not a case of an malfunction or burpfire, he had ILLEGALLY CONVERTED THE WEAPON. There were eye witnesses that testified and the convicted person deserves to be where he is.

Believing every anti-government conspiracy rumor is what makes proponents of the 2nd amendment look wacky.

Some are a bit too quick to defend a criminal when a gun is involved.This is not a gun rights case.
I have read several things on this case from both sides and it seems likely to me that this case an abuse of power at best. Obviously something has made you come to a different conclusion, Jack. I am interested in what evidence makes you so sure that he was guilty and that the ATF case was sound. I have read the arguments you are making but have yet to see any proof. I'm open minded to evidence. Do you have any info or links to share?

Eagleeye

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
jack wrote:

I have read several things on this case from both sides and it seems likely to me that this case an abuse of power at best. Obviously something has made you come to a different conclusion, Jack. I am interested in what evidence makes you so sure that he was guilty and that the ATF case was sound. I have read the arguments you are making but have yet to see any proof. I'm open minded to evidence. Do you have any info or links to share?
+1

imperialism2024

imported post

Regardless of whether the gun was converted in non-compliance with illegal laws or not, I would hardly consider those who manufacture or possess them to be "criminals", or that they "deserve" any punishment, really. There are the laws of man, and then there are the laws of nature...

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

jack wrote:

Did you even bother to read the court transcripts?.......there is NO MENTION of any conversion parts being installed....the selector, in and of itself, has NO EFFECT in making an AR go FA or burst.
If your "5-7 similarly modified weapons" had ANY facts behind it, why would the BATFE choose one of the "5-7" that didn't work as a MG consistently?...and charge him with only the one count of illegal transfer? It took several attempts with several different types of ammo to get the weapon in question to repeat the "burst".
Cite this "5-7 weapons" theory of yours or admit to the "self portrait".....

xd.40

imported post

I don't see the article saying whether he was acting in a military capacity or not. Jusging by the charge, I would assume that he was "off duty" at the time? The military has machine guns already (I know, I've shot them...). It's getting me curious.

jack

Banned
imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
jack wrote:

Did you even bother to read the court transcripts?.......there is NO MENTION of any conversion parts being installed....the selector, in and of itself, has NO EFFECT in making an AR go FA or burst.
If your "5-7 similarly modified weapons" had ANY facts behind it, why would the BATFE choose one of the "5-7" that didn't work as a MG consistently?...and charge him with only the one count of illegal transfer? It took several attempts with several different types of ammo to get the weapon in question to repeat the "burst".

I saw the indictment and read the transcripts.

Mr. Olofson admitted to selling several (Claimed no more than 7 ) Rock River or Olympic armsAR-15's converted to have a three round burst.He installed a selector switch with three positions. The bolts was filed down.The A customer was found in possession of a loaner weapon (an Olympic arms , serial number f7079)until Mr. Olofson was able to deliver the ordered weapon. You can go to the BATFE website and read all about it, instead of trusting the Internet conspiracy clowns. By the way several of Mr. Olofson's customers are cooperating with the BATFE. Comp-tech,I know you see monsters under every bed, but this was a clean case.David Olofson and friends have done a great job of attempting to makeDavid look like a victim, but he is a criminal.

The weapon fired automaticly because it was illegally converted by Mr. OLOFSON to do so.

Eagleeye

imported post

jack wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
jack wrote:

Mr. Olofson admitted to selling several (Claimed no more than 7 ) Rock River or Olympic armsAR-15's converted to have a three round burst.He installed a selector switch with three positions. The bolts was filed down.The A customer was found in possession of a loaner weapon (an Olympic arms , serial number f7079)until Mr. Olofson was able to deliver the ordered weapon. You can go to the BATFE website and read all about it, instead of trusting the Internet conspiracy clowns. By the way several of Mr. Olofson's customers are cooperating with the BATFE. Comp-tech,I know you see monsters under every bed, but this was a clean case.David Olofson and friends have done a great job of attempting to makeDavid look like a victim, but he is a criminal.

The weapon fired automaticly because it was illegally converted by Mr. OLOFSON to do so.
Forgive me for not taking your word for it, but can you show proof?

[edit]
I just re-read the Transcripts and saw "Nothing" even similar or suggesting such within them.

I already knew about the filed bolt carrier part, but that would have absolutely "ZERO" effect on the function of an AR15 other than being normal wear for a AR15 of that age and having had that many rounds gone through it.

Care to show us where you saw this?

[/edit]

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

jack wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
jack wrote:

Just for clarification on the selector...NO SEAR SET = NO FA OR BURST FIRE
unless there is a MALFUNCTION...real simple
Was it the "internet conspiracy clowns" who posted the court transcripts and the videos of Mr. Olafson?
BTW...he never admitted shit...

Still no cite?...what is that called again?...oh yeah.."
Mumblespeak"

Mumblespeak Assembly Instructions

1. Blow smoke (A) up ass (B).
2. Repeat Step 1 as necessary.

Cite proof or be thought a liar by your own omissions

Eagleeye

imported post

Just got done looking around the BATFE's website, and either this info claimed to be there or.

A) Doesen't Exist.
B) Is on a "Internal" BATFE web page.
C) Is a Complete Fabrication by the poster for reasons unknown.
D) It is there and I Missed it, and the BATFE are Fabricating False/Dis-Info to spread across the net.
(None of these claims (baring the "filed" bolt carrier) are even similar to the information contained within the Official Documents concerning this)

HiRoller

imported post

Preach brother....................I did'nt like my Drill Instructors anyway.

jack wrote:

Bladerunner2347

imported post

Couldn’t help but be drawn to your fallacies so I thought I would drop in to keep you strait. Care to back up the BS your spouting? As the person you’re referring to, I know much more than you do on this. Where are you getting that load of baloney? Or are you just pulling thoughts out of thin air?

jack wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
jack wrote:

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

David! Welcome to OCDO. Sorry your first post had to be as such. It's really a decent place around here with some great info and incredible people. Hang in there. There's really a lot of people pulling for you.

Please keep us posted on the appeal and best of luck!