• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC - Youth Shot in Robbery Attempt

LEO 229

imported post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/18/AR2008031803105_2.html

[font=Arial,Helvetica]Youth Shot in Robbery Attempt[/b]
[/font]

An off-duty D.C. police officer shot and wounded a youth who was trying to rob him last night in Southeast Washington, D.C. police said. The incident occurred shortly after 9 p.m. in the 4600 block of Hanna Place. Police said the would-be robber, who appeared to be in his late teens, had a knife. He was taken to a hospital with a leg wound that was not believed to be life-threatening.

Police said the officer was confronted after he got out of his car on his way to visit relatives. They said the officer fired his service pistol. A knife was recovered at the scene. Neither the officer nor the would-be robber was named. Police said the officer was assigned to the training academy and has been on the force for 20 years.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/15636654/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

WASHINGTON -- An off-duty D.C. police officer in Southeast shot a teenager late Tuesday night.

The shooting happened in the 4600 block of Hanna Place SE at about 10 p.m.

Police said the 17-year-old tried to rob the officer with a knife. The off-duty officer then pulled out his gun and shot the boy in the buttock.

The teenager was expected to survive. The officer, a 20-year veteran of the D.C. Police Department, wasn't hurt.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well that clinches it. The DC PD and city gov't were indubitably correct in their Heller position.

Obviously, criminals only rob cops so "civilians" do not need firearms as they will only be victims if they are mistaken as cops. Furthermore, it is obvious from this case that an officer has the shooting ability and self control to simply wound criminals in the buttocks rather than killing them, clearly abilities that a mere mortal "civilian" would not have (although DC cops should note that wounding an illegal alien criminal in the buttocks will get them several years in prison).

LEO 229

imported post

It kills me that DC has so many criminals robbing people and the people cannot fight back.

This cop was able to shoot this guy and stop the act. The kid is not going to be robbing anything for a little while... unless DC lets him out of jail by mistake. (Not that it would ever happen) :lol:

MetalChris

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Or its a 'bad shoot' - in the buttocks
That's what I was thinking...if one of us were to shoot the young thug in the ass, wouldn't we get hung out to dry? After all, the poor defenseless criminal was just trying to run away, and was no longer a threat...

LEO 229

imported post

Come on.... The kid brought a knife to a gun fight!! He obviously believed the guy was not going to be armed with a handgun.

You know what is funny?? How many cops in DC have been victims of DC crime!! The criminalsdo not even pray on who they believe are week. They go for anyone walking in public.

DC needs to allow citizens to be armed.

Marco

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
You know what is funny?? How many cops in DC have been victims of DC crime!! The criminalsdo not even pray on who they believe are week. They go for anyone walking in public.

:question:Are the criminals brazen or are the cops walking around in condition white?

If I remember correctly there have been quite a few in the last yr or two.

Two USSS agentscarjacked, theyhadtheir Hummer and trailer stolen.
NYC cop on vacation shoot (killed?)his attackerthen returned to NY were he reported it.
A few off duty Prince George County cops also had car jacking incidents.
The two off duty DC cops that had their motorbike stolen by an alleged gun totting teen, the teen was shot and killed.

These are the only ones I remember off hand, there might bemore.

Criminals have no fear in some of our largest cities.

The average citizen isn't safe in our Nations Capital and other victim rich cities.

Leader

imported post

If the people of Washington D.C. don't need guns, why do off duty police need them? The streets are safe enough for you & me, why not for a police officer in street clothes? The police should have to lock their weapons up at the police station BEFORE they are allowed back out on the street UNLESS they are in uniform.

If this officer wasn't allowed to carry that gun, this boy wouldn't have been shot. It would be one less instance of gun violence that has to be reported.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Get rid of 60% of the population of Washington, DC, and crime would drop at least 90% overnight...which would mean mugging/robbery encounters would be rare as hen's teeth.

But since that won't happen anytime soon, just carry anyway and everywhere you can.

-- John D.

surfj9009

imported post

Leader wrote:
If the people of Washington D.C. don't need guns, why do off duty police need them? The streets are safe enough for you & me, why not for a police officer in street clothes? The police should have to lock their weapons up at the police station BEFORE they are allowed back out on the street UNLESS they are in uniform.

+1,000,000

Marco

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Get rid of 60% of the population of Washington, DC, and crime would drop at least 90% overnight...
But then who would the people turn to if all/most of the Politicians are gone??

If the peopledon't need guns, why do off duty police need them? The streets are safe enough for you & me, why not for a police officer in street clothes?

The police should have to lock their weapons up at the police station BEFORE they are allowed back out on the street UNLESS they are in uniform.
Agreed!!!!

LEO 229

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

:question:Are the criminals brazen or are the cops walking around in condition white?

...snipped
The criminals know what they can get away with. They are playing the odds that most of their criminals will not be armed.

And if you think about it.... how many law enforcement agencies do they have in DC????

USSS, FBI, Capitol, Park, Meto, Transit, Homeland, plus so many more... My god.... the odds of robbing a LEO are good.

But the criminals simply do not care. It is a free for all there and they know.. I will just drive away since the DC police CANNOT chase you in a car!!!

Marco

imported post

I totally agree.
Agent19 wrote:
Criminals have no fear in some of our largest cities.

The average citizen isn't safe in our Nations Capital and other victim rich cities.
snipped...from my OP

Those are just the LE agencies/dept working in the area.
Have to consider all the vacationing LEO's carrying on HR 218 and the ones from neighboring States.

With so many LEO's in DC(on/off duty)why is the violent crime rate so high?:?
You think there is a cop on every corner.

www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Is it just me or does the fact that the robber was shot in the buttocks strike you as a bit odd?

In order to hit someone in the ass, they have to be facing the opposite direction -- so, did the officer fire while the robber was running? Perhaps he saw the cop pull the gun and he turned around and ran?

No longer a threat?

Not that I don't think that should matter if someone pulls a knife or gun on you, but you know this will be brought up.

possumboy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The criminals know what they can get away with. They are playing the odds that most of their criminals will not be armed.

And if you think about it.... how many law enforcement agencies do they have in DC????

USSS, FBI, Capitol, Park, Meto, Transit, Homeland, plus so many more... My god.... the odds of robbing a LEO are good.

But the criminals simply do not care. It is a free for all there and they know.. I will just drive away since the DC police CANNOT chase you in a car!!!

These areas in DC are limited, and the times of days that you see all the USSS, FBI, Capitol, Park, Metro/Transit, Homeland, and those carrying under LEOSA.

Odds are even better that they will not be in other areas at all.

When DC had the "enforcement" zones, they pulled officers from one area to to another. Guess what the criminals did... They moved to were the officers had been pulled from. Some of them even moved to the Mall causing a big media storm when tourist were getting robbed.

Several of the officers I work with will not carry in DC because of the harassment that DC gives even for legal carry. Many more only come to DC for work.

LEO 229

imported post

Wynder wrote:
Is it just me or does the fact that the robber was shot in the buttocks strike you as a bit odd?

In order to hit someone in the ass, they have to be facing the opposite direction -- so, did the officer fire while the robber was running? Perhaps he saw the cop pull the gun and he turned around and ran?

No longer a threat?

Not that I don't think that should matter if someone pulls a knife or gun on you, but you know this will be brought up.
I would say the guy saw the gun popping out and at the moment of the shot... turned to avoid it and it winged him. :D