Thread: Looking to buy a AR15

Post imported post

hey has anyone every dealt with a James or Erica Paulus out of Stafford. they have a AR15 for sell, I am trying to buy .

Has anyone every bought anything from them??

They are selling a Bushmaster Vmatch for 725.00.

any commits are welcome on these folks

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Never heard of em but they are from up North.

I hope, since you announced their name and your intention to buy this mouse gun, on a well read forum with at least one snitch and a number of LEO's...that you intend to have it sent to a Texas FFL.

Important Note!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Never heard of them. What's the info you have on them? What's the link for the rifle?

Post imported post

Not familiar with them, but you may get better feedback if you post on the Virginia Hometown forum on ar15.com

Post imported post

When I was in the area last week, a friend told me about it,as it was posted on FOR SALE board at his workand I called the number, I meet with James and saw the rifle and was making arangements to get it shipped to Texas thru my FFL and now the number I had for them is not working and was wondering if anyone know these folks.

I will try again in the morning and see if it works.

Thanks for all the help .

Post imported post

long guns don't need an FFL to send/recieve them

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
    You need an FFL to do the transfer of any firearm between residents/citizens/subjects of different States. Many FFL's will not accept a firearm shipped to them from a non-FFL.

Post imported post

As a gun trainer friend said who uses AR-15s frequently and sees thousands of rounds go downrange: get a Colt. It will be to military specification.

I had three Bushmaster rifles and only one worked most of the time regardless of the magazines I used. Reliability (and frustration) was the reason I switched to the AK-47. The goblin isn't going to notice the difference between a 3-4 MOA gun and a 4-6 MOA gun at 50 yards.

If this is for competition, then that's a whole different ballgame.

Post imported post

I plan on using it to shoot P-dogs later this spring in New Mexico, and the FFL I use will accept the rifle from a Non-FFl as long as they send him a copy of there DL or other state or Federal ID card before sending it out.

I still haven't been able to get hold of them to make it all come together.

Post imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
    As a gun trainer friend said who uses AR-15s frequently and sees thousands of rounds go downrange: get a Colt. *SNIP*
    I disagree with your friend. There are numerous company's building high quality AR15s out there. You get a good product when buying Colt but you are most certainly paying for the name.

Just be sure to do some research before making a financial commitment.

Texaschl, I would just move on since you are having trouble contacting them this early in the game. There are MANY AR15s out there for sale and at very reasonable prices. Good luck with everything.

Post imported post

Build your own! I am in the process of assembling my own for my first.

Post imported post

Richie wrote:
    cREbralFIX wrote:
    As a gun trainer friend said who uses AR-15s frequently and sees thousands of rounds go downrange: get a Colt. *SNIP*
    I disagree with your friend. There are numerous company's building high quality AR15s out there. You get a good product when buying Colt but you are most certainly paying for the name.

Just be sure to do some research before making a financial commitment.

Texaschl, I would just move on since you are having trouble contacting them this early in the game. There are MANY AR15s out there for sale and at very reasonable prices. Good luck with everything.
    Don't forget that colt isn't exactly a well known RKBA supporter. IMO you aren't exactly getting what you're paying for either.

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    hsmith wrote:
    Build your own! I am in the process of assembling my own for my first.
    +1! You can build a nice target rifle for around $600, including lower.
    Same here! I've got all the pieces for the lower (Stripped lower, LPK, and stock) and I ordered a complete upper from CMMG.

I've heard good reports about CMMG's "Bargain Bin" ARs: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=1041488&cat=33&&

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

If you need any assistance putting that lower together. Let me know, I'll be glad to help out. I've put together about 5 of my own.

Post imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
    FightingGlock19 wrote:
    You need an FFL to do the transfer of any firearm between residents/citizens/subjects of different States. Many FFL's will not accept a firearm shipped to them from a non-FFL.
    not so. I've purchased long guns (AKM's) in an ajoining state (KY resident buying in TN). I've also shipped long guns via UPS without an FFL, none is needed for a long gun.

Long guns are handled differently than handguns.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I am aware of those circumstances. The question was not what you answered. The question the OP posed does require the firearm be shipped to an FFL. He is fortunate that his FFL in Texas will accept a shipment from a non-FFL. I am aware that one may ship a rifle or shotgun to oneself (but not another) via USPS or other common carrier.

Post imported post

well my FFL called and the AR is in ,its not the one I saw while I was in Stafford, this one is a Bushmaster X15 not the V-match that I agreed to buy. So if anyone does business with the Paulus beware they lied about it and then shipped the wrong rifle,this one had major problems.My FFL is sending it back and the check has not Cleared as of 13:00 today and the bank is not letting it go thru. thank goodness I ws able to stop it.

I have taken your advice and going to build me a tack driver from Parts, I will post it when I am done.

Thanks for all the help

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sorry to hear about your problem(s) with the seller. Glad you were able to stop payment on the check. If you are not on ar15.com, check them out. There are some really good tutorials on building an AR there. Putting a lower together is pretty simple. An upper is a little more complicated but not all that difficult. Good luck on your build!

Post imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
    If you need any assistance putting that lower together. Let me know, I'll be glad to help out. I've put together about 5 of my own.
    Thanks! I appreciate the offer. I've poured over the instructions over at ar15.com as well as found videos of how to assemble a lower. It does look pretty simple so I think I should be ok. My buddy and I are going to have a "build party" when his LPK comes in, so between he and I we should be able to figure it out

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

When inserting the the pivot pin detent spring, some guys find it helpful to assemble it in a large plastic bag in case the detent and spring going flying off somewhere. It beats crawling around on your hands and knees trying to find something that tiny.

To the OP, sorry about the hi-jack.

Post imported post

thats ok , Kaiheitai17 that advice is worth it, I have ordered most of the parts today and will be getting started hopeful in the next 3 weeks.

Hi jacking is ok with me as I learn from it .

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Texas, glad I could contribute! I predict you'll build at least one more after this! It's kinda like crack, you get addicted to building these things!

Post imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
    kaiheitai17 wrote:
    FightingGlock19 wrote:
    not so. I've purchased long guns (AKM's) in an ajoining state (KY resident buying in TN). I've also shipped long guns via UPS without an FFL, none is needed for a long gun.

Long guns are handled differently than handguns.
    Yes they are, but otherwise you are totally incorrect; kaiheitai17 is correct.

No firearms (long, short, Class III, or otherwise) may be transferred between residents of different states, unless the transfer is processed through an FFL in the recipient's state.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b3

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

When you purchased your rifles in another state, you were covered by this:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b2

B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Post imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
    Texas, glad I could contribute! I predict you'll build at least one more after this! It's kinda like crack, you get addicted to building these things!
    Yeah that's the truth! I haven't even finished my first build, and I'm already looking at the second! LOL :celebrate