• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking to buy a AR15

Texaschl

imported post

thats ok , Kaiheitai17 that advice is worth it, I have ordered most of the parts today and will be getting started hopeful in the next 3 weeks.

Hi jacking is ok with me as I learn from it .

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Texas, glad I could contribute! I predict you'll build at least one more after this! It's kinda like crack, you get addicted to building these things!

KBCraig

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
long guns don't need an FFL to send/recieve them :cool:
You need an FFL to do the transfer of any firearm between residents/citizens/subjects of different States. Many FFL's will not accept a firearm shipped to them from a non-FFL.

not so. I've purchased long guns (AKM's) in an ajoining state (KY resident buying in TN). I've also shipped long guns via UPS without an FFL, none is needed for a long gun.

Long guns are handled differently than handguns.
Yes they are, but otherwise you are totally incorrect; kaiheitai17 is correct.

No firearms (long, short, Class III, or otherwise) may be transferred between residents of different states, unless the transfer is processed through an FFL in the recipient's state.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b3

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

When you purchased your rifles in another state, you were covered by this:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b2

B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

eyesopened

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Texas, glad I could contribute! I predict you'll build at least one more after this! It's kinda like crack, you get addicted to building these things!
Yeah that's the truth! I haven't even finished my first build, and I'm already looking at the second! LOL :celebrate