• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello all

section eight

imported post

been reading alot around here and learning some stuff,brought the subject up to one of my part time drivers which is a LEO about OC and what the guide lines were and somethings i didn't understand he cleared everything up for me and to sum it all up CCW permits are a waste of time and money...he even told me if you carry a large amount of money you can CCW without a permit its a loop hole in the law that i never knew about and that i could CCW when i took bank deposits from work to the bank and vise versa which i thought was nice,also asked him about what LEO would do to me if i OC and what things they would ask...he said they would just stop me ask for an id and check my weapon and that was it nothing more also asked about the "inducing panic" and he said "unless people are running around ripping their cloths off and trying to _____ each other like it was their last few seconds on earth its not inducing panic so dont worry about it" and stated if i ever get stopped or have problems to have to officer contact him and he would take care of it...so as of now i OC everywhere i can :)

Pauly

imported post

Welcome!!

I cannot stress loudly, bodly, over-exuberantly enough that you should NEVER conceal carry a gun without a permit. Also, you cannot carry in a vehicle without a conceal carry permit. You can't even open carry in a vehicle without a carry permit. As a matter of fact, the gun and ammunition must be as far away from you as possible and under lock and key unless you have a conceal carry permit. Please head the warnings you are about to receive on this board and follow the educated advice.

That being said welcome and I hope you stick around.

reefteach

imported post

He must be an old timer. Before HB 12, the concealed carry bill, there was an affirmative defense for carrying concealed. That means that you would be arrested and charged with the felony of carrying a concealed weapon, but you could claim in court that any "prudent person" in your situation would have done the same. After HB 12, the affirmative defense for handguns was abolished. There is still an affirmative defense for carrying a long gun into a business that sells alcohol though. I don't suggest that you try it out. Seems like a big hastle.

Legba

imported post

Yes, you can and will get busted for CCW for concealed carrying of a handgun without a permit/license in Ohio (felony-4, I know that law quite well: ORC 2923.12). The "prudent person" affirmative defense applies only to weapons "other than a handgun and other than a dangerous ordnance," as the law stands now. So, machetes and "riot" shotguns are OK under your trench coat (good luck selling the cops on that, even if it is "prudent"), but not pistols.

Remember that an affirmative defense is just that - a defense. You can still be charged and you will have to admit that you were engaging in this legally-questionable behavior, but with justification. It may be a matter of fact for a jury to decide, and indictments and trials will throw a wrench in your life bigtime, even if acquitted.

Welcome to the forum.

-ljp

Brian D.

imported post

Section Eight welcome to the forum please heed the advice of Pauly reefteach and Legba the guy you know who is a part time driver and a LEO is completely wrong about most everything he told you its a bad idea to get your legal advice from police officers rather than lawyers or by reading the lawsfor yourselfthe loop hole he mentioned has been gone for over four years and one more thing please try to break up your posts with some punctuation such as commas and periods so I never again have to do this back to you in a sort of friendly way its really annoying to read this kind of long rambling run on post isn't it?

section eight

imported post

i was just relaying what i was told by him..yes he is an old timer (retired and just part time now) sorry i have not had the last four years to review post or catch up on my laws thats why i'm here now getting the right info but thank you everyone for clearing everything up so i dont get busted

Ohio Patriot

imported post

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, an Ohioan could carry a CCW without a license IF he believed it was absolutely necessary. If he got busted, and if he could convince a jury that it was a prudent thing to do, then he could get away with it.

Not so today.

Today, if you want to carry a CCW, you must have a license. There is no "prudent defense" option. Those days are gone. You must have a license.